Complicated_Mind
MonasheeMan

Legalization of Prostitution in the United States

Complicated_Mind

Complicated_Mind

Pro

Title says it all. I, Pro, am debating in favor of legalizing prostitution in the United States of America, while Con will be arguing againstsuch a proposal. I believe that legalizing it will be beneficial to some while it will bear no harm or affect on others. Regardless I believe that the pros outweigh the cons in this issue. I believe it should be legalized as long as the prostitutes should get regular STD tests etc., as they do in certain parts of Nevada.

[1]: Meaning of legalize: To make legal or lawful; authorize or sanction by law.

[2]: Meaning of prostitution: One who solicits and accepts payment for sex acts.

I hope this topic is not overdone, but I don't really care either way as I see it as an interesting thing to debate.

First round is acceptance only.

Second round are arguments only.

Third round are rebuttals only.

Thank you to any readers and especially to whoever my opponent is. I look forward to a well-done, cordial, thought-provoking debate.

[1]: http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

[2]: http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

MonasheeMan

Con

I accept your challenge.
Complicated_Mind

Pro

NOTE: Before we start, I would like to remind my opponent that I have full burden of proof. I thought I had written this in my first round, but I don't think I did. We may share it, too, if my opponent wants to write specific contentions of his own.

I would personally like to give my gratitude and thank MonasheeMan for accepting this debate. I really do look forward to it.

Victimless Crime

As most of you should know, prostitution is the act of two consenting adults have sexual intercourse in exchange for money. Being a prostitute as well as using the services of them is the choice of the people involved and denying them the right to choose is violating the fact that this is a free (mostly) country where we are allowed to make our own decisions as long as it does not infringe upon others. Moreover, a prostitute can just as likely be a fully functioning member of society as anyone else. As long as they get regular STD tests, require condoms, (which they do in certain parts of Nevada) etc., it should bear no harm on anyone including the consenting adults.

Casual Sex is Already Rampant (and Morality)

People have casual sex all the time nowadays. Legalizing prostitution will not worsen the sacredness of sex because of this. Additionally, morality should not come into play when making laws as it is not the government's job to tell us what is morally right and wrong. Another common contention on the con side is that it will ruin the sacredness of virginity, however that is already refuted earlier. Also, common sense tells us it is not likely that a virgin would be working as a prostitute.

Look at Certain Counties in Nevada (STD Rates)

Repeated research has confirmed that the STD rates are not any more rampant there than they are anywhere else. In fact, the rates are reduced. Because it is legalized there, it is regulated by the government. Furthermore, because it is legal, there is no reason to hide the brothels or make an underground market where sleazy men go with unprotected, untested women illegally. This significantly decreases the STD rates among Nevada prostitutes. When a brothel is legally run and has the aid of the government, the women are usually clean contrary to popular belief. Other prostitutes are only dirty b/c it is illegal. I will go into more depth in later contentions. In Nevada they require the men to use condoms and they require that the women are tested for STDs frequently.

We see very little STDs among the working girls in these brothels,” says Dr. Randall Todd, who as state epidemiologist is in charge of tracking sexually transmitted diseases. “Brothel sex is extremely low-risk, probably a lower risk than to pick up someone in a bar whom you don't know.”

http://www.overdriveonline.com...

It Would Reduce Violence Against Prostitutes and Help them be Safer

If legalized, prostitutes will no longer be controlled by pimps who force the women to give them their money in exchange for their safety. Underground prostitution would no longer be widespread. Usually the women are also too afraid to have the aid of law enforcers as prostitution is illegal. Legalizing it will help the prostitutes be safer and to gain the needed help of law enforcers.

Police officers are also overburdened trying to crack down and find prostitutes. Money is being wasted in trying to teach law enforcers how to crack down on men and women engaging in a victimless crime.

Not a single legal brothel employee has tested positive HIV since 1986, however more than 500 illegal brothel workers in Las Vegas (where it is still illegal) have tested positive with the virus.

It would Help the Economy and Create Jobs

It would create jobs for obvious reasons and would dramatically help the sluggish economy. Making it a legitimate job would allow for tax money to pay off taxes.

http://voices.yahoo.com...

http://ireport.cnn.com...

It's Always Going to be There

Prostitution is probably the oldest profession out there (or at least one of them). The world will arguably never be able to get rid of them, so we may as well decriminalize it. Prostitution is like any other profession. A doctor gives someone a shot so that they can no longer be harmed by a virus. In turn money is given to the doctor. A prostitute gives someone sex, so that they can pleasure the customer. In turn money is given to to the prostitute. See the similarity? It's like any other job. Most arguments against this should be refuted earlier in this round.

I thank my opponent as well as any readers out there for reading this.

With all that said and done, Con, you now have the floor.

MonasheeMan

Con

MonasheeMan forfeited this round.
Complicated_Mind

Pro

No, no, no. You've got to be friggin kidding me! This is like the fourth time this has happened to me.

I suppose my arguments stand without any attacks or refutations.

Responding in the next round will be bad conduct as I can't respond, so you've lost the debate...
MonasheeMan

Con

MonasheeMan forfeited this round.
Posted by Complicated_Mind 3 years ago
Complicated_Mind
Oops. I didn't mean to put "Not a single legal brothel employee has tested positive HIV since 1986, however more than 500 illegal brothel workers in Las Vegas (where it is still illegal) have tested positive with the virus." Under my crime contention but under the STD rates contention.
Posted by Complicated_Mind 3 years ago
Complicated_Mind
I'm not talking to you, MonasheeMan. I was talking to ProfJacob. You did fine.

You (MonasheeMan) were supposed to right "I accept your challenge" or something like that. That's what you did. The first person to comment (ProfJacob) was being an idiot and claiming that I broke my rules when I clearly did not.
Posted by MonasheeMan 3 years ago
MonasheeMan
Complicated_Mind, I just assumed that the first round was acceptance only seeing as you hadn't posted any actual arguments.
Posted by Complicated_Mind 3 years ago
Complicated_Mind
@ProfJacob: It is an unspoken rule for the instigator to set parameters and rules for the debate in the first round. Isn't that common sense? How was I supposed to accept my own debate? Was I simply supposed to put "I accept?"

Use your friggin brain next time. Please?
Posted by ProfJacob 3 years ago
ProfJacob
Pro, you already lost. First round was for acceptance ONLY! However, you also listed rules.
Vote Placed by codemeister13 3 years ago
codemeister13
Complicated_MindMonasheeManTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF by Con results in an automatic loss of all points from me.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Complicated_MindMonasheeManTied
Reasons for voting decision: I hate forfeits. I hope you can find an opponent against which to debate this topic.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Complicated_MindMonasheeManTied
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
Complicated_MindMonasheeManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con loses by forfeit...a very disappointing outcome