katiesnappy
Kumquatodor

Legalization of Recreational Marijuana

katiesnappy

Con

The legalization on marijuana for recreational purposes will only amplify rates of drug usage among individuals at all ends of the age spectrum. Psychologically, legalizing marijuana would send the message that using it would be acceptable, which it clearly generates more complications than it solves. From a legal standpoint, laws would need to be altered in order to accommodate for committing or engaging in criminal activity under the influence of marijuana. Needless to say, our tax-payer funded public health care systems would use taxpayer money to fund both medical and rehabilitative treatment for those involved with the substance.
Kumquatodor

Pro

I accept!
katiesnappy

Con

Great! I will post my opening statement again for you to respond to.

Kumquatodor

Pro

Oh... Well... OK.

Psychologically, legalizing marijuana would send the message that using it would be acceptable, which it clearly generates more complications than it solves.
But it IS acceptable. There is no reason why an adult shouldn't be aloud to use. Why is it unacceptable.

From a legal standpoint, laws would need to be altered in order to accommodate for committing or engaging in criminal activity under the influence of marijuana.
How and Why? Those Under the Influence of Alchohol are considered responsible for their actions. Treat marijuana the same way.

Needless to say, our tax-payer funded public health care systems would use taxpayer money to fund both medical and rehabilitative treatment for those involved with the substance.
How is that worse than 10x that amount being used to fund 10+ year prison sentences for posession of a drug that only hurts the person who uses?
katiesnappy

Con

katiesnappy forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Pro

OF COURSE!
katiesnappy

Con

To address your first point, you stated an opinion that is not based on any facts other than your own beliefs. To you it may be acceptable to use a Class 1 Controlled Substance recreationally, and that is fine. However, I cannot sufficiently argue this point to do the lack of viable support. I am not going to argue your personal opinion because we are all entitled to freedom of beliefs, but I will answer your last question by saying that it is "unacceptable" because of the psychological and physical health complication associated with marijuana usage.

You say that committing crime under the influence of marijuana should be treated the same was as cases involving alcohol. Yes, I agree with that statement if marijuana were legal. However, I said that the laws would need to be altered to accommodate for committing or engaging in criminal activity under the influence of marijuana, and you agreed. In order to 'treat marijuana the same way' as alcohol, you have to change and create new laws because there are no laws currently dealing with legalized marijuana and being under the influence while committing a crime (driving or otherwise).

I am not sure I understand the last point you brought up. People do not serve 10+ year prison sentences for marijuana usage and/or possession, nor will they ever be subjected to. Individuals serving that lengthy of a sentence committed felonies in conjunction with marijuana usage, such as drug trafficking and violent crime/robbery. Possession of marijuana with no other criminal history or charges usually results in a misdemeanor charge. For example, in Virginia, a first offender possessing one half ounce or less of marijuana is subject to 30 days maximum incarceration or a maximum fine of $500. The only crimes that result in a possible prison sentence longer than 10 years are: possessing 5lbs of marijuana (5-30 years), more than 100kg (20 years- life), selling to a minor who is at least 3 years younger (2-50 years), manufacturing marijuana (5-30 years), transporting more than 5 lbs. into the state (5-40 years), manufacturing/distributing/selling/giving/possessing hashish oil with intent (5-40 years), and bringing more than 1 oz. of hashish oil into the state (5-40 years) {1}. Also, the fines for these crimes can serve as an alternative to any incarceration/reduced sentence. The fines range from $1000 to $1,000,000 depending on the crime and whether or not it was a repeat offense.

{1} http://norml.org...
Kumquatodor

Pro

I am not going to argue your personal opinion because we are all entitled to freedom of beliefs, but I will answer your last question by saying that it is "unacceptable" because of the psychological and physical health complication associated with marijuana usage.
But WHY is it unacceptable to damage yourself? Don't people have the right to damage their own bodies?

However, I said that the laws would need to be altered to accommodate for committing or engaging in criminal activity under the influence of marijuana, and you agreed.
Fair enough, but its the governments JOB to alter laws.

I am not sure I understand the last point you brought up. People do not serve 10+ year prison sentences for marijuana usage and/or possession, nor will they ever be subjected to.
OK., you are right. However, we would save so much money! If drugs are legal, we can tax drugs, and the money will pay for more important things.

This site shows that we could save BILLIONS.

http://norml.org...
katiesnappy

Con

katiesnappy forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Pro

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.