Jellyfysh624
LostintheEcho1498

Legalization of Recreational Marijuana

Jellyfysh624

Pro

Marijuana should be legalized for recreational consumption. It should be up to the individual to decide whether or not they wish to consume marijuana, regardless of what ever health effects it has on the body. If one enjoys passing their time by smoking marijuana that should not be an activity that is considered illegal. The three inalienable rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. the catch to these rights is you only have them if you are not infringing on another individuals rights. therefore if murder is how you pursue happiness that would not be allowed due to the fact that it infringes on your victims rights. As long as ones consumption of marijuana does not infringe on the rights of another individual, one should be allowed to consume it as they see fit.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

I accept your challenge and will proceed to counter your already placed argument. Here we go:

1. You claim and I accept the idea that infringing on someone else's inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is illegal and wrong.

2. If you accept this then I only need to prove that smoking marijuana infringes on others inalienable rights.

3. According to the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), an estimated 10.3 million people aged 12 or older (or 3.9 percent of adolescents and adults) reported driving under the influence of illicit drugs during the year prior to being surveyed. This was higher than the rate in 2011 (3.7percent) and lower than the rate in 2002 (4.7 percent). By comparison, in 2012, an estimated 29.1 million persons (11.2 percent) reported driving under the influence of alcohol at least once in the past year. (This percentage has dropped since 2002, when it was 14.2 percent.) After alcohol, THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), the active ingredient in marijuana, is the substance most commonly found in the blood of impaired drivers, fatally injured drivers, and motor vehicle crash victims. Studies in several localities have found that approximately 4 to 14 percent of drivers who sustained injury or died in traffic accidents tested positive for THC. (http://www.drugabuse.gov...)

4. The previous statement would help in my assertion that marijuana impedes on inalienable rights because when people use and drive, they are a hazard to everyone around them and themselves.

5. The use of marijuana also can be gained through second-hand smoke and from pregnant women. Women who smoke and are pregnant have more deformed and mentally challenged children because of its affects on the chemistry of the brain.

Over to you, Pro
Jellyfysh624

Pro

I will now back off from the assertion that marijuana should be legalized entirely and generally. To attempt to argue the general statement of "Marijuana should be legalized" would result in my definite defeat.

This is my first argument on here and i don't exactly know all the rules, so shifting my perspective in the way that I am about to do may result in my defeat.

I should have argued "Marijuana should be legal in a private setting. So if you wish to continue the debate with this i would be glad. As for the previous topic you have the win.

Marijuana should be legalized, and along with its legalization strict laws should be made to stop public usage. If one is found under the influence while driving they should receive an extremely harsh punishment. I believe the punishment for drunk driving should also be severely increased, but that is a different argument. One should only be aloud to use marijuana on there private property. This eliminates the possibility of non-consensual second hand smoke. This means that if you are a man who smokes marijuana at your home, and you have a wife who is pregnant, than she is consenting to receiving the second hand smoke, if she does not consent and she also owns the property then you are in violation of her right to decide what goes on in her home. If she does not consent and does not own the property then she has the choice to leave your property.

By limiting the use of marijuana to only the private setting of the user, this effectively does not infringe on any one else's rights.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

LostintheEcho1498 forfeited this round.
Jellyfysh624

Pro

My opponent has chosen to not respond this round. I was hoping to further our discussion over the issue, but I will stay hopeful that my opponent responds in the next round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

Hello and my apologies. I want to thank my opponent for staying professional. Regardless, you should know that changing the topic midway is frowned up generally and so I would ask voters to null this as you did not know. I now move to argue your new point:
To restate the new resolution, my opponent states that he is pro for "Marijuana should be legal in a private setting". I will be against this resolution.

1. In a private setting, it can be agreed that this would generally help stop the use of marijuana in public.

2. "If one is found under the influence while driving they should receive an extremely harsh punishment. I believe the punishment for drunk driving should also be severely increased, but that is a different argument." This I can agree with also. This is also already happening but drunk and high driving still happens anyway. My point is that while these punishments are severe, people will do it as long as it is legal and even when it isn't. Making it legal just makes people feel more at ease with doing it and more often leading to more problems.

3. Moving marijuana to a private setting still affects the rest of society. This has to do with the, "If you are not with us, you are against us" type thing. If someone is not contributing to society they are detrimental to society. People smoking marijuana, even privately, still affects our society negatively. Let me paint a picture for you. Let us say there is a man who owns a private piece of property and can smoke marijuana. He then has a party on his private land. Then all the people there are smoking marijuana. These people are influencing society by showing people that smoking marijuana is okay as long as you do it in the right place. It is the same as trying to prove that alcohol has a positive affect on society. Just because it is legal does not make it good. Drinking mainly happens in clubs, bars, etc. and in the home. Alcohol is still one of the number one killers in America, right next to smoking Tobacco. Making marijuana legal only validates peoples belief that they should do whatever they want because they are "only doing it to themselves." The fact of the matter is they are not. When they crash into someone's car and kill a parent's children, they are not just hurting themselves. Expounding on that, most drunk or high drivers survive car crashes because their body is in a relaxed state and so the muscles are not contracted, making bleeding slower and causing less damage. Therefore, they are hurting others more than themselves. Let us look at this in a different way. Welfare. People on marijuana have slower brain capacity because of its affect on the brain. This directly affects your paycheck in modern society. The higher paying the job, the more you need to know. If you can't know things because of marijuana and so get minimum wage, suddenly you find yourself needing welfare to pay for expenses as well as your intake of marijuana. Suddenly, the American tax dollar is supporting someone who is legally addicted to drugs and will continue to do so as long as they can. Making marijuana only legal in a private setting does little but encourage the use of marijuana, legally and illegally.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
Smoking marijuana is not a victimless crime. I am not going to argue, however, as I can see this is a personal matter and you need to come to terms on your own time with me only making it worse. I am sorry for your poor circumstances in the past.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
wrong, he smoked the joint of his own volition. But the 2 years less a day was by the judges volition. A harsh sentence for a victimless crime. My family had to go on welfare. That is not justice.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
So you are saying it is the law enforcement's fault because your father decided to break federal law and got caught? I can understand that some blame is on the prison but ultimately, your father was there of his own volition.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
the greatest harm from marijuana to an individual or a family unit is caused by law enforcement. They sent my dad to jail for smoking a joint, he died in jail.