Shamman1835
logomachy

Legalization of marijuana

Shamman1835

Pro

I am for the legalization of marijuana off the stern reason that it is not harmful and won't kill you the way a cigarette could or harder drugs such as cocaine or crack would. Their are also certain positives that are overlooked that this drug helps with such as failing vision terminal diseases and a lot more.
logomachy

Con

P1: The legalization of marijuana would put thousands of marijuana street dealers out of business.
P2: Marijuana may not be a direct cause of death, but just like cigarettes it increases the probability of lung damage. http://www.drugabuse.gov...
P3: Heavy use of marijuana stalls brain development in youth. http://www.sciencedaily.com...
P4: Marijuana's medical practicality is not unique as there are plenty of other legal and more effective alternatives.

C: Marijuana should not be legalized.
Shamman1835

Pro

P1: Prohibition of this substance must over weight the lost of personal freedoms.
P2: Also legal prohibition does not stop consumers from purchasing the drug.
P3: It has been found to have profound medical use with people with terminal illness, cataracts and even cancer.
P4: The war on drugs is significant to the politicians.
logomachy

Con

Addressing P1: Laws exist to limit personal freedoms for good reasons. There are good reasons for not legalizing this substance. These reasons are outlined in my premises in Round 1.
Addressing P2: According to your argument, there is no reason to legalize marijuana. Consumers can purchase it either way.
Addressing P3: Legal medicine has been found to have profound medical use with all that you mentioned.
Addressing P4: There is no direct correlation between your premise and your argument. While this may be a fact, it does not imply that marijuana should be legalized.

My arguments from Round 1 still stand.
Shamman1835

Pro

Shamman1835 forfeited this round.
logomachy

Con

We need 3 rounds. This round won't count since you missed its deadline.
Shamman1835

Pro

Addressing P1: If you want to keep marijuana illegal, the marijuana dealers should be the least of the issue. if it was legalized like it is in certain states like Colorado and California it could be moved from the black market and taxed.<
Addressing P2: According to your argument it raises your probability of getting lung cancer, being around a person smoking such as second hand smoking could also raise your risk however I don't see society trying to eradicate cigarettes. Especially at the fact that it is very expensive.<
Addressing P3: A lot of legal medications have side effects and though may treat symptoms may cause problems in other areas which would make an individual get hooked on more addictive medication. With people with terminal illnesses it subtracts that.<
Addressing P4: Medical marijuana use is actually unique off the fact that it has been utilized in higher amounts since society has opened their eyes. Your argument also goes from supporting the drug dealers to bashing medical use.
logomachy

Con

Response 1: What supports your claim that marijuana dealers should be the least of the issue? Saying what would happen to the drug if it was legalized does not address my initial premise which raised the issue of the dealers being unemployed if marijuana was legalized. It doesn't look like my P1 was actually addressed.

Response 2: Cigarettes were used as an example by me because they were brought up by you. However, the issue itself does not involve them. My argument was that marijuana increases the probability of lung damage and the eradication of cigarettes is not relevant to it. Your red herring is furthered when you bring up the cost of something that has nothing to do with the legalization of marijuana.

Response 3: While you have given no proof of the side effects of legal medications that can replace marijuana, here is proof that marijuana is no exception when it comes to negative side effects: http://www.lcsun-news.com...
Marijuana, if legalized, would not necessarily be a better alternative to other medicines because just as other medicines, it has risks and side effects.

Response 4: I would expect society to have trouble utilizing marijuana with closed eyes. My argument is that marijuana should not be legalized. I did not bash medical use nor did I support drug dealers. Bringing up the issue of putting thousands of street dealers out of a job supported my argument as did my claim that marijuana's medical use is not more effective than that of other medicines.

My initial arguments stand to support my conclusion that marijuana should not be legalized.

This debate is over as we are only supposed to have 3 rounds. Let's both write "ok" for the next round so that the debate will be concluded and move into its voting period.
Shamman1835

Pro

Shamman1835 forfeited this round.
logomachy

Con

I forfeit this round too.
Posted by liberal17 2 years ago
liberal17
Why is drug dealers being put out of business a bad thing. LOL!