poysmith
harrytruman

Legalization of same sex marriage in the Philippines

harrytruman

poysmith

Pro

Legalization of same sex marriage in the Philippines is not only an implication that we Filipinos follow the trend with other countries, it is undeniable that we have a number of same sex couples in the country, we are simply attending to their needs and of course their rights.
harrytruman

Con

First of all, the gay movement is pretty ridiculous because they've never been deprived of life, liberty, or property. Second of all, the way the Philipenos decide to run their country is the Philippinos business, and we shouldn't force them to believe and act a certain way.
poysmith

Pro

poysmith forfeited this round.
harrytruman

Con

Harrytruman wins by knockout!
poysmith

Pro

poysmith forfeited this round.
poysmith

Pro

poysmith forfeited this round.
poysmith

Pro

poysmith forfeited this round.
harrytruman

Con

I still won.
Posted by 413gallowscalibrator 1 year ago
413gallowscalibrator
Thanks :)
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
@413gallowscalibrator

Nicely said.
413gallowscalibrator
And I'm sorry but defending your side with your beliefs of "humanity's" feelings towards same sex couples isn't exactly the strongest. You may claim it to be "inhuman" or "disgusting" but I don't, and we're both still human. So what it all really boils down to is whether to believe in antiquity or suck it up and give a little for equality.
Just because something has been done one way for years doesn't make it right. (Especially when people are miserable enough with the current situation to off themselves.)
413gallowscalibrator
I think you're missing their side of it. They have been oppressed for centuries not just in the Philippines. With changes in society becoming more relevant and accepted (civil rights movement) it seems like an auspicious time to get out there and change the current situation. The movement really isn't all that unreasonable. The gay rights movement is an act for acceptance and equality. Would you really rather force people to do things the same as you just because you think they fit into your idea of society better? Are you encouraging 8th graders to bully gay individuals into committing suicide just because that's who they are? Because if you I'm sorry but something about that just doesn't feel right.

And maybe a difference in flavor isn't exactly the best comparison. But how about religion? Honestly today there are still conflicts between religions: whether you're a jew or a gentile. And I'm not the only one who disagrees with the conflicts between beliefs in a higher power or none at all. Thomas Jefferson once said: "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg".

This idea can easily apply to same sex couples "It does me no injury for my neighbor to love someone of their gender or the opposite. it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

Yes you may not agree with their decisions but during the civil rights movement plenty of people argued that people of color should not be aloud certain rights. Are we simply going to let history repeat its self or can we as humanity learn to accept those who are different from ourselves?
Posted by harrytruman 1 year ago
harrytruman
No, there is a difference, liking a different flavor of ice cream is one thing, but a correct comparison would be if a particular flavor of ice cream was supposed ed to be biologically disgusting to humans, and stank up the whole city if one drop of it was present, one person decides that eating that flavor is a right and demands every town holds big refrigerators full of the carp, people would protest and it wouldn't go through, I'm not sure why that isn't how it went down.
413gallowscalibrator
sorry! *You may call me a liberal, sure, or ignore what I'm saying entirely but if there's one thing to think over is how would you feel if society couldn't accept you for who you are.*
413gallowscalibrator
Okay. First off define "stupid", second, yes: it is how THEY are created. It's not a choice, it's just how people are born.

And I get it, it's not that easy to understand, but think of it like this. I like chocolate and you like vanilla-- that DOES not mean I get the privilege to go around claiming that liking vanilla is inhuman or not "natural". My opinion does not make me right or wrong, it just is. And besides, just because liking a different gender is a difference between us two doesn't make us all that different really. We're both human.

And to the FBI, sure it may seem a little excessive or "silly", but in all honesty NOTHING gets changed in society without passionate people. The argument may not be for "life, liberty, or property" (though there could be some arguments against that) but really it's a battle for equality and just being accepted. I personally find hope in those who are fighting for it because they're fighting not only for their rights, but also for peace. If you look at what they're really asking for, (and I am generalizing the movement as a whole) all they want is to be accepted by you. Allowing marriage to be a right rather than a privilege is another step to global equality, and when we are all equals that's when the good changes can happen.

You may call be a liberal, sure, or ignore what I'm saying entirely but if there's one thing to thing over is how would you feel if society couldn't accept you for who you are. To me it sounds a lot like bulling in middle school all over again but on a much larger scale. Maybe it's just a liberalist thing, but I don't want anyone to be bullied. Just because my female co-worker is married to a woman rather than a man doesn't mean she can't get her job done.
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
*they have not had
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
@harrytruman

I take back the "common sense" part. That was really rude of me. I apologize for that and my snippy tone as well. :(
However I think if you took a lot at the FBI report it's clear that if the gay community is ridiculous, it is not because they have had life, liberty, or property taken away.
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
@harrytruman

"First of all, the gay movement is pretty ridiculous because they've never been deprived of life, liberty, or property."

https://www.fbi.gov...

I think the FBI (and common sense) begs to differ.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
poysmithharrytrumanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.
Vote Placed by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
poysmithharrytrumanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture is an immediate loss.