05civic
Peleus

Legalization of street racing

05civic

Pro

Every year drunk driving kills more people in the u.s than street racing and yet, the fines and penalties are harder on street racers. Drunk driving kills an estamated 144,000 people a year. Street racing kills an estamated 50 people for every 1,000 that attend street racing. Say a guy gets pulled over for drunk driving right, all he will get is 1 night in jail maby 3 and his licens suspended for a few months plus a little fine. ok, now say a guy gets pulled over for street racing or sucpected of street racing. he gets his car automaticaly impounded, his licens suspended, up to 6 months in jail plus court costs, the fines, penalties, court cots, impound fees and, towing fees will exceed $9,000. Ive heard reports on the news of people getting hit by street racers crossing the street at 1 or 3 in the morning. im not trying to be messed up but, what the heck are they doing on the street at 1 or 3 in the morning? And common sence tells u that when u hear a car halling as eather with a loud exaust or open headders to get the heck out of the road not stand there in the middle of the freaken street and go "aww look at the pretty lights and the loud noise". You would have to be deff and blind not to see or hear then. Ive been going to the street races for about 6 years now every saturday night and not one accedent happend where someone has got killed or injured. Im not saying that it cant happen because it can. Everyone that goes to the street races is aware of what will or could happen. Cops are just mad because we can build our cars to go faster than theirs.
not to mention that there giving us tickets left and right for modified parts, but what about the cop cars? They dont have cats, they are tuned, and they dont have the factort intake system on them so why should we have to have them? Isnt that considered for OFF ROAD USE ONLY!!!
Peleus

Con

My opponent has not presented reasons as to why street racing should be legal. He has said why he believes that the punishment for street racing is too harsh, based solely on death count, but not why it should be legal.

I'll put my case simply. Street racing should be illegal simply because it is dangerous. Similar to speeding it may not lead to death on many occasions, however it's not required on our roads and offers no practical benefit for transport which is what our roads are designed for. I doubt my opponent can show that street racing is safer than normal driving, so while he can argue the current severity of the punishment all he wants, it doesn't change the fact it should be illegal.

At this stage, vote con simply because pro hasn't provided any reasons!
05civic

Pro

My opponent is right that I did not give any reasons why it should be legal. The roads are public roads paid for by every one's tax's. We should be able to race on them as long as no one is on the road and everyone knows what is going on around then. And isn't "know your surrounding's and check your mirrors and pay attention to other drivers" taught even before u take your written test? I grantee you that if there wasn't street racing then there would be more drunk drivers, way more, because then they wouldn't have anything else to do but drink and get drunk. Everyone speeds you can say that you don't but everyone does. Would u rather have a person driving that doesn't know what there doing, how fast there going, or knows what the vehicle is doing? Or, would you rather have someone who knows what there doing where there going and who is on the road? I know there are race tracks to race on but, most of the year they are closed to the public. Most of the people that I know love to go out to the races and have a good time. I've talked to a lot of racers and they all agree that if they make it legal on Saturday nights then they would stop racing on the streets during the day. Everyone that goes out there and races, even the people that watch know what can happen. And, if they make it legal then the state and county's will save money because they don't have to go out and set up all of these road blocks that they just go around. Me personally, I'm tired of being harassed by the cops. I got pulled over for not having my front license plate. Then he said pop your hood so I did, and he started taking pictures of my car saying that I was profiled as a street racer and yet they never caught me or seen me at the races before. If it was legal then there wouldn't be any hostility toward the police by the racers and it would also make their jobs more safe. A few weeks ago there was a story on the news that a 14yr old girl got shot by a cop at the street races. He said that he was aiming at the driver. How do u aim at the driver ant hit the passenger when the car is only going 5 to 10 mph? If they did make it legal then there would me less deaths from street racing because the only time that there is a real threat is when the cop's get there. Then its like throwing a rock at a bee hive everyone scatters, but if the cop's don't get there then they just race until it gets too late and everyone goes home calm and safely. I go out there every Saturday night and in the last 6yrs I've only seen 2 accidents and that was when the cop's got there. (They were just a few scratches on the paint and a few dents) If it was legal then that wouldn't have happened.
Peleus

Con

Wow, I thank my opponent for his response, but I'm not sure where to start.

Counter arguments -

1. The roads are public and paid for by everyone, so you should be able to do what you want when no one is around.

There are a few problems with this assumption. Firstly all people and society own the road equally. That means that roads are to be used for what society intended, for transport and getting around, not for racing. That's what race tracks are for. You have no right to take over the roads for your own purpose, at the detriment of anyone else in society who wishes to use the road at that time for their given purpose. The problem also stems from the fact that you don't know what's up ahead of you, and the road isn't a controlled environment like a race track. Street racers don't mean to kill people, but how is that any consolation for the person killed crossing the road at 1 in the morning. This is what separates the road from the race track, and why it shouldn't be allowed on the road. You don't know when there are and aren't people around.

2. "I grantee you that if there wasn't street racing then there would be more drunk drivers"

My opponent seems to draw a link between street racing and the amount of drunk drivers on the road. Firstly I'd say can you please quote any sources for this link which I find quite ridiculous, and how does legalisation change anything? Are you suggesting that making street racing legal will lessen the amount of drink drivers on the road?

3. "Would u rather have a person driving that doesn't know what there doing, how fast there going, or knows what the vehicle is doing? Or, would you rather have someone who knows what there doing where there going and who is on the road?"

There are two things wrong with this statement. Firstly you assume that because someone isn't a street racer they have no car handling skills and somehow have a lesser ability. For all you know you can be driving along side a champion race driver, simply because they have the consideration of other drivers by obeying the rules doesn't make them any lessor drivers. Also, I would prefer to have someone who obeys the road rules on the road next to me.

4. "I've talked to a lot of racers and they all agree that if they make it legal on Saturday nights then they would stop racing on the streets during the day."

A few things. It's a pretty ridiculous statement to say "If I can break the law on Saturday night I won't break the law any other time, therefore clearly it should be made legal". Limiting the racing to a Saturday night doesn't make the dangers of street racing disappear. Secondly what makes you think that this would be successful? You admit yourself you have legal alternatives available such as race tracks at times throughout the year, however street racers are too impatient to wait for these opportunities. What's going to stop them being impatient and racing on a normal day instead of this supposedly legal Saturday?

My opponent then goes on to try and blame police for enforcing the law, saying that if it was legal this wouldn't happen. Let me tell you that if street racers didn't race, it wouldn't happen either.

Let me ask you this. Why should normal every day road users be put at greater risk to satisfy the urge of street racers?

Do you deny that having cars travelling at high speed will increase the risk for everyone?

Do you agree that the road is not a controlled environment, and as such is always much more dangerous than a race track?

Why do you think that street racing should be made legal, as opposed to opening up say a race track every Saturday night instead?

Why do you feel it's up to the general population to make aware of what streets will be carrying cars at high uncontrolled speeds to they can cross the road safely?

Why do you think road rules are in place?

My opponent has tried unsuccessfully to justify his belief that road racing should be legalised. His arguments are along such lines that because their taxes pay for the roads they should be able to use them however they want, to the police won't get hated as much for enforcing the law (which I argue they shouldn't be hated in the first place).

The opponent has also failed to illustrate why street racing and letting people do so is more important that the risk placed on the general population from cars travelling at high speed. He also fails to illustrate why it's the populations responsibility to work around street races, and not their responsibility to simply obey the law, and take their activities to where they are legally available.
05civic

Pro

Technacly we dont take over the roads. If there is another car comming we get off of the road and let them pass and then line up. The closesed race track we have is Famoso Raceway which has Test and Tune 2 nights a month for 5 months. That is only 10 days out of the year and we only get 2 runs out of the whole day, 3 if were lucky. And, we have to drive almost an hour away plus the cost to get in and to race. But, if the car doesnt pass the inspection then you cant race on the track, so you just waisted all that time, money and gas just to hear that u cant race ur car. The race track isnt controlled eather because anything can still happen. If people would "look both ways befor crossing the road" then they would see the car comming and would get out of the way. If it was legal then people would know what times of the night to use caution. I noticed that my opponent always refers to racing durring the day on a busy Hwy with a lot of cars. First of all if it's busy then thats just asking for an accident and secondly if the other people were driving the same speed then there would be less accidents because everyone would be driving the same speed. ok, take something that you love to do no matter what it is. you want to always do that but you cant. you can only do it for about 2 minutes a month so thats 10 minutes a year. Thats how we feal about racing. Making it legal on Saturday night wont stop all street racing during the day but it will drasticaly reduce the number of deaths. That is true if street racers didnt race then it wouldnt happen but, where do you think all of the racers would do if there wasnt racing? gang violence, drug trafficing, rape, drunk driving, burglary, hommiside, theft? they wont open the race track every saturday night because they "cant afford it" soposadly. the police officers are only hated because they harrass us every where we go. Im almost dont want to drive to the store because there is a CHP passing by my house almost every 30 minutes. Why should we obey the law if the police themselves dont obey it? if it was legal then they wouldnt have all of these programs and laws to "try" to controll street racing all there doing if waisting money trying to controll something they cant and adding more fuel to the fire. And, the more laws they make the more its going to happen, the faster the cars are going to go, and the more fun its going to be to try to get away thats all there doing. if they make it legal then they take away that "rush" of out running the cops. thats one of the main reasions why people do it. you always see people on the news running from the cops and get caught but you never see street racers because they cant catch us. how does it feal to see your tax dollers go to waist because they try to catch us? how much could they save if it was legal and spend that money on other things like schools or help fund hospitals? It costs them roughly 20,000 dollers a night to fly there hellacoptor out to try to catch us. but, they dont and all that tax money is just waisted. Ive out ran that hellacoptor befor its top speed 160mph thats it, my speed omitor says 150mph but I do that half way thru 4th gear and i still have 5th to go. my point isnt how fast my car is, im just saying that its the rush of trying to get away thats the main reasion why people do it. if its legal then they take away that rush. i think that road rules are in place thats the way that the gouvernment gets most of their money. like in New Yourk they fired 200 police officers and hired 100 meter maids so they can get more money. Thats all they care about is money not safety. same thing with our tax's some people are getting an I.O.U from the government because they cant pay us but, what happens if we dont pay a 20 doller ticket they dont care we go to jail because they dont get their money. When they look at street racers they dont see innocent lives all they see are doller signs. they see our cars and think " Sence they put so much money in their cars then we should get some to so were going to make all these new laws saying that they cant race" because they know we will and they will fine us for it and they get money. if they designate times and streets for racing then people would know what is going on at those times. All it takes is a big yellow sign that says CAUTION STREET RACING IN PROGRESS and state the times and dates at the bottom.
Peleus

Con

A street is not a controlled environment. Someone could easily pull out of a side street onto the main road, and it's not up to them to judge if the headlights that are coming at them are travelling at the posted 50mph speed or the ridiculous 150mph. This is what causes accidents and deaths.

My opponent, apart from his love of the sport has failed to show any just cause as to why it should be legalised. His points summarised are "Because I want to do it", "Because we don't have a chance to do it anywhere else" and drawing strange comparisons to the legalisation of street racing and the decline of crimes such as rape.

My opponent as also failed to show any evidence backing up any of his claims for the benefits of street racing.

Essentially, my opponent has no addressed why these benefits of his outweigh the increased risk of death and inconvenience to the majority of the population who simply wish to use the roads as intended, for transport.

As a result, I think street racing should remain illegal.
05civic

Pro

It is true that a car could pull out from a side street but, all of the streets we race on are over a mile long that way we can see other cars coming and it gives us time to slow down after the race. Isn't it everyone responsibility to be watching out for other drivers on the road no matter what the speed? Excessive speeding does reduce accidents. Take the autobahn for example in Germany, there are no speed limits and yet it remains one of the safest roads in the world. A few of my friends lost their jobs a few months ago along with about 30 other people they worked with. I talk to most of them and guess what there doing now instead of working like they used to do. they are selling drugs and making them. The same thing will happen if they don't legalize street racing. That was just 30 people now imagine hundreds of thousands of people.

The legalization of street racing will reduce the number of accidents and the crime rate but, people are to afraid to trust someone else on the road that isn't afraid to speed and drive the vehicle the way it was intended to be driven. People think that cars were intended to be driven for transportation. then why aren't their any governors on the cars so we cant speed? Why do they come with more horse power and upgraded suspension from the factory? Why are they coming with racing seats? Because they aren't intended for regular driving. They know people are going to race them that's why they build their cars like that. Every champion chip race car driver had to start somewhere and that somewhere was the street races. That's how NASCAR was started. They built their cars to out run the cops when they were selling drugs and moon shine. Would it be better if all street racers got their professional racing license before they started street racing?
Peleus

Con

"It is true that a car could pull out from a side street but, all of the streets we race on are over a mile long that way we can see other cars coming and it gives us time to slow down after the race."

If this is true, how come accidents in street racing have occurred in the past? Why have people been killed crossing the road or pulling out from side streets?

"Isn't it everyone responsibility to be watching out for other drivers on the road no matter what the speed? Excessive speeding does reduce accidents."

No, it's not someone's responsibility to look at for people travelling 150mph on a 50mph road, they rightfully assume that the person coming is doing the reasonable speed limit. Also higher speed does not lower accident levels, better driver training does. The lower accident rate on some of germany's high speed roads stems from their excellent driver training rather anything else.

"I talk to most of them and guess what there doing now instead of working like they used to do. they are selling drugs and making them"

Then your friends are idiots and shows how much regard these people have for society, that still doesn't answer the question of why should the general population be subject to increase dangers and inconvenience of street racing to satisfy your thrill seeking.

"The legalization of street racing will reduce the number of accidents and the crime rate"

Incorrect and you offer no evidence to support this.

"Because they aren't intended for regular driving."

Some cars are angled towards sports, and this is simply smart marketing to try and get people like you to buy them. It's a way for manufacturers to make more money, not an excuse to drive like a maniac.

"Would it be better if all street racers got their professional racing license before they started street racing?"

I'm for any driver training, but it would be better if they simply did not do it at all.

My opponent has tried to link together legalising street racing in an effort to lower crime rates and fatalities on the road. He believes by simply letting people go faster it will somehow make things safer drawing false links to places like Germany where other aspects such as driver training are responsible for their safety then speed itself.

My opponent has also constantly failed to adequately answer the question of why people should be at risk for drivers travelling at higher speed, and inconvenience of roads closed off simply to satisfy their thrill seeking.

As a result, I urge you all to vote con.
Posted by vaLLninnaJ 4 years ago
vaLLninnaJ
A grammar Nazi had just died by reading this.
Posted by FallenPDX 8 years ago
FallenPDX
Peleus is obviously a better debater, however for legal grounds there is absolutely no reason to make street racing legal, for safety reasons, in the short run it would cause trouble, in the long run it would lead to better drivers.

also as to Peleus's comment on "germans are better drivers"(worded differently but same thing), thats actually not true, and the cops also go after people for tailgating which is actually a cause for a lot of accidents, the autobahn is the safest road BECAUSE its legal. When something becomes legal people do it less, look at drugs. I dont do any, and wouldn't if it was legal, have a tried them? not many people haven't, but given a choice its the same argument.

I can openly say im a street racer i have a 1994 toyota supra with over 500rwhp, however any type of racing needs something called discretion, a surprising amount of people lack it, when and where to do it, if its safe at that time, i personally for the most part only do it on highways, and only when i have enough room to maneuver, i personally have over 10 years of racing experience(yes i was racing at 11 at tracks.), and have been to hundreds of street racing events, and its not the racing that causes problems, 90% of the time its people simply showing off.

do i believe street racing should be legal...god no. that would be pandemonium.

do i believe it should be sanctioned and there are more times and places to do it? very much so.
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro should have offered a different resolution, such as "Certain public roads should be designated for legal street racing at certain times." Another possible resolution, "It should be legal to modify a car for speed." Then he would not have the impossible task of proving that street racing was acceptably safe everywhere at all times.

Pro's wretched spelling and stream-of-consciousness lack of organization was sometimes hard to follow, but it had real spirit.
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
05civic, You remind me of me 30 years ago, but you know what? I fought the law and the law won. The same will happen to you. You should do what I did to get your need for speed and it will get you more chicks too. Build a bad a## boat, no speed limits and no smog controls, just pure horse power and gorgeous chicks at your side.
Vote Placed by jj22racing 6 years ago
jj22racing
05civicPeleusTied
Vote Placed by gmoore020 6 years ago
gmoore020
05civicPeleusTied
Vote Placed by FallenPDX 8 years ago
FallenPDX
05civicPeleusTied
Vote Placed by RacH3ll3 8 years ago
RacH3ll3
05civicPeleusTied
Vote Placed by konner3 8 years ago
konner3
05civicPeleusTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
05civicPeleusTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
05civicPeleusTied
Vote Placed by Demosthenes 8 years ago
Demosthenes
05civicPeleusTied
Vote Placed by 05civic 8 years ago
05civic
05civicPeleusTied