tylerstead333
Poler222

Legalize LSD and Magic Mushrooms

tylerstead333

Pro

In this argument, I will state why I believe that LSD and psilocybin mushrooms (psilocybe cubensis and related species) should be removed from their current classification as Schedule I substances in the U.S. Many of these arguments will be logic-based, however I will provide links when there is a source to be cited.

My first claim is that these psychedelics are actually relatively safe compared to substances that are considered legal. For my comparison, I will use alcohol and tobacco. Nicotine (the active chemical in tobacco) is considered to be highly addictive by the medical community. Smoking tobacco is shown to cause longtime smokers to lose around ten years of their expected lifetimes(1). LSD, however, has been shown not to be physically addictive, unlike nicotine (2).

The main argument against these psychedelics is that it is very easy to have a "bad trip" (or experience adverse effects) while using these drugs. While a bad trip is always a possibility in the use of psychedelics, the risk of these adverse effects can be reduced to almost nothing by controlling your "set" and "setting". By keeping both your mind/emotions (your "set") and your environment (your "setting") in mind before taking the drugs, you can greatly reduce the risks of a bad trip.

I know there are more arguments to be addressed and refuted, so I politely invite someone to debate me so I may refute them.

(1) http://well.blogs.nytimes.com...
(2) http://www.cesar.umd.edu...
Poler222

Con

When a person consumes a "shroom" or takes LSD the effects it has on that person's body are tremendous. That person will experience extreme hallucinations. These have in the past caused many many deaths not to even mention all the side effects of taking the drugs. When people are using these drugs they can not see or think clearly and because of the people have gotten into accidents with vehicles, they also have killed people and been killed when they don't know what they are doing there are extreme health risks as opposed to cigarettes. When you are smoking a cigarette or drinking yes there may be clouded judgment and other side effects but nothing as bad as when you are on LSD alone.
tylerstead333

Pro

tylerstead333 forfeited this round.
Poler222

Con

Poler222 forfeited this round.
tylerstead333

Pro

tylerstead333 forfeited this round.
Poler222

Con

Poler222 forfeited this round.
tylerstead333

Pro

tylerstead333 forfeited this round.
Poler222

Con

Poler222 forfeited this round.
tylerstead333

Pro

tylerstead333 forfeited this round.
Poler222

Con

Poler222 forfeited this round.