Ahking
Krieger

Legalize Marijuana for ALL uses.

Ahking

Pro

Marijuana should be completely legalized for medical and recreational use.

Marijuana is completely safe.

Marijuana is very healthy.

The illegality of Marijuana and criminalization of Marijuana users is an unnecessary and harmful restriction on American culture and its citizens.

I await someone to challenge these three points.
Krieger

Con

For the record, I am for the legalization of marijuana for medicinal purposes - NOT for recreational use.

Marijuana is not completely safe. Period. It's not. When smoke enters your lungs, your alveoli shrivel and die - they can no longer be used. The effects of smoking marijuana for a long period of time are no less serious than smoking cigarettes for a long period of time. Cardiovascular disease and cancer are still risks, not to mention decreased mental capacity whilst being high.

For your second point, re-read what I just said.

I fail to see how "The illegality of Marijuana and criminalization of Marijuana users is an unnecessary and harmful restriction on American culture and its citizens."

I am a citizen of the United States of America. I have been since birth. Never once have I thought that marijuana restriction has hindered me or any of my friends and family. There is no doubt it is a "gate-way" drug - by associating with people who have the means of obtaining cannabis, you are most like associating with people can garner other drugs that are much more dangerous.

And frankly, do we want to be part of a culture that condones drug use?
Ahking

Pro

Krieger - Thanks for accepting this debate.

I wouldn't have made such polar arguments like my first 2 if I didn't have some evidence to back it up.

The myth that Marijuana is not safe is one of the biggest. There has not been one single overdose from Marijuana, and in fact, Marijuana does NOT cause respiratory problems like Tobacco does. From personal experience, Marijuana actually opens my bronchial tubes (you'll just have to take my word).

This study concluded Marijuana does not cause lung trouble.
http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org...

Marijuana is VERY healthy. In fact, it's been found to REDUCE cancer rates in the lung and brain. Just read these:
http://www.webmd.com...
http://www.ehponline.org...
http://americanmarijuana.org...

Marijuana doesn't make you stupid either. In fact, it makes your brain work harder. What you choose to have it work on is up to you. (again, this is from personal experience)

It also is not linked to psychological problems.
http://men.webmd.com...

Marijuana is what you make of it. It is safe if YOU are safe and unlike alcohol, it doesn't impair your judgment of being safe. On Marijuana, you are in control at all times.

Marijuana's health benefits have been known for a long time.

Marijuana was made illegal by Richard NIXON. If it wasn't made illegal for being unsafe or unhealthy, then it was made illegal to fight against the hippies. To fight against American culture. People of all ages, professions, income levels, and backgrounds use marijuana, so it does NOT limit one's role to function in society.

Also, because of how harmless Marijuana is, the punishment for having it is outrageous! Possession can result in fines going up thousands of dollars and prison terms lasting YEARS! All for what? Marijuana is SAFE and HEALTHY and its criminalization is thus UNJUST. I know many people who would never break any REAL laws, so why should they be thrown in jail along with the rest of the criminals just for smoking or selling Marijuana?

You said that interacting with people who sell marijuana (and assumably other drugs too) puts you at a higher risk for trying harder drugs. Well, if Marijuana was sold at Walgreens, you wouldn't be mingling with those characters. In fact, they'd be out of the job.

And finally, the price of Marijuana is way too high. I can get into how legalization will actually benefit the economy, but I'm not going to.

Yes, I am a US citizen too. I am a marijuana user. I am in control of Marijuana, not the other way around.
Krieger

Con

Krieger forfeited this round.
Ahking

Pro

Marijuana is safe, healthy, and it's been unjustly demonized.

That's really all I got to say about that, check out the links to those studies too if you need some proof, but many people know these things anyway...
Krieger

Con

Krieger forfeited this round.
Posted by killa_connor 6 years ago
killa_connor
Also any risks associated with carcinogens could be mitigated by vaporizing also.
Posted by killa_connor 6 years ago
killa_connor
It might be carcinogenic (because anything that is burned becomes carcinogenic) but it isn't the type of carcinogens that cause lung cancer. This has been repeatedly demonstrated with scientific studies (type marijuana and cancer into google).

"You are addicted to an extremly harmful substance."

Wrong. Unlike tobacco, cocaine, heroin, and alcohol, marijuana has no chemically addictive substances in it (thus no form of withdrawal). You can become psychologically addicted to smoking I suppose but it would be like an addiction to jogging or gambling.

"It would be just like the problems with the tobacco companies today. Marijuana companies would pop up everywhere and would begin attacking congress with lobbyists."

This is a simple cost-benefit comparison. From an economic stand point what is more detrimental: To legalize it and tax it to pay for social programs or to provide a tax break (provided that there will will be companies that will send lobbyists to protect their interests) OR to continue a prohibitionist policy and have the tax payers pay for the 75% of drug offenders in prison. Not to mention the amount of money continuously funneled into waging the "war on drugs that could be saved. I think your comparison to tobacco companies and lobbyist is a bad example because much of the tobacco company's dishonesty in Washington DC stems from their desire to cover up the bad health effects of tobacco. This leads to slimey policies that are intended to deceive the consumer in order to get them addicted (tobacco companies are more responsible now... I'm just saying this is what they've been accused of). A marijuana company wouldn't have to hide elements of their product or engage in the same sort of business practices because the product is inherently different. It is not addictive and not demonstrably bad for your health which would lead to more forthright and honest business practices.

Chickenman have you ever smoked before? Did you find it dangerous?
Posted by SocialistRI82 6 years ago
SocialistRI82
WOW funny I never heard of a pot smoker getting cancer. In fact no one has ever died from marijuana use (not dealers and gangs but rec. use) So lets no compare it to cigarettes. That would just be foolish. I guess the reefer madness films from the 50's actually did have an effect on people. Must have if they are that scared of it. INstead lets waste billions fighting it. YAY sounds like a great idea. More wasteful spending by our government, what else is new?
Posted by Chickenman 6 years ago
Chickenman
marijuana is seventy percent more carcinogenic then tobacco smoke. You are not in control of marijuana. You are addicted to an extremly harmful substance. Have you ever thought what would happen if marijuana became legalized? It would be just like the problems with the tobacco companies today. Marijuana companies would pop up everywhere and would begin attacking congress with lobbyists. MArijuana is one thing that cannot be legalized.
Posted by WaximusMaximus 6 years ago
WaximusMaximus
As far as deciding the issue this debate is inconclusive. However I congratulate Ahking on his knowledge of the subject and good argument. My vote goes for him.
Posted by solo 6 years ago
solo
Ahking gets my vote for a few reasons, one being that Krieger made the mistake of assuming one reason marijuana should be illegal is because smoking it is harmful. Marijuana can be safely consumed. It is edible and enhances foods in ways that other plants cannot.

Also, he closes Round 1 with, "And frankly, do we want to be part of a culture that condones drug use?" We already do. Alcohol is a drug and it's abused. Prescription meds are drugs and they're abused. Tobacco is a drug and also abused. They are all condoned by our culture because they are all legal.

For the record, any time you over-indulge in something, it becomes unhealthy. As opposed to teaching responsibility in many cultures (like in the USA), breeding resposible behavior gets neglected. Parents don't want to teach their children things like responsible drinking, and then they're surprised and devastated that their children were killed due to drunk driving. It's a joke.
Posted by SocialistRI82 6 years ago
SocialistRI82
***I know LSD impairs the brain and body, I worte wrong in this last comment. Just wanted to clarify. I was referring to negative physical effects.
Posted by SocialistRI82 6 years ago
SocialistRI82
There is no scientifc evidence that LSD has any level of impairing or negative effects on the human brain or any part of the human body. As for marijuana I find it interesting that people are quick to demonize it, yet no evidence has ever been put forth that it causes cancer, has been a factor in anyones death (healthwise), or that it is physically addictive. We allow cigarettes to be sold, which are KNOWN to cause cancer, lung cancer, emphazima, heart failure, strokes, and on and on. Its responsible for 24 deaths an hour in Massechussetts DAILY! Yet pot which has never been proven to cause any diseases is illegal?? Furthermore whats the point in wasting billions of dollars putting people in prison, fighting its sale/use, and denying people the access to its use? This is an example of how the 60's screwed this generation by misleading people and misenforming them. At some point I know it will be legalized, but for now we are going to have to live with the "Prohibition Era". As well as all the undesireable effects that come with it. (See 1920's Alcohol Abolishion effectiveness)
Posted by Ahking 6 years ago
Ahking
I don't really think my opponent is gonna argue with me =(
This is NOT an argument in the debate.

Just for the sake of theory, because I have no proof to back this up (and I'm open to any responses to this type of free-form debate):

What I have found, is that if you work your brain while high, functions like visualization, judgment, reasoning, emotions - thinking in general - are all incredibly enhanced. Tests on attention span and memory are unreliable because attention is a CHOICE. The only reason you forget things you want to remember is because you didn't pay enough attention to it - your own fault.

Marijuana just makes you feel good (floods you with Seratonin). What you do when you've got everything is up to you =)

Most people think a lot when they get high. Whether its about that spot on the wall, how words are formed, the history of the Mongols, or war, these are still your own thoughts and if someone calls you stupid for thinking those things, then that's their problem. It doesn't make you stupid. It makes you free to be and your thoughts flow easily.
Posted by NSG 6 years ago
NSG
All effects drugs, alcohol even tobacco causes damage to your body and brain, if your speaking of specifics, like -LSD, this leads to impaired learning and memory abilities, -Meth, activates certain systems in the brain is very addictive, -inhalants, fatty tissue protection in nerve cells are destroyed this stops or slows down neural transmissions. - Estasy, destoys certain brain cells, the cells that are damaged can't reconnect normally, -Heroin, brain cells become dependent on this drug and the user needs it in order to function. Marijuana, the part of the brain that controls emotions, memory and judgement are affected, weaking short tem memory and can block information making it into long term memory!
Vote Placed by shdwfx 6 years ago
shdwfx
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by flatwhite 6 years ago
flatwhite
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by killa_connor 6 years ago
killa_connor
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by Ahking 6 years ago
Ahking
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by Chob 6 years ago
Chob
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by Chickenman 6 years ago
Chickenman
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 6 years ago
PreacherFred
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by WaximusMaximus 6 years ago
WaximusMaximus
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by jwebb893 6 years ago
jwebb893
AhkingKriegerTied
Vote Placed by Chuckles 6 years ago
Chuckles
AhkingKriegerTied