JTSmith
blond_guy

Legalizing Drugs: The Difference Between a Buz at Home and Buz Behind Bars

Con Tied Pro

JTSmith

Con

Drug use must continue to be banned.

I read your position on a previous debate and was interested in challenging your point of view.
Ill let you pose your argument first.
blond_guy

Pro

Okay, thank you for starting this debate.

Here's why I agree with drug legalization:

1) Drugs are used in America today even though they are illegal. Drug dealing and trafficking increases the crime rate in the country with crimes such as murder and prostitution. If drugs were legalized, you wouldn't be putting money into the pockets of illegal drug dealers, but into the pockets of workers in factories. What the drugs contain will be specified so you know what you're taking, the prices would go down, drugs will be easier to control, kids and teenagers will be able to get drugs less often, etc... I find it easier to buy a dime bag of weed or cocaine in Brooklyn than to get a pack of cigarettes.

2) I find it ridiculous that alcohol is legal and drugs are not. The prohibition laws were repealed because gangsters were able to obtain and sell alcohol very easily to millions of people. The same happens with drugs and drugs aren't legalized. Drugs are actually less harmful if you look at car accidents. A drunk girl is vulnerable to get taken advantage of, however, when you're on drugs you still know what's going on.

3) The C.I.A. is bringing drugs into the country instead of focusing on more important things. The C.I.A. was made to be secretive and resourceful to defend our nation, not to get the nation high.

4) Getting high is awesome! And when I'm 18 I wanna do it legally! ;)
JTSmith

Con

"Drugs are used in America today even though they are illegal"
--So is murder...lets make that legal too

"Drug dealing and trafficking increases the crime rate in the country with crimes such as murder and prostitution."
--Drugs USE increases these crimes, not trafficking and dealing. These crimes are going to be committed just as much whether or not drug use is legal. Legal drugs are still just as harmful.

"...drugs will be easier to control, kids and teenagers will be able to get drugs less often"
--Teenagers will be able to get drugs at least as easily as before. Teenagers shouldnt be getting cigarettes but they do anyway. Half of the time they can buy tobacco theselves. If we made drugs legal, cocaine would be as easy for a teenagers to obtain as a cigarette.

"Drugs are actually less harmful if you look at car accidents. A drunk girl is vulnerable to get taken advantage of, however, when you're on drugs you still know what's going on."
-- "...if you look at car accidents"??? Fine, drugs are more dangerous if you look at ODs...
Drugs are far more dangerous. To the user, they can be fatal. One use of ecstacy has the capacity to kill you. You could drink a whole bottle of windex and have a better chance at surviving than using crude ecstacy. Driving when your high is more dangerous than when your drunk. When your high you can rarely even see clearly...let alone pass good judgment. On the danger scale...drugs will lose everytime.
Your comment about the girl knowing whats going on is complete crap. Drugs are often specifically used to take advantage of girls. people spike their drinks with potent drugs to almost totally incapacitate them. They lace the weed with stronger drugs to ruin their judgment. Drugs get at least just as many girls raped as alcohol does.

"Getting high is awesome! And when I'm 18 I wanna do it legally! ;)"
--there are few things that destroy a life as quickly as drug use. It binds you. You become a slave to a subtance. Your paying thousands of dollars into the hands of dealers who essentially control your life because they control your subtance. I have a friend who spends about $750 bucks a month on weed...and he only brings home $500 a month... my uncles life has been completely ruined by his drug use. He delivers pizza for a living at 37 because no one will hire a former druggy...
Ruining your life for a few hours of feel good...not cool...moronic...
blond_guy

Pro

<<"Drugs are used in America today even though they are illegal"
--So is murder...lets make that legal too>>

I didn't say that was the only reason why we should make it legal. It's just ONE of them that contributes to the overall decision of legalizing drugs. So stop with the irony, it's not accurate.

<>

I heavily disagree. I go to school in Bushwick, a neighborhood in Brooklyn. And so many times you hear of a drug dealer that got shot in the head for selling coke on another dealer's corner. Now, I can't see the Ibuprofen C.E.O. shooting the Advil C.E.O. for selling Advil on his "turf". And that's only one incident, think of all the thousands of gang wars. Gangs supplied with money from drug dealing that they spend on buying illegal firearms.

<>

Like I said in my previous argument. I'm 14 and it's easier for me to buy a dime bag of weed for 5 dollars on the street corner than to get a pack of cigarettes. Honest truth.

Your point on drug overdoses is correct. However, better to have people overdosing (they do it even now that drugs are illegal), than to have gang war shootings.

<>

Well it would be better to give advice through these people while drugs are legal. Just like tobacco.
I tried weed once before, I'm not a slave to it at all! This was 6 months ago. I feel for your family member, but things wouldn't be any worse if drugs had been illegal this whole time.

I await your next argument with much anxiety!
Thank you for a great 2nd round.
JTSmith

Con

<>
-- You act like gang wars are fueled entirely by drug sales. I would venture that the vast majority of gang-involved killings dont relate to drugs. Maybe they do in Brooklyn but not in Denver, Montgomery, Birmingham, DC, and Salt Lake. Beyond that, the legality of drugs would vastly increase the number of users. If you wanna argue about crime rate, lets take a gander at what it would like like while everyone was high. Rape cases would shoot through the roof. The number of DUI's reported would reach an all time high not to mention the innocent deaths that would be involved. Rage murders would become more common. The number of people convicted of manslaughter would take a turn-up. <>
-- Again, maybe in brooklyn, but what about suburban america, or rural america. Ive lived in both and in both places drugs are definitely not easier to obtain then a cigarette. In rural alabama you can run off and buy cigs yourself. In suburbia you can get them through friends and through people of age. Im not saying u couldnt find drugs in these places, but u definitely cant find them easier than drugs.
If we do choose to legalize drugs, however, we make them common place too. We make something 10 times more harmful than tobacco easy for teenagers to get their hands on. We spend so much money and effort trying to convince teens not to smoke so we take something that is far more harmful and deadly and give that to them instead? That doesnt make any sense to me.

< I tried weed once before, I'm not a slave to it at all! This was 6 months ago. I feel for your family member, but things wouldn't be any worse if drugs had been illegal this whole time>>
-- How is it better to give the advice when its legal??? What do we tell teenagers?? "Here it is...perfectly legal...you can have it if you want...but dont take it?"

Lastly, why would be legalize something that ruins more lives than any other substance. Even the legal ones? We run the risk of suffocating our own country because of the generation of druggies that we are gunna face...
blond_guy

Pro

blond_guy forfeited this round.
Posted by sippinsizzurp 8 years ago
sippinsizzurp
It's inadequate to simply use the term "drugs" in this type of debate. Not specifying which drugs your talking about makes everything you say sound ambiguous. Also, alcohol is known to increase drivers' risk-taking behavior and is a primary contributor in on-road accidents while marijuana's impact on psychomotor skills is unsubstantial. Blond_guys first arguments were unsuccessfully refuted and he is ultimately in the right.
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
Just a little note, happier doesn't necessarily mean better.
Posted by ScrewSociety62 8 years ago
ScrewSociety62
Well, being that i'm 15 I have to say getting Cocaine or something even heavier is as easy as getting a pack of cigarettes, and I don't even live in a "bad" area. And Marijuana will only control your life if you let it. I don't do any other drugs, so I wont pretend I know what i'm talking about in that regard, but other drugs most certainty are addictive. But so is cigarette smoking, and that still legal. I spend maybe 10 a week on it, compared to the 35 bucks I spend on my smoking habits. But let me say this, I smoke Marijuana often, and I am by no means a violent person. It hasn't destroyed my life, in the slightest and I will even go as far as saying it's made me a happier person.
Posted by cjet79 8 years ago
cjet79
I don't think Con adequately addressed accessibility issues. Pro's general argument was slightly weaker. But if you directly challenge someone to a debate on an issue of your choosing i think your argument should be clearly stronger then your opponent's.
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
Crime would skyrocket, you would be raped whenever you walked out on the street, golly!

Oh wait, those claims are entirely unsubstantiated and have no evidence whatsoever, because the opposite is true. Crime tends to be steady, use tends to be the same or lower.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
JT I think your round three arguments really did need to be addressed. Despite blond guy's "anxiety" to hear it, he did not post. You get my vote... (sorry for cluttering up the comments section I will shut up now)
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
That was wierd... I obviously didn't mean to post that twice!
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
JTSmith - Awesome pic!! reminds me of when I used to play phantasy star 3 about 15 years ago... Seeing McCain pop out would have been one of the scarier moments in the game...

I have lots of anti drug war arguments (you can find them in many of my debates) but I'll bring up just one concern I have with your argument JT.

You say drugs cost a lot of money, and the American People would be stupid to waste their cash on them. The only reason why they cost so much is that they are illegal! Marijuana is absolutely free. You can grow it as easily as your lawn grows grass. Your friend and uncle have been destroyed just as much by the war on drugs as the drugs themselves. People are not hiring your uncle because he used to have a drug problem; they are not hiring him because he has a bad record. I will not contest the fact that the drugs were inherently detrimental; that is never really an argument (save in marijuana's case); your uncle has a record because of the War on Drugs! Who's business is it to know that he had a drug addiction years ago, if he was helped and got over it (assuming he ever did)? What good does it do our economy to destroy people's records with drug charges? Why would your friend have wasted $750(?) a month on drugs if they were legal and cheap? What good is the drug war actually doing AT ALL other than punishing users and giving the dealers a market so lucrative they can't turn it down.

Gold just soared to $1,000 an ounce. Cocaine isn't too far behind gold, because our drug warriors keep the price up. What do you think drug dealers feel like doing when their products start approaching the price of gold? Throw them away? I personally believe that the drug warriors, who make $1 Billion a week off the American people, are just as bad as the drug dealers, who make just as much. They both compliment each other, and if we got rid of one the other will fall as well. The drug policies are the most abusive laws in this country right now.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion

Vote Placed by ANSmith 8 years ago
ANSmith
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by advidiun 8 years ago
advidiun
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by JTSmith 8 years ago
JTSmith
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by InquireTruth 8 years ago
InquireTruth
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Jamcke 8 years ago
Jamcke
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by cloppbeast 8 years ago
cloppbeast
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Morgs 8 years ago
Morgs
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by numa 8 years ago
numa
JTSmithblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by sippinsizzurp 8 years ago
sippinsizzurp
JTSmithblond_guyTied