Irish_Grin
MLI1997

Legalizing Drugs

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Irish_Grin

Pro

Crime:
During the period of Alcohol Prohibition, homicide rates in America nearly doubled and then dropped back down after alcohol was legalized in the 30's. Once again the homicide rates started to increase again after the beginning of the War on Drugs in mid 1960's and now have gone beyond doubling in numbers. (1)

When drugs are illegal, they become unregulated and are thrown into the palms of the underground market giving money to thugs and killers. In addition, as long as drugs are illegal in the United States, the problems we are facing with the Mexican drug cartels will not go away and even the head of the Sinaloa cartel in Mexico has thanked the United States for keeping drugs illegal. (2) Also Al-Qaeda is generally accepted as one of America's greatest current enemies, but we indirectly give them lots of money through drug trade. Al-Qaeda makes most of its money from the Afghan drug trade which our country helps support with the War on Drugs. (3)

Economics:
If we were to end the War on Drugs, we would save $50.25 billion annually in federal law enforcement, sate/local prosecution, other law enforcement, stolen property, money going to other countries, and gaining billions in taxes. This stat is a bit old so it is more than $50.25 (I believe almost $70) but on paper I am putting at least $50.25. (4)

Misc:
Even with prohibition, America is still has the highest numbers in drugs use in the world. (5)

We are slowly learning the same lessons now as we did with Alcohol Prohibition and that is that the War on Drugs cannot be fought with guns and jails. This "war" has to be fought with persuasion and education. thousands and thousands of people are dieing because of current drug laws. I would rather have 10 users die from drugs than 1 innocent citizen die because of drug seller flexing their strength (EX: US citizens murdered in Mexico cities) and in addition I would rather have taxpayer money being spent on useful drug education ultimately letting people become educated and letting them make their own decisions.

In conclusion not only is the the current War on Drugs a insult to our freedoms, it has done more harm to society than it has stopped and we should end it immediately.

(1) http://www.druglibrary.org...
(2) http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
(3) http://undhimmi.com...
(4) Dennis, Richard J. "The economics of legalizing drugs." The Atlantic Nov. 1990: 126+. Academic OneFile. Web. 25 May 2011.
(5) http://www.cbsnews.com...
MLI1997

Con

We should not legalize drugs.

Argument 1: It's your choice whether or not you want to take the drugs as long as you don't hurt anyone else. Once someone puts drugs in their body, no one can stop then because it's their right and they're out of the way with the police. In theory, I think I understand this. There is currently too much government putting up boundaries and making many inappropriate laws and regulations. But the argument about a person's rights has two major flaws.

First, we can't just do anything we want with our body. Can I pee on the street? Can I walk down the street in my underwear (if you said "yes" to that last question, try going inside a nursing home and then get back to me)? If drugs ever became legal, get ready to see me walking around topless-after all, men can do it. Which is more harmful, me going down the block not wearing a shirt, or me stuffing some crack up me nose? I'll be so mad if people are allowed to get high on drugs but I have to wear a shirt on a super hot day in the summer!

I use that example because walking around topless not because I'm crazy, but because I have a point. My point is that an act that totally natural is not allowed, I mean the Homo Sapiens did it. This shows that we can't do whatever we want with our body.

Not only can people not do "whatever they want" with their bodies, drugs don't JUST hurt the person who chooses them.

For instance, flashbacks happen to people from LSD. So lets say that a person take's LSD inside their own home. Nothing bad can happen because after all, it's their own private home-right? Studies have shone LSD can cause flashbacks to happen years after taking the drug. So what happens if a person that took LSD a long time ago was driving a school bus and had a flashback which results in an accident? Will people be so quick to say that the bus driver's "choice" to take LSD didn't result in anyone else to get hurt?

People and their rights don't live in a bottle. The notion that drugs only hurt the people who uses them is very shallow and vain. One needs to look beyond themselves and realize that many others have suffered along with them. For example, in a 1994 Newsweek report on child abuse, "Drugs now suffuse 80 percent of the caseload; sexual and physical assaults that once taxed the imagination are now common." It's also estimatied that almost 100,000 babies a year are born addicted to cocaine. I don't think those babies "chose" to take those drugs.

Don't ever tell me that drugs only hurt the user - tell that to a wacked up crack baby.

Also, if crack and weed is a person's "choice", then isn't it also their choice to take any other drug they want to? Can't they also take prescription drugs? For instance, Gemtuzumab Ozogamicin was removed from the market because of an increased rate of heart attacks and cancer. That drug is harmful and dangerous. But wait...isn't coke and weed harmful and dangerous too? Plus it was never even on the market so why should it be on now? It wouldn't make sense to take something dangerous off the market just to put something even more dangerous on it.

It would be unfair to the people. Why in the world should I have to get a prescription from a doctor, when people can take heroin whenever they want?

I can't see why we would have to force people to go to the doctor's and get a prescription when people can get those "hard drugs" anytime they want.

So we might have to get rid of prescriptions for all drugs, or have safer drugs harder to get than the more dangerous ones.
Irish_Grin

Pro

1) For your argument on the nudity laws, I agree that people should have personal responsibility over what they wear, or don't wear for that matter. From drugs to clothing and everything in between, I believe the government has no authority to control what goes on, off, or in my body. After saying that, I do believe that a company should be able make its own policies such as "No shirt, no shoes, no service."

2) I feel like your points about drug addicted new borns and drugged drivers are challenging but I do believe these problems can be fixed with my system. Lets look at your situation for a second. I am going to assume you don't have any drug babies and you don't drive under the influence, but why don't you? The reason you don't drink and drive or have such irresponsible sex is because you were educated and given rational reasons not to do such things.

Let us look at the drug nicotine, which is commonly associated with cigarettes a other tobaccos. Between 1965 and 2006 the percent of smokers in adults above the age of 18 decreased from 42% to 20%. (1). The reason this decrease began is because during the 50's we started to learn about the health effects of cigarettes and as a society we were educated and given reasons instead of "Just say no."

*Note: In 1964 Luther Leonidas Terry (Surgeon General) made landmark progress in exposing the dangers of cigarettes by linking it to various cancers and other diseases. (2)

From my experience I think the drug education in America is very lame and I came from a highly rated school district. If you don't give good reasons for people not to do drugs then you shouldn't blame them for doing drugs. I believe that if we spend less money on failed law enforcement, we could allocate our resources to drug education and in years to come really lower the numbers on illegal drug use, babies, car crashes, etc.

Another statement I'd like to make is that, when drugs are legal they will fall under some regulations (similar to alcohol). But what I wanted to point out is that from studies and my personal experience, it is easier to buy marijuana than it is alcohol. This is because drug dealers don't card you or anything. The underground market is more laissez-faire than the legal market. (3)

I hope that what I have said above will also cover your arguments on other drugs like prescription drugs.

(1) http://www.cdc.gov...
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org...
(3) http://blog.norml.org...
MLI1997

Con

MLI1997 forfeited this round.
Irish_Grin

Pro

Irish_Grin forfeited this round.
MLI1997

Con

MLI1997 forfeited this round.
Irish_Grin

Pro

Irish_Grin forfeited this round.
MLI1997

Con

MLI1997 forfeited this round.
Irish_Grin

Pro

Irish_Grin forfeited this round.
MLI1997

Con

MLI1997 forfeited this round.
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 5 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
I agree with pro and besides pot does less damage to people then alchohol.
Posted by i8JoMomma 5 years ago
i8JoMomma
drugs should be legal....prohibition didn't work for alcohol and it ain't gonna work on marijuana so stop crying and legalize it
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Irish_GrinMLI1997Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL DEBATE, as both sides dropped out... (checking the voting period debates, from Least To Most votes. By giving this one, it won't be prioritized in the system anymore.)