Coyote18
whanna4d21

Legalizing Euthanasia for the Sick and Elderly

Coyote18

Pro

This issue is not as pressing as it has been in the past, but euthanasia, in general, has largely been debated, and I would like to continue that debate, arguing for the "Pro" side of euthanasia for the sick and elderly.

Euthanasia, by definition, is the intentional taking of life in order to relieve pain and suffering, and for the sake of the argument, I would like to say that I believe euthanasia should be committed by a medical doctor, and only if the person requests to be euthanized. That being said, I really think that euthanasia should be legalized across the US.

The rights given to the people by the United States Constitution include the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Given that death, regardless of cause, is an inevitable part of life, the Constitution also gives the people the right to die. If we are then given the right to die, why can we not choose how it is done?
Secondly, there is no reason why the federal government or a state should interfere with the private matter of someone's death. Euthanasia itself causes no harm to any other person that would possibly be involved (like a family member in the room or something), and as such, should be left alone by any form of government.

If anyone would like to argue the "Con" side of euthanasia, I would appreciate it - and if you really do believe that it shouldn't be legalized in America, what would it take to convince you?
whanna4d21

Con

I absolutely agree with your position. For the hell of it; I'm going to argue against you. In order to do that, I have to pretend I'm an evangelical old white politician from the south (forgive me). You Shall not murder! Exodus 20:13 and suicide is murdering one's self. Do you wanna go straight to hell? We are a Christian nation and believe in Christian values. Not to mention most of my voters would be dead... Hell if we allow people to off themselves what's next legalizing murder? Rape? Anarchy? Madness!!? It is a selfish and foolish act when you have loved ones that care about you to take your own life. You are not the only one affected, everybody you know is affected and it's a dick move. Even if you have no friends or family somebody has to clean up your corpse, still a dick move. You would be spitting in the face of god! We cannot legalize spitting in the face of god! Jack Kevorkian had cases where some of the people didn't even know what the hell was going on! Can you imagine how tragic it would be if grandma's and grandpa's just started disappearing? Not to mention you might destroy the nursing home system which employs thousands of people! John Mccain lived through months of legitimate torture; old people can get stoned on meds and ride out their last years before they pass naturally. Who knows maybe they're horrible miserable painful condition could improve, if only they prayed...
Coyote18

Pro

Coyote18 forfeited this round.
Coyote18

Pro

Coyote18 forfeited this round.
whanna4d21

Con

whanna4d21 forfeited this round.
Posted by StephenPeace 1 year ago
StephenPeace
Why don't we comfort these people, love them, and try to make life better for them instead of killing them? Even in times of severe pain and anguish life can be A beautiful gift.