J118
YLO-M

Legalizing Gay marriage

J118

Con

I would first like to say I do not hate Homosexuality, but neither do I approve of it. I respect their choices, but can never approve of the relationship.

With that out of the way, I would say that gay marriage, although understandable, should not be legalize and can lead to a bad precedent on society. If we allow gay marriage what's to say that incest shouldn't be illegal, or pedophilia, or in extreme settings bestiality and necrophilia. To me gay marriage can be the first step on rewriting the book on marriage and the breakdown of the moral compass.

Rules and conditions:
1. Please, no attack on character
2. 8,000 character max
3. Time to argue is 48 hrs
4. Be mature

I look forward to the debate and reading the reasons for pro gay marriage.
YLO-M

Pro

I look forward to what comes next.
J118

Con

I thank my contender, YLO-M, for partaking in this debate and appreciate his time and input for this discussion.

The first point i would like to point out for now will be the precedents that this may lead for the future.

Gay marriage is the first step in a domino process of allowing other radical ideas of marriage. If we allow gay marriage, people of different taste might ask to allow their marriage as well. Marriage that includes, but not limited to, incest polygamy, bestiality and etc... Some will say that that it wont happen and that I might be just over complicating things and marriage will never get that far.

To them I say that people use to say the same thing about interracial marriage between a black and a white partner. Now i'm not saying that marriage between different skin color is wrong, but that people in the U.S. of the 20th century used to scrutinize and judge interracial couple the same way with gay marriage. Gay marriage is that type of deal as it was in the 20th century except now in the 21st century. We might say to ourselves that gay marriage will get a free pass and that anything more will be prohibited. However, history has a habit of repeating itself in it that we may not argue about gay marriage but might argue to allow marriage between a minor and an adult or a marriage with multiple partners and so on until we cover every sexual orientation that is imaginable being allowed.

I'm talking more then whats happening now, i'm talking about in the future and the precedent it can lead to allowing other sexual orientations into marriage. For now there may not be a mass movement to allow other marriage types and it may not even occur in this decade or century. Nevertheless it will occur the same way interracial marriage and gay marriage came to be and I firmly believe that unless we draw the line and firmly stand behind it, humanity as a whole may live in a world greatly different from ours.
YLO-M

Pro

YLO-M forfeited this round.
J118

Con

J118 forfeited this round.
YLO-M

Pro

YLO-M forfeited this round.
J118

Con

J118 forfeited this round.
YLO-M

Pro

YLO-M forfeited this round.
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
It's something difficult to debate. Most of these debates turn into a war on morals.