Legalizing Marijuana: Save the Economy
Debate Rounds (3)
1) Legalizing marijuana would add a completely new economical source, one that is already quite popular and would start the market in total demand
2) Legalizing marijuana would take away the criminal aspect. While some might try and argue that it would increase crime, the case is not true. Marijuana on the black market leads to a dangerous society, and because it is illegal, theft and other issues that might come up, are dealt with by the consumers verses the law. However, by making it legal, it would put it on the legal system, and would also take away the business from the black market and put it in the hands of a systemized, law regulated business.
3) Legalizing it will not cause tragic deaths, riots, or the destruction of mankind. It has been made legal before, and nothing has happened, except for a stimulated economy. Marijuana has existed for thousands of years, and regardless it it is used for recreational or medical purposes, it has not had any fatal results. Its side effects are nothing more extensive than any other legalized drug used in excess: alcohol, dip, cigarettes, even over the counter drugs such as bynodryl or Nyquil. The difference? Its illegal and overly dramatized criminalization have made marijuana seem to be the inducer of all crimes and the devil's advocate. And to say that keeping it illegal keeps it from users is an ignorant assumption. However, legalizing it would keep people (whom do nothing wrong but enjoy smoking a joint) out of jail wasting our tax dollars and on the street doing productive things. Because also, contrary to other stereotypes, marijuana, unlike HARD drugs, does not prevent you from being a function able, productive member of society.
You have shown several arguments that legalising marijuana will benefit the economy. It will in some way but then again it will also determent it in another.
Your first point is that legalising it will create and new market source and that it will help the economy. However there is major flaw in this. by legalising it yes there is a new economical source but new laws and rules have to be implemented also there are many unknown side effects that this drugs has. Millions will have to be infested into the research and the proper understanding of this drug. This also creates many problem that the black market for marijuana will still exist. And the economy will not benefit form this because all the profit will be taken but the drugs lords. The black market marijuana will be cheaper and therefore people will rather buy it there.
Also you bring up the point that legalising it will not cause tragic deaths, this is untrue the product that is currently causing deaths will continue to do so because it is no different. It will still have the same side effects as it has had before and therefore the same consequences.
Now onto your point that is has similar effects as other legal drugs. These drugs are legal because they have been legal for a long time. They have become part of society. The difference is that governments are now strengthening laws against these drugs and we will see this until they come to the point where they are out of society.
Onto some positive matter:
1. The economy has been doing badly lately I will admit. But bringing in such a product that first have to be tested for millions of dollars and will have a bigger deficit to society than advantage, is not going to work.
2. There is no problem with the stays quo. The figures have shown that there has been a decrease in the deaths of people regarding drugs, why? Because laws have become harsher and people don't want to pay the fines and be jailed. By legalising marijuana there will be and massive increase into the market before it has been properly tested and deaths because of this may sky rocket.
3. There are other ways to fix the economy. We don't dont have to fix the economy by endangering society as a whole. By legalising marijuana, people that previously not done it because of its illegal manner now will try it and it is addicting so there will be an increase in users, abusers and deaths.
In the next round I hope to discuss how there are other ways and better ways to save the economy.
Therefor I know the motion must fall.
Good Luck (not being cocky)
LittleD forfeited this round.
LittleD forfeited this round.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||0||4|
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, points awarded to Con.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.