resultoriented
Platypus666

Legalizing marijuana will result in degrading the quality of marijuana

Platypus666

resultoriented

Pro

I'm going to take the side that states the legalization of marijuana will result in a generally lower grade of marijuana distributed across the United States.

The rules can be negotiated as follows:

Anything Goes
No Rules
Can't illegally use information without citing your reference
Platypus666

Con

Alas! An argument against legalization that isn't completely absurd!

Welp, you said anything goes and you didn't say 1st round was only for acceptance so I'll get right into it.

ARGUMENTS

To start to understand how marijuana itself might be effected by it's legalization, we have compare the methods they are produced, handled and sold under each system. The main factor deciding these methods is who is selling the marijuana. So, who sells when it is illegal and who would be selling it if it weren't?

Unfortunately, due to it being illegal, it's hard to track exactly where all the marijuana is coming from. Usually, on the black-market, you won't even know anything about the pot you're buying.

But some research has estimated that, besides in California where medical marijuana has been legalized, somewhere around 2/3rds of marijuana is expected to be imported from Mexico, fueling the cartels [1]. You can be sure that the people running those cartels are not very nice people. I've always made sure I know where my marijuana is coming from so I know I'm not supporting them.

And even though domestic growers are a lot more trust-worthy in general, there's still plenty of scummy people on that side as well. Why is this? Because, since marijuana illegal and you can do some serious jail time for growing it, the vast majority of people only willing to do so are those are already involved in other criminal activity.

So, due to the secretive nature of the growing and those who it's growing are restricted to, there is a large amount of weariness one could rightly assume about the quality of their marijuana under these conditions.

Smokers have often unwittingly bought product that has been laced with other drugs or even poisons. I've seen it myself plenty of times. Particularly recurrent is the lacing of PCP, which, for most people, is NOT a fun experience.[2]

Now, in contrast, how would things be once they are legalized?

Once marijuana is legalized, it is not longer oligopolized by a few people willing to take on the legal risk. Instead, it will produced by normal business people looking to out-compete others with the best possible product.

And that's not the only reason the quality would improve. Now legal, it would also be open to regulations and safety standards through public over-site.

That's all I have to say for now.

SOURCES
1. http://www.fronterasdesk.org...
2. Go to any drug forum, there are thousands of personal accounts.
resultoriented

Pro

resultoriented forfeited this round.
Platypus666

Con

SSSSSSSSSSSSMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE WWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

resultoriented

Pro

resultoriented forfeited this round.
Platypus666

Con

Alas! Your relentless onslaught of logic have rendered me awaste! Whoa was me; ashamed am I. No match; I was no match at all. Oh, whoa.
Posted by Platypus666 4 years ago
Platypus666
Sooooo....yeah. Better weed....

As I pointed out in a different debate, the high the potency, the less the smoking.
Posted by Blob 4 years ago
Blob
If marijuana were legalised, it would not be long until we had genetically engineered product. Although the potency of marijuana has increased substantially over time due to artificial selection, genetic engineering would increase the potency beyond that which can be achieved through artificial selection.
Vote Placed by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
resultorientedPlatypus666Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Cocaine.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 4 years ago
socialpinko
resultorientedPlatypus666Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I would have thought Pro would at least stick around for a single argument. Since he didn't, Pro never provided either his own case or any sort of refutation of Con's. Clear win to Platypus666.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
resultorientedPlatypus666Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Never doing weed