chelis.gascon
tvellalott

Legend Of Zelda Is better Than Metroid

tvellalott

chelis.gascon

Pro

Legend Of Zelda Has Way More Story To It Than Metroid. Yea You Can Play A First Person Shooter Any Day(Referring to new Metroids) but how Many Times Can You Play As A Sword Wielding Elf Who Saves A Princess Plus You Cant Stab People Or fly On A Loftwing Freely Instead Of Having no control Over A Useless ship. And Thats Why I Think Legend Of Zelda Is Better.
tvellalott

Con

INTRODUCTION
I’m going to act under the assumption my opponent is talking about the two series rather than any two specific games.

I will be arguing that these two series of games are equally good and that Legend of Zelda is not superior to Metroid as a series. Of course, this is largely going to be a matter of opinion since it’s difficult to argue that one game or series of games is objectively better than another when they’re both so critically acclaimed and beloved by fans.

ARGUMENT
COMPARISON OF TITLES BASED ON COMPARABLE HARDWARE
(Note: Unfortunately no Metroid game was ever released for the N64, so I will exclude Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask from this comparison. So as not to seem to be withholding these games to my advantage, I recognise them as masterpieces. HOWEVER, since there is no Metroid game to compare them too, I cannot do so)

SUPER NINTENDO
Legend of Zelda III versus Super Metroid
To me, someone who owned a Mega Drive (Genesis) at the time, I have only played these titles via emulation. However, I have finished both and they both stand out as excellent games, albeit I preferred Metroid having never played a side-scrolling adventure shooter with RPG elements before and having played several other Zelda titles.
METACRITIC SCORES:
Legend of Zelda III: 95%
Super Metroid: 9.8 user score (no critic scores)

GAMECUBE
Metroid Prime versus Wind Waker
I played both these games and given the different genre, it’s impossible to compare them. It should be noted that both were critically acclaimed; Metroid Prime won a number of game of the year awards and is regarded as one of the greatest games ever made.
METACRITIC SCORES:
Wind Waker: 96%
Metroid Prime: 97%

WII
Metroid Prime 3 versus Twilight Princess
I unfortunately never played Metroid Prime 3 sufficiently; it was a great game but bigger fish were available to be fried (it lives with my sisters Wii now, never to be played again most likely), but I certainly played Twilight Princess and enjoyed every moment of it.
METACRITIC SCORES:
Metroid Prime 3: 90%
Twilight Princess: 95%

REBUTTALS
Legend of Zelda has a superior story

This is not really the case. The story of Legend of Zelda is almost always the same with variation. Link is a nobody kid doing menial things. He meets/has some helper character who tells him he’s destined for great things. He goes on an adventure to save the princess. He meets the rock people and the fish people. He does dungeons with a mini-boss to get a new item and then a major boss which needs the new item to be defeated. He works his way to the final boss. He wins. The princess friend zones him.
Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE the Legend of Zelda games, but let’s get realistic here... They’re formulaic because it’s a great formula. Each game has been extremely successful by sticking to that formula, but adding new mechanics and places to make it feel fresh again.
Metroid is much the same; Samus has to defeat x antagonist and save the Universe.

Legend of Zelda has superior characters
This I highly disagree with. I find a female (seeeeeeeeeeeeeec-sey) space bounty hunter with a cannon for a hand to be much more interesting than an elf adventurer.

Legend of Zelda has superior mechanics
This is a matter of opinion. Sure, successive Zelda games have always introduced some interesting mechanic (Wind Waker it was sailing, Twilight Princess it was being the wolf in the shadow world) but those mechanics are, as I suggested in the story part of my rebuttal, part of the appeal of the Zelda games. It’s the same story, basically, being told again and again. Metroid on the other hand established the mechanics in the original games and ported them from a side-scrolling game to a first-person shooter seamlessly. You don’t need to introduce some new mechanic every time you release a Call of Duty game or an Uncharted game. You refine what you already have and tell a new story so it feels the same mechanic wise but different story wise. They’re really polar opposites.

CONCLUSION
Metroid and Zelda. Both excellent series. Too different for one to explicitly say one is better than the other. I conclude they’re equally good.

SOURCES
Seems foolish to post the sources to the Metacritic scores. If anyone doubts me, they're free to verify them.
Posted by Khaos_Mage 4 years ago
Khaos_Mage
ARGHHHHH, I Was About To Take This "Debate".

FYI, I Don't Know What This Is About, But It Is A Good Mental Exercise
Posted by tvellalott 4 years ago
tvellalott
I Hate When People Put Capitals At The Start Of Every Word.
What Is With That?
Posted by TolerantSpirit 4 years ago
TolerantSpirit
Right... Okay... Cool... http://upload.wikimedia.org...
Vote Placed by malcolmxy 4 years ago
malcolmxy
chelis.gascontvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: I still like Zelda because I still like Zelda, but the story element of Samus being a girl was a good counter-argument, and Pro shot himself in the foot (or stabbed himself with a Hero's Sword) by limiting himself to an intro and nothing else. Even with an additional round, I still think Con was likely to dominate, but like other voters, I feel cheated on the back and forth.
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 4 years ago
GaryBacon
chelis.gascontvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ugh! 1 Round debate?? I was looking for a bit more back and forth. Anyway, Con was definitely more convincing (as is pretty much always the case with a 1 Rounder), and Con gets sources for including the Metacritic Scores.
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
chelis.gascontvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: "Yea You Can Play A First Person Shooter Any Day(Referring to new Metroids) but how Many Times" - S&G to Con. Metacritic scores justifies sources to Con. A clear and well-written breakdown of the games and reasonable conclusion justifies arguments to Con. Well-done on a complete victory and good model for debate. :)
Vote Placed by Khaos_Mage 4 years ago
Khaos_Mage
chelis.gascontvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: A well laid out case for their being essentially equal.