think_exist
KariJane

Legislating Morality...

Con Tied Pro

think_exist

Con

I believe it is wrong to legislate morality (e.g., abortion, gay marriage...).

The attempt to force change to every ones' behavior, that doesn't affect you, is a slap in the face to democracy. Neglect others' freedoms so you can have your worldview?
KariJane

Pro

Abortion is not a moral issue necessarily.. it's a civil rights issue. Someone has to speak for the life that cannot speak for itself. Don't kill it.. let it grow and and then born, and lo and behold.. it's a baby! Just like you were. What if your mom aborted you?? You certainly wouldn't be here debating me. So, you see, I'm advocating for you.

Gay Marriage? Who cares. I personally don't believe people should be given special privilege based on who they CHOOSE to have sex with or what they CHOOSE as their "orientation." The Bible clearly states the marriage is the holy union between ONE man AND ONE woman. Period.

Logical interpretation? In my opinion there is none.
think_exist

Con

Well, in my opinion, morality is based on opinion. Who's to say when life begins? It at conception? A certain stage in the development? Is a fertilized egg life? If so, do you consider the morning after pill abortion? Because it isn't a clear cut proven science, it should be left to the individual to choose. Thanks for advocating for me, but I don't think I need it. Should I protest condoms because you would not be here if your father would have used one? Your argument might, in the slightest bit, work if your position was aligned with the catholic church who also condemns birth control.

As far as gay marriage, you definitely can't go outside of any perspective but the bible when condemning it. Why does the government recognize "Common Law Marriage". The bible clearly recognizes that concept as Adultery -- which is even a commandment. Still, the state allows it. "Fornicators will not inherit the kingdom of God", if my memory serves me right. Do we have a double standard here? If we use the bible as the standard, why do we not out law all the other abominations? Like heresy, or blaspheming the holy spirit. Wait, hating homosexuals is all too convenient...isn't it?
KariJane

Pro

KariJane forfeited this round.
think_exist

Con

think_exist forfeited this round.
KariJane

Pro

KariJane forfeited this round.
Posted by jwebb893 9 years ago
jwebb893
The problem is not, i think, a problem in ideas so much as a problem in defining our terms. By morality, if we mean belief based on religion, then we should be wary of candidates who base decisions on beliefs which come from a being who may or may not exist.

However, if by morality we mean "ethics" or something, then in order to even have a government we MUST make decisions based on morality. Perhaps "thou shalt not kill" comes from Exodus, but noone would argue that its ok to kill people, hence why a non-religious person might disagree with abortion.
Posted by CongressmanDrew 9 years ago
CongressmanDrew
Morality has been legislated time and time again throughout our history. To act as if abortion and gay marriage are the only issues where moral values come into question is wrong. What about laws and punishment concerning murder? More specifically in regards to punishment, the death penalty. This is an example of legislating morality. Another example would be indecent exposure laws. The only reason people do not acknowledge the examples I listed as moral issues is because a consensus has been reached that murder and indecent exposure are wrong and should be punished.
Posted by thisearthlyride 9 years ago
thisearthlyride
think_exist: I wasn't questioning your argument (I agree) but just trying to make sure I understood your argument. Thanks for clarifying!
Posted by think_exist 9 years ago
think_exist
People choose to be gay as much as you choose to be straight.
Posted by shouldofbeenacowboy 9 years ago
shouldofbeenacowboy
question whare in the bible dose it say it is bad to mary a gay person 2nd thease people can't "CHOOSE to have sex with or what they CHOOSE as their "orientation."
Posted by think_exist 9 years ago
think_exist
thisearthlyride:

Where did you get no protection for minority groups from my post? A little off topic?

And, I don't have to advocate the separation between church and state, it's already lined out pretty clearly in the constitution.
Posted by robzilla180 9 years ago
robzilla180
wow! the second "legislate morality" debate in as many days! lol
Posted by thisearthlyride 9 years ago
thisearthlyride
think_exist: I'm confused. Are you saying there shouldn't be constitutional protections for minority groups? Are you advocating for separation of religion/law?
Vote Placed by CongressmanDrew 9 years ago
CongressmanDrew
think_existKariJaneTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
think_existKariJaneTied
Vote Placed by jwebb893 9 years ago
jwebb893
think_existKariJaneTied
Vote Placed by vasilicus 9 years ago
vasilicus
think_existKariJaneTied