TruthWillSetYouFree
rross

Les Miserables (2012) is a GREAT addition to the different rendition of Hugo's Classic Novel.

rross

TruthWillSetYouFree

Pro

There are so many version (Movies & Broadway) of this Victor Hugo's novel & when they made another movie version in 2012, do they really need to?
rross

Con

No. I had to sit through that entire movie and it was terrible.
TruthWillSetYouFree

Pro

Here's the adaptation genealogy of Hugo's novel:

1935, directed by Richard Boleslawski, starring Fredric March and Charles Laughton, the first version of the story nominated for Best Picture Academy Award
The 1937 radio adaptation by Orson Welles
The 1980 musical, by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Sch"nberg
The 1998 film, starring Liam Neeson
The 2000 TV miniseries, starring G"rard Depardieu
The 2012 film, starring Hugh Jackman

Except for the TV mini series & the radio adaptation; I've seen all them, more than once.
If you are referring to the story as "terrible", then no amount of version of this famous novel will appease you senses; but if we set aside the story, I believe this movie version completes the adaptation history of this novel. The uniqueness of the filming process where every musical scene was recorded live, but even the twist in the director's interpretation of the the opening act singing "Look Down..." that was presented the same from most of the version (prisoners under high heat with picks & axes, dirty & sweating all over the place) is different from this version. Never realized extreme heat condition can be as worse as the opposite, which is the extreme cold....very artistic I think.

Also, will give credit to the back to back musical scenes, just like watching the Broadway version with less voice quality but with a great visual representation.

I like it, but not Crowe :( Jason Segal could be a better choice.
rross

Con

Wow. Pro really loves Les Miserables. Which makes me even more surprised at the stance he's chosen for this debate. I've only read the novel (English translation) and seen the musical. I didn't even know about the other film and TV miniseries.

So I'm not sure if this is one of those sarcastic debates. If it is, I hope Pro puts a winking emoticon in the next round or something to tip me off. Because how could he like this movie? And praising the opening scene...he has to be joking.

The resolution: the movie is a great addition. To win this debate, Pro needs to prove that the movie adds something that was not there before to our understanding or appreciation of Hugo's novel AND that the addition is "great".

Some of the reasons why the movie is rubbish.

It's a musical. Therefore, the music matters. My opinion is that the singing matters more in a musical like Les Miserables than in an ordinary musical because it's all about the emotion expressed through the songs. Pro has conceded that there is "less voice quality" than in the Broadway version. Ha! The singing was all pretty bad.

The central relationship is Javert vs Valjean. This relationship and the comparison between the two characters is what the whole thing's about. Yes, Russell Crowe was the worst (why? he can act, can't he? why didn't he?), but I thought Jackman was unconvincing too. For example, in that duet where Valjean goes: I am warning you, Javert, I'm the stronger man by far... it's like, there's no way Jackman's the stronger man by far unless he has magical powers. Also, that line's supposed to be torn from him, like his bad former self is coming out under pressure. Which is the other problem I had with Jackman. No inner struggle. For me, Valjean has to fight against who is to become mayor. He has to be rough. But Jackman looked like he just popped on his mayor's outfit and there he was.
And of course, Javert. In the duet when he goes: you know nothing of Javert. I was born inside a jail. I was born with scum like you. I am from the gutter too. This really has to mean something. It's a psychological moment. And the stars song of course. When it's done well it's so beautiful and tragic, and it's relevant to everyone: the seduction of absolutes. Or you can interpret it as scientific thinking vs Christian thinking. To my mind, this IS the musical. This is its central moral theme and it's central relationship. If it doesn't work (and I'm sure even Pro will admit that it doesn't in the film), the whole thing doesn't work.

Helena Bonhan Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen were funny, at least, and the movie was bearable when they were on. However, again, their characters should have meant a lot more. They are supposed to, single-handedly really, show the futility of revolution and how the benefits and the people who benefit differ so greatly from the idealists' intentions. Am I wrong?

No. The movie just reminded me of how good it should have been.

Compare this with Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet [1]. I don't know if Pro has seen this or if he likes it, but for me this is an example of a GREAT addition to a genre. Although I knew the play, when I saw this for the first time I kept seeing different ways of understanding the words, different resonances, and subtle things were highlighted. That is, Branagh shows us how great Shakespeare really is.

But this adaptation of Les Miserables shows us nothing. Extreme heat is as bad as extreme cold? Or the other way round? Pro is joking, I think. Right?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

TruthWillSetYouFree

Pro

TruthWillSetYouFree forfeited this round.
rross

Con

Pro forfeited. All arguments extended.
Posted by TheElderScroll 1 year ago
TheElderScroll
Never did read the novel, so I cannot say whether the adoption is a success or not. But I do think the film, on its own ground, is a great success. Love it.
Posted by TruthWillSetYouFree 1 year ago
TruthWillSetYouFree
Even when the dead starts to sing? :)
(FYI-it's in the end of the 2nd act)
Posted by commo_sense 1 year ago
commo_sense
i hated the play the first time she steals a loaf a bread and.............everyone dies that sums it up pretty much
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 1 year ago
wrichcirw
TruthWillSetYouFreerrossTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 1 year ago
DoctorDeku
TruthWillSetYouFreerrossTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 1 year ago
1Devilsadvocate
TruthWillSetYouFreerrossTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Research this debate: Victor Hugo