TazM
9spaceking

Let opponent choose topic. I will be Con.

9spaceking

TazM

Con

In order to attempt to better my debating skills, I would like to try a debate where the opponent chooses the argument. Feel free to suggest anything at least slightly meaningful.
9spaceking

Pro

You want to increase your debating skills, eh? Well, here's a challenge for you: School Uniforms Shouldn't be Required. I will be pro, you will be con. (You will argue that school uniforms should be required)
Warning: I have done this twice, and to no avail, both my opponents had forfeited at least one round and lost to me. This is actually pretty much the only topic I'm prepared on.

My opening statement: School uniforms shouldn't be required because they create a sense of anti-individuality, going against the Freedom of Expression, being forced to choose clothing can help prepare children for the adult world, and requiring school uniforms causes rebellion among the general student population.

So state your case, con!
TazM

Con

Amazing! I was always against school uniforms. And i'm prepared for a few topics.

School uniforms may not provide a sense of individuality, but they do not encourage brand discrimination or bullying because someone does not have the "right type" of clothing. Everyone makes snap judgement on people, and if everyone is wearing the same or similar clothing, then one cannot so easily decide that someone is cool or someone isn't worth it. This causes people to also have more opportunity for friendships or to get to know others better.
9spaceking

Pro

That's it? I was only "accepting" the argument, handing over you to say everything on your side. Well, since you rebutted my summarized argument, I shall overwhelm you with my actual argument.

In the adult world students have to make their own choices and school uniforms exclude that "training excercise" of having to choose what clothes to wear. [1]

School uniforms send out a sense of anti-individuality that goes against our personal liberty and freedom of expression. A nation should not go against its beliefs. It would not really matter if this was not in the constitution in the first place, but seriously--the constitution is the basic belief of America, and breaking it is a big blunder! [2]

Although school uniforms can bring a sense of unity among students, the unity is too robot-like! As shown in source [3], a parent openly states "I believe we should...advance independent, creative thinkers -- not standardized, uniformed thinkers." Frudden said. "To do anything less is to do our children and our society a disservice."

As shown from source [1], parents are unsatisfied with the school uniform prices, indicating that school uniforms don't exactly save parents money. They would not complain if the school uniforms actually saved money!

People usually judge other people based on the clothes they wear, I agree, but a person's clothes really have nothing to do what goes on. If someone isn't very smart or physically capable they will still get bullied regardless of the fact that they look the same as everyone else. In other words, bullies can still persist, teasing other students concerning their mental ability instead of physical. Furthermore, not everyone bases people on their clothing. Sure, nobody's like the Beauty from "Beauty and the Beast", but everyone can see some desirable traits underneath the ugly face! (No offense, Mr. Beast)

Onto you, con!

ALL SOURCES IN MLA CITATION
[1]Brosnan, Peter, and Alexis Brindley. "What Not to Wear: A School's Dress Code Limits Clothing Styles and Colors." Current Events, a Weekly Reader Publication 28 Mar. 2011: 7. Opposing Viewpoints in Context.Web. 10 Feb.2014."

[2]Fetzer, Kent J. "School Uniforms Stifle Freedom of Expression." Salt Lake Tribune [Detroit] 18 Apr. 2002: F2. Opposing Viewpoints in Context.Web. 10 Feb.2014."

[3]Dolan, Maura. "CALIFORNIA; Court Rejects School's Shirts; Judges Say Requiring Students to Wear the School's Motto Is a Free-Speech Violation." Los Angeles Times [Los Angeles] 15 Feb. 2014: AA3. Elibrary. Web. 21 Feb. 2014."

TazM

Con

Yeah, my mistake or whatever, I guess.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

School uniforms are not always a financial burden, many schools actually offer lower priced versions of school uniforms for sale at the school or at district office. In fact, many schools will give uniforms to the parents that cannot afford a lot of things. School uniforms are usually more expensive when they have the schools logo or crest on them, which is not required at most schools. As well as there are low cost uniforms available at many stores.
At schools, clothing and accessories can be distracting, revealing and outright bad in taste, but school uniforms allow students to look disciplined, neat, and, well uniform. In quite a few jobs, one is expected to wear a uniform, so uniforms also give them a hint of what is expected of them and how to look. And if students do not work a job requiring uniforms or a certain type of dress, then after school is always the time they get to choose what to wear.

Also, there is more than one way for a student to express themselves. There is dance, poetry, music, art, sports and more. One does not simply have to use clothing to express themselves or their individuality, they can express their interests by joining a club or talking to people that could have the same interests as them! If one girl is dressed as a prep and another is dressed as a skater than they are less likely to find something they have in common because they don't dress alike. School uniforms encourage social interaction because you are not as likely to make snap judgments. Yes, one may get bullied for physical inabilities, but they would only get picked on more if they didn't dress the way the crowd wanted them to. Not all people that can't do something get bullied if some people find them to be a good person.
9spaceking

Pro

You have provided zero sources and have barely rebutted my arguments. I extend all my arguments that weren't rebutted and rebut your arguments below.
"School uniforms are not always a financial burden...." Yes, they sometimes are. That's the catch. I could say that without school uniforms, it is sometimes a financial burden. Thus, buying school uniforms are similar to buying normal clothes. Besides, parents complain about the school uniform prices, as stated in source [1] (citation is above)

"...clothing and accessories can be distracting, revealing and outright bad in taste...." that is exactly why choosing clothing will prepare children for a job that doesn't require uniforms. If students learn what not to wear when they are still students, when they grow up, then they know what to wear. This is also in source [1] (citation is above)

" If one girl is dressed as a prep and another is dressed as a skater than they are less likely to find something they have in common because they don't dress alike..." What? What study shows this? It is highlighted in this source: http://glob.hubpages.com..., that because of our "
more civilized countries, discrimination towards other races - and interracial couples- have decreased very noticeably over the last decade; homosexuality is now very common, and has become socially accepted throughout our society; and women are now properly accepted into society, and are able to do everything a man had only been allowed to do in the past. " Because "our population is becoming larger and much more varied", we don't judge others by their appearances anymore. Sure, long long ago, black men were hated by whites, women had no rights, but now, America has grown into a free country and no longer do people think men better than women or whites better than blacks. There is no reason a prep would not interact with a skater. This is like saying there is no point for a computer programmer to interact with a lawyer. Sure, their jobs seem to have lots of difference, but they can comfort each other in their job difficulties, and help each other if they can. Your prep girl and skater girl, if interacted with each other, would probably like each other well. It is all on our personality, not on what we dress!

"but they would only get picked on more if they didn't dress the way the crowd wanted them to"...What?! What do you mean by "the way the crowd wanted them to"? Oh, you mean violating the dress code. Well, this only teaches children even further what not to wear for the future. If a student's future job did not require uniforms, it would be quite difficult for this student to choose the right clothes to wear.

Onto you, con!
TazM

Con

TazM forfeited this round.
9spaceking

Pro

This is unfortunate. My opponent has forfeited on the last and most important round. It looks like the third time isn't a charm. 9spaceking is still unbeaten in his most versatile topic, 3 times in a row on serious School Uniform debates and one time in a troll uniform debate.
I extend all my arguments and urge everyone to vote pro.
Posted by TazM 3 years ago
TazM
Sorry, I couldn't log on for awhile. Yes, you bested me. I will acknowledge that, but ahh well.
Posted by TazM 3 years ago
TazM
I must depart, I will respond later.
Posted by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
Read, please.
Posted by TazM 3 years ago
TazM
Topic, sir?
Vote Placed by judeifeanyi 3 years ago
judeifeanyi
TazM9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro used the most reliable source made a convincing argument and rebutted almost all the argument of con. But con forfeited his last round showing he conceded
Vote Placed by CJKAllstar 3 years ago
CJKAllstar
TazM9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit from Con, as well as a lack of sources, which meant any factual arguments were useless. Pro had sources and strengthened his arguments.