Let us Clearly Define Conservative and Liberal

First round is for acceptance.
In this debate there is no real winner. Simply put I will state what kind of America today's American conservatives seek and on your turn you will define what kind of America today's liberals seek. Only accept if you are a liberal, because I'm the conservative here.
I will not attack your stance, and you will not attack mine.
There will be no real winner regardless of who gets more votes, but the purpose of this is to clear up precisely what agenda conservatives have, and what agenda liberals have. I would let you go first, but I don't know how to do that.
Or, if you decide to spend your first round representing liberalism, and you simply didn't say anything on your second round, I'd be okay with that too.

Great idea for a discussion; I'm looking forward to it.

I will make clear the Conservative Agenda on multiple issues:

1. Capital Punishment: Conservatives believe in the death penalty, and we believe that contrary to devaluing life, this gives the life of the victim enough importance that anyone who takes away their life should die. However, we believe in humane methods of execution.

2. Gun Control: Contrary to popular belief, we do not look down upon all gun control measures. For instance, heavy machine guns and grenades and flamethrowers should be banned. We believe that background checks should be mandatory to ensure the owner isn't a felon, crazy person, minor, or alcoholic/drug addict. However, handguns, rifles, shotguns, assault rifles, sub-machine guns and some others I haven't mentioned should be allowed among people who pass background checks and get a permit. We dislike further restrictions on guns, because we believe that there have already been enough restrictions on guns, and if somebody doesn't put a stop to further restrictions on guns, one day, perhaps in the far future, there won't be any legal gun ownership by civilians.
We believe that burglars are more wary to attack homes that have guns, and that because there are countless unregistered firearms, confiscation of all registered guns would not help much with the crime rate. The police are not everywhere all the time, and if a criminal gets his hands on a gun while all the civilians do not have guns, he can kill a huge amount of people before the cops arrive at the scene, evidenced by the Norway massacre a few years ago.

3. Anti-Abortion Stance: We believe that abortion is immoral, but not out of any misogyny. We believe that a fetus is a person, and that the termination of a pregnancy is murder. A fetus is, though connected to and dependent on the mother for survival, not simple a part of the mother, but its own entity. We believe that the costs of pregnancy should be paid for by the government through the taxes of the people, so that the mother can give birth and put the child up for adoption. To make the adoption process easier, we believe there should be reforms to make the process less complex.
We believe that the mother's right to her body does not include the right to terminate the life of the fetus. Cases of rape are not so easily agreed upon among conservatives, but in cases of pregnancy caused by consensual sex, the mother took the risk of pregnancy, and therefore has a responsibility to carry the fetus for nine months since there is no other way the fetus can live.
However, we also believe that the father has an equal responsibility to the baby, because when he engaged in sexual activity with the girl/woman who he impregnated, he took the risk of impregnating her, and therefore he has responsibilities as well.

4. GLBT Rights: We believe that gays should have the right to do anything that non-gay people can do, which does not include homosexual marriage. We believe that marriage is between one man and one woman, which is the natural biological process, and that homosexuality is a behavior, not comparable to skin color. We believe that homosexual people do not have to act upon their homosexual impulses, and when they do so they are doing so of their own choice, not involuntarily. As a result, we believe that banning gay marriage is not discrimination towards a group of people but the banning of a type of action and behavior. However, we believe that they should have the right to a civil union, and that it should have equal legal benefits as marriage.

5. Foreign Policy: We believe that the United States has a right to intervene in foreign countries that harbor terrorists that are dangerous to the security of the United States, and/or to intervene in countries that have been ineffectual in eradicating terrorist organizations and/or individuals that pose a threat to the security of the United States.

6. Economic System: We believe that the wealthy, through businesses, provide jobs for the poor, and that if through their "eye for business" they have made their own profits, they have a right to maintain their profits without excessive taxation from the government. We believe that not allowing rich people to keep most of their profits through heavy government taxation discourages people from growing successful, and therefore generating more jobs.

7. Welfare: We believe that welfare in itself can be beneficial, provided the beneficiary is attempting to find a job. However, we also believe that there are many abusers of the welfare system, and that these abusers should be found and removed from welfare. We believe that though it can be beneficiary to people who need it, it can encourage people who are poor not to move on, to not try to better themselves and improve their condition. We also know that welfare costs money, even when given only to those who need it. We believe that it shouldn't be so easy to get it, otherwise a large percentage of the population may stop working and live off it, a dangerous situation.

8. The National Debt: We believe that the nation debt is a growing concern, because every year it expands, and that serious efforts to reduce it have not been made. Considering what the debt is already, to pay off that debt every household would have to give thousands upon thousands of dollars in taxes, and that in future decades the problem will escalate exponentially. We believe that many things currently funded by the federal government are unnecessary, and that there are many instances of the Federal Government wasting money. We believe that Federal spending can be reduced, and that efforts can be taken to eradicate or severely lower the US National Debt and the Deficit.

9. Creationism/Evolution Controversy: The debate between evolution and creationism has been ongoing. Sometimes creationists have won arguments with evolutionists, sometimes it has been the other way around. Creationism has not been legitimately disproven, and it can "hold its own" against evolution in an argument. Also, creationism and intelligent design are not necessarily Christian exclusive, so teaching it in schools would not favor or discriminate against a specific religion. Therefore, we believe that creationism and evolution should both be taught in schools, with parents able to choose whether their children take courses on creationism or evolution.

There are probably many more, but that's all I could think of right now. Next is my opponent's turn, though this isn't really a contest. My opponent's goal is to describe the stances and agenda of a liberal, and please refrain from attacking my stances, as I have refrained from attacking yours. You don't necessarily have to use all the categories I used, and you can use other ones if you wish.
I await my opponent's explanation on the liberal agenda.

I would like to thank my opponent for providing a detailed description of the conservative stance on multiple issues. I will describe the liberal point of view, following the same format my opponent has already laid out. Before I begin I would like to say that it is hard for me to speak on behalf of all liberals in America, seeing as there is a wide range of opinions among us. I will attempt to represent the liberal side as best I can, but some liberals may disagree with me on a few small issues. Because this is more of a description of opinions than an argument, I will not provide statistics or sources for my views.

1. Capital Punishment: Liberals believe the Death Penalty is morally wrong and ineffective in reducing murder rates. We believe it is hypocritical for a society to punish murder with murder, and we also point out that many people who are killed by the state are later found to be innocent. Their death is, in our opinion, unnecessary and morally reprehensible.

2. Gun Control: With the highest gun-related death rate in the world, liberals believe something must be done about gun violence in America. It is the liberal view that outlawing certain types of firearms and ammunition will be effective in reducing gun violence, particularly the school shootings that have been all over the news lately. (I personally am more moderate on this issue; I only believe in strict, universal background checks). We do believe Americans have a constitutional right to bear arms, but we argue that some small steps must be taken to address the problem.

3. Abortion: Liberals have varying degrees of support for abortion, but the overall consensus is that it should be safe, legal, and rare. We believe women have the right to make choices about their own reproductive health. Most liberals agree that abortion is not necessarily a good thing, but it is not up to the government to regulate a woman's body. We also suggest that if abortions were outlawed, there would still be a black market for them that would be much more dangerous. Examples of this can be found in many third world countries.

4. LGBT Rights: We believe everyone in the LGBT community should be allowed the same right to marriage as a traditional couple. We believe sexuality is not a choice, and that discrimination against anyone who is not heterosexual is unjust. We also point out that heterosexuals are given multiple benefits through marriage that LGBT members are not. The Declaration of Independence states that we all have the right to the pursuit of happiness, and we believe this should not be denied to anyone.

5. Foreign Policy: Liberals believe diplomacy should come first before war. Similarly to our stance on the death penalty, we believe torture is an immoral and ineffective measure to stop terrorism. If peace cannot be reached, we believe that war may be necessary. We believe that America spends an unnecessary amount of money on the military, although we don't deny the importance of defending our country.

6. Economic System: Contrary to popular belief, we are not communists. We believe in well-regulated capitalism that allows for a free market, but does not allow corporations to take advantage of its workers or consumers. We also believe that tax cuts for high income Americans only benefit the wealthy. In our opinion, by putting more money in the pocket of the consumer, there is more spending in the economy. This promotes growth and stimulates the economy from the inside, rather than from the top.

7. Welfare: We believe in having a social safety net that no citizens should have to fall below. This, we say, can be achieved through government programs such as welfare, food stamps, and unemployment benefits. We do not believe anyone should take advantage of the system, rather, we believe these programs provide an opportunity for low-income citizens to stay financially stable until they are able to become self-sufficient. We view drug testing for welfare as an unconstitutional, ineffective, and highly expensive way to eliminate fraud. We also state that programs such as food stamps are beneficial to the entire community because that money is put directly back into the economy by its recipients.

8. The National Debt: We view the national debt as a long term problem, but a problem none the less. We argue that reducing the debt can be achieved through small cuts in spending and small increases in taxes. This problem won't be solved in the near future, but we believe combining these two methods can slowly decrease our debt over time.

9. Creationism/Evolution Controversy: We believe that creationism is not solid science and should not be taught in any schools. We argue that an overwhelming majority of scientists support the theory of evolution, and we have not seen sufficient evidence from the other side to support an alternative argument. We see evidence of evolution through fossil records, viruses adapting to their environments, and by studying microorganisms. We do believe that parents should have the right to teach their children what they believe, but we believe it is a school's educational duty to teach the accepted scientific theory of evolution.

I would like to thank Bubbatheclown for creating this discussion and for voicing the conservative opinion with respect and politeness. Hopefully our posts will dispel any myths about liberalism or conservatism. Thank you for reading!
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
In that case, you do not appear to be a typical conservative.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
I'm an atheist who believes corporations should be taxed 0%.
I believe in a non interventionist foreign policy. I'm against any sort of welfare. I'm not concerned about national debt. National debt is a byproduct of our monetary system.
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
I suppose you can vote for con if you want. It's not as if this was supposed to be a debate, though officially it is. Could you please elaborate in what way I didn't represent your viewpoint?
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
The purpose of this debate is simple: people on both sides use straw arguments to describe the stance of the other side.
For instance, Conservatives might believe that Liberals want the government to spy on people. Liberals might believe that the Conservatives are interested in bailing out corporations.
Hopefully this debate will clear things up and remove misconceptions on both sides.
Posted by Nels4Tats 2 years ago
This is actually a really interesting idea and I wonder why people haven't done this sooner! Great Idea Bubba!
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
And no, the purpose of this debate is not to define the words "conservative" and "liberal." It is to clearly define the conservative and liberal agendas, to remove misconceptions about what kind of America either side wants.
Feel free to protest if you think either pro or con has not represented your ideology's agenda accurately.
Vote Placed by LaughingHyena 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Voting to balance out the results, since it wasn't really intended as an official debate and I thought both sides did a good job of explaining their positions.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I felt Con did a better job representing liberal ideology then Pro did of representing conservative ideology. I may be slightly biased because I'm conservative though and a lot of what pro said doesn't apply to me.