Finalfan
Duncan

Lets debate Cannabis

Finalfan

Pro

Pretty simple. Marijuana should be legal. Think you can prove me wrong?
Duncan

Con

Ok, this'll be interesting. I would like to approach this from a different angle than usual, and will first predict the future; The instigator will speak of how there are no negative effects and how it is less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes. Now, I am aware that cannabis does not kill brain cells, but it does produce a similar effect. Only during the constant use of weed does the effect of slow thinking arrive. Along with the argument that cannabis is not addictive, it could be said that it should be legalized. However, this is the inverse. This is in fact, an argument as to why cigarettes and alcohol should be banned, and the reasons why they have not been is that

A; The corporations in charge have influence over the government and would lobby against the ban.

B; The users of these products would also protest against the ban, and they outnumber weed users.

Now, just because other addictives are already present does not mean any drug can enter. You have proposed an argument as to why other drugs should be banned, but they are already far too widespread to be banned completely (source, the prohibition years) and this does not justify legalizing weed.

Now on the topic of addictiveness, it is true that weed is less addictive than alcohol. (not sure how they tested that) However, this is a problem in itself. Since no overdose can occur and it is not addictive, weed users will see no reason to have regulations on weed as there are on alcohol and cigarettes. Their argument will be that since since there is no negative effect, they do not have to limit weed use. It can take weeks to remove cannabis from the system (source www.drugs.ie/) and so if one was even to have some on a Friday or Saturday night, the effects would harm their productivity at work or school. (I have a friend who failed his end of year exams, which could be put down to a mixture of his cannabis use and his lack of study (which is also due to his cannabis use) But any personal stories I give can be ignored by you who will produce someone you know who retains intelligence post weed use. So I will close this speech now.

I await your response,

Duncan.
Finalfan

Pro

The problem with the prohibition of marijuana is that it is a double standard. When you measure the danger of substances available on the market you are basically drawing a line in the sand saying this one is good and this one is bad. The problem is that the people who decide this do it with an agenda that has nothing to do with the "danger" of using marijuana. Why else would so many terrible things cross the line and be considered "safe". What it comes down to is that typically pot smokers are your average people who live normal lives. Other than children smoking it, I really don't see what everyone is so afraid of. Dogma perhaps?

I'm an idealist that can envision a world free of red bull, McDonald, and "happy hour"! It is free of religion, government, racism, sexism, homophobia, class systems, money, apathy, malice, Terrorism, war, cancer... etc! What I am proposing is that if you can give me a solution to the horrific monster under the bed, then I will lobby to stop people from smoking! You see where I am going. The problem with idealism is that it is personal. It will be opposed by many. Heck I think the NFL, and Nascar is the biggest waste of resources on the planet and would love to see Justin Beiber live in a 600 a month apartment. But I'm not trying to stand in the way of the fans. There are so many contradictions involved it has to be something other than its affect on people.

Do you have any information in regards to why so many terrible things become mainstream and something as harmless as marijuana. (Moderation is key to almost everything in life: too much water and you will drown) Your argument about marijuana affecting students in an interesting point. My solution is let the schools handle it. Let the Universities regulate and educate about moderation. The main issue is that most of the people who want marijuana to be legal already smoke it regardless... bringing up the financial aspect. Do I even need to go into this. A gazillion U.S. Dollars have went to the black market fueling larger more dangerous enterprises. Instead of going back into the schools and law enforcement! Instead A Gazillion dollars is being siphoned into making sure people can drink themselves to death while bullying the lives of innocent people!

Alcohol is addictive in ever sense of the word. Smoke weed everyday for 30 years and quit. It will probably suck but in short time you will wonder what the big deal was. Now try drinking everyday for 30 years and quit.. You should probably go to the hospital so you don't die! That is something that will haunt you the rest of your life. I'm going to say something extremely bold. I actually believe this statement. There are a lot of people that need to smoke that do not, Now I will counter that statement with there are a lot of people that shouldn't smoke but do. (The world is crazy like that) I guarantee you if a suicide bomber lit up a joint there is no way he would go through with it. That is not my strongest argument I will admit but you can see how everything is distorted and doesn't really add up?

You are absolutely right many people can smoke and do great things. Some just shut down and become introverted. Which is still better than drunk and obnoxious! I agree that in your perfect world where all drugs and alcohol including cigarettes are illegal, marijuana should follow. But like I said until I see that I have a hard time telling people what to do. Especially If I have no idea what I'm talking about.

In closing, I will need a little more from you to keep this going. So do some research and find out the REAL reason why marijuana is illegal, and convince me that it should be!
Duncan

Con

Again, the problem with your reasoning is that since alcohol causes more harm, weed should be legalized. I have finally thought of a comparison to this;

Well there are already weeds in the garden that I can't dig up, might as well let more grow.

Alcohol, like cigarettes and even guns, cannot be banned in certain countries because they have been rooted there for decades to the point where it would be impossible to uproot. I doubt even the President could place such a ban, or even Congress (if they wanted to) because it is too difficult a subject to stop. But what they would like to do is prevent further drugs from being used. A defense to your claim that it will continue illegally; crime is illegal, but it still happens. Maybe we should make crime legal?

Perhaps if some form of regulation was placed on it, then it might work. But you have already suggested that the workplaces associated should deal with it. Would an employer hire weed using employees? Could he fire them for having it in their system the following Monday? And even if the state regulated it, as you've pointed out, people can always ignore bans and regulations.

Awaiting your response, Duncan.
Finalfan

Pro

O.K. This world is sooo freaking twisted its not even funny.. I'm going to stop this debate.. I want someone who can actually have an independent thought.. I'm sorry man but you are sticking to the same arguments and they are hogwash.. I am actually considering dropping this website because I can not handle how freaking ignorant people are. Especially in this country.... I'm sick of hearing the word "freedom"! I'm tired of retards telling me what to do. I'm worn thin from all of the hypocrisies and contradictions.. I want to thank you because you made me want to just lock everything up inside and seclude myself from people that are this closed minded! Every debate I have started people have come to me with the worst possible arguments.. leading me to believe that no one actually knows why its illegal, its pretty obvious that everyone is a freaking criminal and no one has the right to stop you from doing anything... unless of course it infringes on another.. Don't bother with a response.. I'm done!!!
Duncan

Con

It's ironic that you would call for less limitations on drug use and then break down during a debate like this. Looking at your past debates, I can see we had a lot in common, save for that you cannot control yourself near a keyboard. All of your problems on this site come from picking fights with people who are incapable of admitting defeat. But I would have accepted defeat if you'd bothered to reply. You've also accused me of saying freedom before in the debate. You'll find if you word search it, that you've said it more than me. It pains me to see someone who, like me, uses rationality and logic, but look at your previous debates! You are solely focusing on debates with right wing republicans, which in general means christians (some born agains). I am dissappointed in you, and I only hope that you do venture to this site again and see what a damn fool you've been.

Awaiting your return,

Duncan.
Finalfan

Pro

Finalfan forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

God damn it, Finalfan. I'll be waiting still,

Duncan.
Finalfan

Pro

O.K. so I will give this one last shot, I have had some very interesting discussions on this website but the debates are rubbish.. especially the gay marriage debate (and pretty much anything about religion) but the marijuana debate is by far the most ridiculous debate that exists. I guess when I challenge someone to debate this topic I'm hoping someone has actually done the research to discover why cannabis is illegal. It has nothing to do with the dangers, it is political b.s. and is a prime example of oppression and hypocrisy! Sorry to blow up at you I was coming off the tail end of a debate that made me realize that I was debating against control freaks that wanted to dictate the lives of anyone different than them.. anyways I'm pretty busy this weekend but I will be challenging you sometime soon to a proper debate.. Do you research into the politics and maybe we can get some where! Anyways my apologies again for dumping my baggage on you.. I will come better prepared next time!
Duncan

Con

Finalfan! I knew you'd pull through, and I ask the voters to disreard his dissapearance in their decision. Finalfan, I understand where you're coming from, and I don't have anything personal against users of weed, but I like to give both sides a fair chance. I know the political corruption related to weed has banned it, I know the tests were improper, but I decided to take a different perspective on the debate; how you would enforce and regulate a new advancement, like the 3d printer gun, the idea of googly eyes (google glass) pornograpghy, something that is a coming change, but should be controlled or it may cause even more harm. I hope you bear through annoying debates (more controversial stuff can be annoying) and I hope to debate against you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Duncan.