shwayze
DucoNihilum

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

shwayze

Pro

The irrationality of liberals over the years has made me come to the conclusion that liberalism is a mental disorder and I will largely support my claim from the book "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness" written by the acclaimed psychiatrist Dr. Lyle Rossiter. The point of this is not to prove that liberalism is wrong, but that it is infact completely irrational and indeed a mental disorder.
DucoNihilum

Con

Irrationality does not necessarily mean that something is a mental disorder. While some psychological factors may come into play with modern liberalism (such as, perhaps, cognitive dissonance), but simple irrationality does not necessarily equal actual mental disorders.

You yourself might be convicted of irrational behavior, perhaps I. I notice you have an American Flag on an eagle as your avatar- that could very well mean you are a nationalist which is inherently irrational- but you don't have a mental disorder.

In my opinion, Liberalism might even be a natural progression (or regression) of society.

Too many people support Liberalism for it to be a mental disorder, furthermore mental disorders are generally associated with distress, disability or increased risk of suffering. There is no disorder even close to 'Liberalism' in the DSM IV TR, where exactly would you fit liberalism, Schizoidal? I've found nothing coming close as of yet.
shwayze

Pro

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions, modern liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded," says Dr. Lyle Rossiter, author of the new book, "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness." "Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood and demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave."

Rossiter says the kind of liberalism being displayed by the two major candidates for the Democratic Party presidential nomination can only be understood as a psychological disorder.

"A social scientist who understands human nature will not dismiss the vital roles of free choice, voluntary cooperation and moral integrity – as liberals do," he says. "A political leader who understands human nature will not ignore individual differences in talent, drive, personal appeal and work ethic, and then try to impose economic and social equality on the population – as liberals do. And a legislator who understands human nature will not create an environment of rules which over-regulates and over-taxes the nation's citizens, corrupts their character and reduces them to wards of the state – as liberals do."

Dr. Rossiter says the liberal agenda preys on weakness and feelings of inferiority in the population by:

* creating and reinforcing perceptions of victimization;
* satisfying infantile claims to entitlement, indulgence and compensation;
* augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government.

"The roots of liberalism – and its associated madness – can be clearly identified by understanding how children develop from infancy to adulthood and how distorted development produces the irrational beliefs of the liberal mind," he says. "When the modern liberal mind whines about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains and seeks above all else to run the lives of persons competent to run their own lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious."
DucoNihilum

Con

I'd appreciate it if you used your own words for now on, even if they are based off of his ideas. I would really rather not argue with Dr. Rossiter- I want to argue with you.

I would also appreciate it if you took my other arguments into consideration before simply copy/pasting a ready made argument.

The things you listed are not proof or even evidence of mental disorders- in fact, I hardly consider the professor to seriously beleive that Liberalism a mental disorder, rather, he used words such as those to show his dislike of liberals, not seriously consider them being insane.

These views are held by too many people for them to be a mental disorder- mental disorders are only in a small number of the population, relating to disturbed thought patterns, etc. The vast majority of the nation is in some way liberal. There's probably some very good social science like reason why liberals act the way they do and why they want protection from the government, but that doesn't mean they have a mental disorder.

Please, in your own words, tell me exactly what mental disorder this falls in. Is it schizodal? What sort of disorder is it? What's the diagnostic critica?
shwayze

Pro

do you know the reason that obama and clinton want a bilingual nation? (which by the way would be a TERRIBLE idea.) A bilingual nation would hold the Hispanic nation back, and cause them to become dependent on the government. That is the exact philosophy of big government: dependency. Liberals want people dependent so they can expand their government to take care of our every need, and do a terrible job at it. This is inheritantly immoral and to me could be a mental disorder. How about the perfect example of how liberals support abortion but are against the death penalty? I dont want to get into detail on this issue but the hypocrisy and irrationality still blows my mind. The fact they go almost exactly against our Constitution and the founding of this country baffles me. If America is such a bad place, then go somewhere else. Liberals and the "Blame America First" crowd try to tear down the things that make this country great. Many of these prominent professors/actors/politicians/businessman are only successful because of the chances and many opportunities this amazing country gave them. And yet they still bash the United States. Does this not sound like a mental disorder? As Mark Levin puts it, "Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid."
DucoNihilum

Con

Well, again (you ignored my arguments) the absolute most you have demonstrated is cognitive dissonance, NOT a mental disorder. Just because you disagree with somebody does not mean they're mentally handicapped, and just because they don't think logically doesn't mean they have mental problems. Many people think illogically, including you- as you seem to have a blind hate for anything liberal, enough to claim that they have a mental disorder simply because of differing viewpoints.
shwayze

Pro

Dr. Rossiter

"Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid."

-Mark Levin
DucoNihilum

Con

My opponent completely ignored my arguments to simply copy paste somebody elses' content for all four rounds. He has failed to counter any of my examples, including the important one of the author perhaps not even believing himself that liberalism is a mental disorder, but rather 'madness' 'stupid', or otherwise objectionable. This debate (as per the proposition) is not about whether or not modern Liberalism is stupid, wrong, or even logically flawed- this debate is on whether or not it is a mental disorder. My opponent has yet to show how it is anything but objectionable, and has refused to even address my points- I therefore believe I am the winner.
Posted by Jedothek 1 year ago
Jedothek
more evidence that liberalism is a mental illness:
I think we can assume that some of the liberals who support the Black Lives Matter movement are people who also support further gun control. Such activists must believe
1. The police often abuse their firearms to kill innocent blacks; and
2. It would be good if the state had a monopoly on firearms.
So one must ask: are we supposed to believe that the same entity, the state, that is currently misusing firearms can be trusted not to misuse firearms if it had a monopoly on such weapons?
Posted by shwayze 8 years ago
shwayze
handsoff is completely correct.
Posted by HandsOff 8 years ago
HandsOff
Friar,
You sound like you are in favor of help for the truly needy, and only until they are able to work. You also sound like you are not making acccurate assessments of when one is able to work. So I have no beef with that position. I think it boils down to the fact that our current system cannot or will not distinquish between the truly disabled and those who are able to work. I tend to blame the liberals for that because I've noticed they are quicker to give welfare recipients the benefit of the doubt. They usually claim that the truly disabled are the majority of the welfare recipients. In my area, I know the opposite is true. I think that sums up this thread.
Posted by friar_zero 8 years ago
friar_zero
So you do not believe in our current HUD housing voucher system or welfare checks that continue to go out to people who are able to rejoin the work force? What exactly do you mean by "able"??

No, the able bodied who do not have an inordinate burden of dependents (a large family, several children etc.). Should not be receiving housing assistance. If they are unemployment, unemployment insurance should help them get on their feet. In the end it is a slippery question because those who can work ad choose not to should not be receiving government money. But those who can work and have been temporarily laid off, or injured should be given the chance to rejoin the workforce. You cannot get a job while living on the streets.

What do I mean by able? For the mother I was speaking of in that example I meant until she was safely able to rejoin, or join in the case of a young mother, the workforce. Some employers are squeamish about hiring the very pregnant. If she is young and inexperienced, then the opportunities for her are most likely menial physical labor which is not necessarily healthy for the child. If she's not debilitated by the pregnancy (some women are, and some work right up till their water breaks) and the town she lives in presents the opportunity she could work in an office environment or a non-physical job at a retail environment. A rough estimate, if I had to make a policy decision is pre-natal insurance and a little housing assistance until the baby is born. Hopefully she can find a job and save some money before then, and the pre-natal care will allow her to know if she is physically fit for a full time job during pregnancy.

Obviously I haven't done the research into this particular scenario, so my assertions are just educated hypothetical and not based on hard data. Hands, perhaps we can talk more off line, as our conversation threatens to hijack the thread comments.
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
Shwayze, perhaps we can have a new debate in which I simply copy and paste articles like you did? It would almost be like watching real people debate!
Posted by left_wing_mormon 8 years ago
left_wing_mormon
You got to give shwayze some credit for the copy and paste job, huh? lol
Posted by shwayze 8 years ago
shwayze
"liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid" -Mark Levin
Posted by HandsOff 8 years ago
HandsOff
Let's try that again. My daughter was logged on.

Friar,

Thanks for answering my questions. I hope you don't feel like I'm trying to harass you. I just want to see where you stand and if you think you are representative of most liberals.

"to get her off the street until she is able to rejoin the workforce. That is what I was aiming at."

Posted by Araku 8 years ago
Araku
Friar,

Thanks for answering my questions. I hope you don't feel like I'm trying to herass you. I just want to see where you stand and if you think you are representative of most liberals.

Posted by artC 8 years ago
artC
I think friar said it well.
Vote Placed by DdReUbMaMtEeR 8 years ago
DdReUbMaMtEeR
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by Bitz 8 years ago
Bitz
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by BrokenDoors 8 years ago
BrokenDoors
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by sluggerjal 8 years ago
sluggerjal
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 8 years ago
left_wing_mormon
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by Garibovic7 8 years ago
Garibovic7
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by 08tsuchiyar 8 years ago
08tsuchiyar
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by Hypnodoc 8 years ago
Hypnodoc
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by FunkeeMonk91 8 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
shwayzeDucoNihilumTied