stk1990
Brittney

Libertarianism is a flawed philosophy.

stk1990

Pro

If I'm not mistaken, libertarians want as little government as possible, the lowest taxes possible, and the most individual rights possible. Libertarians trust the free market to get things done. Here's why that's a terrible idea:

We cannot trust the free market to run the show. The free market inevitably leaves some people behind. Social Darwinism applies here: Survival of the Fittest. Competition inevitably means someone will be the loser. Libertarians say it is not right to take money away from those who are more successful, but is it right to leave the poor, the less fortunate, those who have missed opportunities in the cold? Is it right to leave the unluckiest in the cold? The free market will never have an impetus to help the poor, because it is not in the interests of business. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the last time libertarians had control of the government was during the 20s, and that didn't turn out so well. You know, the whole Great Depression and all. Oops.

We need government, as much as Ron Paul hotheads might disagree. We need the FDA. It keeps our food safe to eat. We need the EPA. It keeps our environment nice, clean, and liveable. We need the IRS. It sort of manages our government and keeps it running. We need the FCC. It stops pornography and offensive content from getting on a television that a child could turn on. Yes, reform of these institutions is needed, but we should not get rid of them. Society cannot moderate itself.

I have more arguments, but I will let my eventual opponent try to debunk my arguments before bringing more to the table.
Brittney

Con

First off you are flawed in your argument. You claim that all libertarians want as little government intervention as possible; however that is simply not the case. The fact of the matter remains that libertarians use the government as a tool to help society regulate itself. What you advocate as the successful way to run a society is that of a "Big Brother" mentality.

Well I hate to tell you this, but it is the guidance of the government and not complete regulation that allows for a democratic way of life. Also I think you may have over looked the fact that the United States does not in fact have a free market system but rather a mixed economy. This is a common misconception. Yes we do have government intervention, but some people would argue that because we elect members into government we have control of putting those in office who will best represent our beliefs. However this does not cover the fact that there is government intervention.

So when you argue libertarians allow for a free market system that is false, because they use a mixed economy to help guide America along a path of success.

Furthermore you rant about the fact that libertarians leave the poor to fend for themselves. Well if I remember correctly it is thanks to programs created by liberals such as social security and WELFARE that help support those in need. Let me break it down for you; a conservative attitude favors limits on government activities and promotes a private ownership. Conservative leaders allow the market place to operate freely as possible

Now a liberal position FAVORS more government involvement in business. Liberal governments tend to impose stronger quality and safety regulations than do conservative governments. While taking an active role in helping society stabilize.

Now that we have defined the concept of what the libertarians stand for I await your justification for your hasty statement.
stk1990

Pro

Yeah, I'm definitely talking about libertarianism, the philosophy of Ron Paulites. Liberalism is different, which is what you've described.
Brittney

Con

Brittney forfeited this round.
stk1990

Pro

Well, I guess this debate is over. Just filling up the 100 character requirement. Here we go... almost there....
Brittney

Con

Brittney forfeited this round.
stk1990

Pro

100 characters!!100 characters!!100 characters!!100 characters!!100 characters!!100 characters!!100 characters!!
Brittney

Con

Brittney forfeited this round.
Posted by thelemite 9 years ago
thelemite
Challenge me to this debate, I'll take you on.
Posted by adamh 9 years ago
adamh
I think Brittney has confused Libertarian with Liberal.
Vote Placed by toiletlipz 9 years ago
toiletlipz
stk1990BrittneyTied
Vote Placed by thelemite 9 years ago
thelemite
stk1990BrittneyTied
Vote Placed by Statesman 9 years ago
Statesman
stk1990BrittneyTied
Vote Placed by CharmingAnecdote 9 years ago
CharmingAnecdote
stk1990BrittneyTied
Vote Placed by ScrewSociety62 9 years ago
ScrewSociety62
stk1990BrittneyTied