SebUK
SitaraMusica

Libertarians should believe that Hobby Lobby should pay for it's Employees contraception.

SebUK

SebUK

Con

BOP is on Pro, Although I will make a case for myself too. Since the BOP is on Pro I request that he posts his argument in this round so I will have something to try and refute in Round 2 (I will also post a case for myself in Round 2). The time to argue is 48 hours and the maximum number of Characters is 6,000.
SitaraMusica

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for this debate. I will do my best. I believe that contraception should be covered for a few reasons. 1. People should not be forced to be parents. 2. The health of some women would be threatened by pregnancy and childbirth. I am one of those women. 3. Contraception would allow women to be in the work force longer. This would help the economy. 4. There would be less unwanted children born to be abused. I do understand opposing abortion, but it makes no sense to oppose abortion. Who is less likely to have an abortion than women who are not pregnant? If I am leaving anything out, let me know. Even if we disagree, I still respect you so please do not be offended.
SebUK

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting , As I have previously stated in Round 1 I will make a case for myself too even though the BoP is on Pro. -Argument from Libertarian Foundations - Libertarianism unlike a lot of other modern ideologies such as Liberalism stands for Liberty in all major spheres of life , It stands for both Economic Freedom and Personal Freedom . The English Oxford dictionary defines Libertarianism as the following - 'An extreme laissez-faire political philosophy advocating only minimal state intervention in the lives of citizens. ' http://www.oxforddictionaries.com... Libertarians should not believe in the state forcing employers to fund their employees health care as Libertarianism as an ideology is charactarised by minimal intervention , especially in spheres that can work fine without it. -Argument from Morality- This is not an argument for why Libertarians shouldn't believe in forcing employers to pay for contraception , this is an argument for why everybody shouldn't . My opponent , by advocating for state intervention when Hobby Lobby doesn't want to pay for it's employees health care is saying this is a good course of action meaning equivelent to -good. My opponent has to prove how stealing from people to fund unessential healthcare that is already affordable in the US (Additionally she doesn't have to get contraception for herself , she can buy condoms for the man) is neccessary and morally right. I don't believe it is morally right to force someone to give up their property to fund something that is not neccessary , in fact it is cruel as this money goes to something they claim their religion does not support. Now I will try to address my opponent's arguments. Argument 1) 'People should not be forced to be parents. ' I agree , Force defined by the Oxford English Dictionary is - ' Strength or energy as an attribute of physical action or movement:' -http://www.oxforddictionaries.com... By simply not paying for something I am not forcing you to do anything . Nobody forces you to have sex because they are not paying for your protection, You can just stop having sex, clearly that is the best way to not get pregnant . My opponent has to prove how people are forced most of the time to have sex . On the other hand by making employers pay for employees healthcare you are actually using a threat of violance to get the funds , people have historically gone to jail for not giving money to the government . See example -(http://www.forbes.com...) Argument 2) ' The health of some women would be threatened by pregnancy and childbirth. I am one of those women' A women has the free will to choose to have sex or not, she also has the free will to buy protection or not , therefore it is irrelevant if she faces danger from her choices as the danger is not caused by coercion (See definition at - http://www.oxforddictionaries.com... ) The danger is caused by choice , What my opponent is advocating for is equivelent to -Because some people make the choice to engage in extreme sports , we should force people to pay for their injuries if they suffer from some. Additionally it does not matter because it has nothing to do with the ideology of Libertarianism, I remind my opponent that the debate is over if Libertarians should believe that the state should coerce employers into paying for their workers contraception not if a women should use contraception. Argument 3) ' 3. Contraception would allow women to be in the work force longer. ' Therefore this women should pay for her own contraception, It will benefit both the Employer and the Employee while coercing Employers into it is another unneccessary regulation that reduces the amount of capital the company can invest which helps the economy, even if forcing the Employers to pay for their Workers contraception was benefitical to the economy , again it is irrelevant to why Libertarians should support it and it is the opposite of what Libertarianism stands for (Minimal Intervention) , Libertarians should believe in Minimal Intervention because this is what their ideology advocates for. Argument 4- 'There would be less unwanted children born to be abused. I do understand opposing abortion, but it makes no sense to oppose abortion. Who is less likely to have an abortion than women who are not pregnant?' My opponent has not used statistics to prove that in countries where contraception is free less children are abused . Her argument again is not relevant to Libertarianism. I am not advocating for women to stop using contraception , I am simply advocating for the state not to coerce companies such as Hobby Lobby to pay for this contraception. Where is the evidence that if woman have to pay for contraception out of their own pockets mean that they just won't and that they will have children instead , this is underestimating the intelligence of women and can be compared to saying they are dumber then men (Yes it's women who have to take care of babies most of the time but men are also often forced to pay child support) . If a women definatly does not want a child she can alternatively give up the child for adoption. I look forward to my opponent's response.
SitaraMusica

Pro

Thank you for your response. I agree that employers should not have to pay for abortifacient things, but what I do not understand is why people oppose contraception. All contraception does is prevent conception (the fertilization of the egg). There is no baby to abort if the women does not conceive.
SebUK

Con

Looks like a concession,in regards to your question some Christians may oppose conception because they view it as wasting sperm which is considered sacred by them.
SitaraMusica

Pro

I am sorry if I disappoint. We do have some shared beliefs though. I hope we can debate again.
SebUK

Con

It's okay. I extend my arguments. The debate is over.
SitaraMusica

Pro

Awesome. Hit me up with another debate if you are so inclined.
Posted by SitaraMusica 2 years ago
SitaraMusica
Congrats to my opponent.
Posted by SebUK 2 years ago
SebUK
In regards to you not understanding why some people may oppose it*
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
How about making the ones doing the deed pay for their own birth control.If they want that in a policy then they can negotiate with the insurer to put it in there. These people need to grow up.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
SebUKSitaraMusicaTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro seems to concede.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
SebUKSitaraMusicaTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 2 years ago
Ore_Ele
SebUKSitaraMusicaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Essentially a forfeit
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
SebUKSitaraMusicaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full concession