agaaliche
voxprojectus

Liberty of choice doesn't make happy

agaaliche

Pro

Hi everybody,

It looks like having lots of options in any given situation is just the perfect treat for homo sapiens sapiens. As soon as options shrink you start to feel a rampant unease which might end up in panic as well. Having few options and thus being limited in liberty of choice is usually considered a threatening situation.

But does the removal of a threat posed by too few options naturally result in happiness?

Advertisers and stores all over the world would like us to think so:
A large choice of products is supposed to induce instant happiness. It's not only about the practicality of offering several products in the same location, it's also about the buyers liberty of choice, which he couldn’t be afforded if there were only two toothpaste brands, instead of the usual 20 or so. It naturally makes sense to put 20 brands of toothpaste on display ...

So here are the debate specifics

1) My stance (PRO) is that liberty of choice does not make happy

2) This stance only applies to average income inhabitants of G8 countries

3) "Liberty of choice" means being able to freely choose among several options (the number of options deemed as enough depends on the specifics of the situation and shall not be debated).

4) "Happy" means being in a state of well-being and contentment (merriam webster)

5) My BOP is to prove that liberty of choice usually doesn’t make happy. The CONs BOP is to prove that liberty of choice usually makes happy. No one shall base his/her demonstration on a few exceptions. Key arguments have to be true in most cases.

Happy debating! (btw my first one)

voxprojectus

Con

Hello Instigator, even though I do not have a strong opinion either way in this debate, I am willing to do my best to champion your con view.

I will attempt to prove that liberty of choice does create happiness.

From the getgo, I will state that I only intend my answers to apply to non-essential comoddities. I have no interest in trying to argue in defense of private healthcare or commercialized water rights.

I will be using breakfast cereal as my default example, though I am willing to discuss others.

Also before we get into arguments, it is important to establish "duration". There is no thing on earth that induces permanent happiness, nor, as pro claims, is it really essential for me to establish that choices create "instant happiness", only that in situations where more choices are available, more happiness as a result OF those choices can be created.

Those two clarifications out of the way, I look forward to your opening argument. As we're only a three-round debate, I will use my next round to rebut and my last round to re-asess my position based on PRO's response.

Thanks, and I hope this debate induces happiness!
agaaliche

Pro

agaaliche forfeited this round.
voxprojectus

Con

voxprojectus forfeited this round.
agaaliche

Pro

agaaliche forfeited this round.
voxprojectus

Con

voxprojectus forfeited this round.
Posted by KhalifV 3 years ago
KhalifV
Are we speaking generally or in regards to economics, hence your example? I will gladly argue if one has more choices one will probably be happier.
Posted by agaaliche 3 years ago
agaaliche
... does not make happy or does not bring about a state of hapiness
Posted by Conservative101 3 years ago
Conservative101
You mean happiness?