LiberalProlifer
Sarra

Life begins at conception.

Sarra

LiberalProlifer

Pro

Conception is defined as the fusion of the male and female pronuclei (the formation of the zygote).
Sarra

Con

Hello LiberalProlifer,

[Implicit Definition / Claridication]
Life begins at conception specifically refers to the life of a human being.
LiberalProlifer

Pro

Are you going to dispute my claim? I believe that life begins at conception because of science. That is when the child has her own genetic code. The baby has the same genetic code at conception as she does at birth.
Sarra

Con

I accept your definition of conception.

Saying that life begins at conception is a fact based claim. BOP is a requirement for the Pro side in fact based claims [1].

C1 Zygotes are as much life as cancer is life.

The same fundamental argument that a zygote is life, that they have a different genetic makeup from the host parent and that the genetic makeup stays the same through the zygotes development can also be used to say that cancer is life. Cancer is simply a scary word that means a mutation in the genetic code. This mutation of the genetic code makes the cancer cell different from the host parent. The genetic code of the cancer will stay the same at its formation as it will be further into its development. Following my opponent"s logic, this different genetic code that does not change during its development must mean that the cancer cell is alive and a different life from that of the host parent.

[1] http://www.debate.org...
LiberalProlifer

Pro

We knoe from science that the baby has the same genetic code at conception as she does at birth. Gooogle preimplantation genetic diagnosis.
Sarra

Con

LiberalProlifer refused to respond to my assertion that cancer and zygotes are similar [1].

[1] CaptainAhab in the comments.
LiberalProlifer

Pro

Are you actually reading what I right? A zygote is not like cancer. How fascist to compare a livig child to cancer. The child has the same genetic code at conception as she does at birth. If you don't want a baby, use contraception. I love the way proaborts dehumanize living people.
Sarra

Con

Calling anyone on this site fascist is an even more absurd claim than my own.

Sadly, LiberalProlifer failed to refute my claim again. Most cancers have the same genetic code at their "conception" as they do when they are removed. Most zygotes have the same genetic code at their conception as they do when they become alive as they do when they are removed and become children. Both zygotes and cancers can have mutations after conception.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
Con's argument about cancer could have been easily dispatched by saying,"Ok, so what? I agree they're both life. I accept Sarras concession. This debate is over. Vote Pro."
Posted by Sarra 2 years ago
Sarra
This debate saddens me. I had no initial intention or desire to actually debate whether zygotes or cancer were the same. I believed LiberalProlifer would quickly refute my absurd claim and this debate would go in a totally different direction. The saddest part is the sheer amount of similarities zygotes have with cancer: individual genetic code different from the parent, being able to move from their initial locations, being able to mutate, sometimes never developing beyond the initial structure, sometimes developing incorrectly and being rejected from the body OR being reabsorbed by the body, and sometimes killing the parent; just to name a few. In no way do I believe that zygotes are cancer.
Posted by Sarra 2 years ago
Sarra
@CaptainAhab lol, thank you for your help. You put my thoughts into word :)
Posted by CaptainAhab 2 years ago
CaptainAhab
Just an aside now that Pro has refused to respond to Con's assertion that cancer and zygotes are similar. Cancer cells do not remain the same genetically throughout their life cycle. A zygote is not analogous to cancer because malignant tumors are not malignant off the bat. Malignant tumors develop in stages changing their DNA in the process to shut off certain genes. See for reference colon cancer's gradual mutation of the genes - APC. p53, K-ras, and DCC.[1] APC and DCC are both tumor suppression cells that are gradually turned off to increase production of cancerous cells. Zygotes are different from cancer because they are not mutations, they do not invade other tissues surrounding them by transforming other cells into similar cells, and they are incapable of leaving their current location and reappearing in another location of the body. Furthermore cancer is a mutation of the mother's DNA while a zygote is a unique individual human by way of creating new DNA from the mother and father, not mutating. The comparison of cancer cells to a zygote is scientifically dishonest and a red herring.

Source:
[1]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Posted by planck 2 years ago
planck
The term" life" , as used in this debate, is undefined. Do you mean that a living cell has been created or do you mean that a human being has been created. They're two very different things.
Vote Placed by ZenoCitium 2 years ago
ZenoCitium
LiberalProliferSarraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made several grammatical errors in rounds 3 &4. I consider pro's final round to be slightly insulting to con. There were a few scorn words, so I awarded pro points for conduct. Overall, no good sources though. Arguments went to pro, con did not dispute pros C1. Pro had but did not satisfy BOP.
Vote Placed by HermanGomez95 2 years ago
HermanGomez95
LiberalProliferSarraTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD: Conduct goes to Con because of Pro?s harsh criticism of Con, which includes calling her a fascist. S&G goes to Con. Pro misspelled a plethora of words including write (right*) and know (knoe*) Arguments go to Con. Pro had the BoP and failed to 1.) prove his assertion, and 2.) refute Con?s claims. Neither party provided reliable sources.