rangersfootballclub
pgoulaimpact

Life in jail should mean Life in the U.K

rangersfootballclub

Pro

when somebody commits murder in the UK most of the time they are handed " life sentences " this however I think is not apropriatlay named , as when a criminal is convicted of murder and sentenced to life this is on average 10-20 years in jail which quite often is cut short for " good behaviour " or several other reasons .

the justice system is to soft on murders once somebody is convicted they should remain in jail for the rest of their natural life , its only fair . That person has taken away somebody Else's life on purpose sometimes giving them the most horrible last minutes possible yet receive these jokes of a sentence .

I do not believe in the death sentence for several reasons, mainly being that you could say it lets the murderer off the hook if you will because they do not suffer for their crimes as a dead man doesn't have to spend years and years in a cell.I also believe that it makes the system no better than a murderer taking somebody life and the anther reason being that there is a chance this person is innocent but is proven guilty by mistake and killed .

Life sentences are the most suitable punishment for ending somebody life . it means the person sentenced will have to think about this for everyday of his life for possibly decades and if the person doesn't care that they committed murder then they can think about how bad their life will be spending the rest of it in a cell .

I challenge anybody to prove me wrong that a life sentence for committing murder should mean that you are in jail for life and nothing else .

p.s i would like to say sorry for my poor grammer and spelling
pgoulaimpact

Con

I would like to start of by saying that although people in our community or in our nation who are convicted of crimes do get released earlier this can be a benefit. While people see that they should have to serve there full term in jail, they also need to look at the fact that while in jail we have to pay for them with our taxes. Also on the comment about the death penalty, you say that people shouldn't be put to death because they need to serve there full time in jail, well if they don't get the death penalty then, like you also said, they will just be released early for good behaviour or something of that nature. Therefore the death penalty should be applied in these scenarios.
rangersfootballclub

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for giving everybody something to think of in the nature that we have to pay for these people for life , there is a way around if a person sentenced to life in jail will cost a lot in taxes you could force them to "earn" money by making objects etc and the prison sells them and pays for these criminals

I think you misunderstood me I said I didn't want the death penalty for many reasons , not because they would be released because I think instead of death they should stay behind bars.

in regards to the comments about them not caring anymore and causing havoc because they are behind bars , we should look at Americas methods , think about it we cant say that keeping criminals behind bars for life wouldn't work because America already do it reasonably successfully so does Australia and several other countries . Also I believe rewarding criminals for good behaviour is wrong as it teaches crime does pay and they are more likely to re offend if they think they will get off lightly when caught again if they behave then re offend and it keeps going in a cycle which involves them going in and out of jail and being rewarded in the process .

in conclusion I would say if we followed other countries examples of life imprisonment and improve some of the flaws in it I think we could make it work .Prisoners should not be released for taking life's and if they are imprisoned wrongly of taking life then at least they wont be killed and they can appeal and try to prove their innocence.
pgoulaimpact

Con

Many people agree that life is the most precious gift to obtain. Now while people would see that making people suffer the longest possible term would be the best decision to make, this can actually be a little better for the prisoner. If we take away there life, or there precious jewel, we would take away the greatest thing that they have. Now as my opponent did point out places like Australia do keep there prisoners in jail for life with little pay, but its because the prisoners get what they call Pro Bono Assistance in which the prisoners do not pay the lawyer for help but rather if they are convicted help pay for themselves in jail. So if we could convince our lawyers to just work and not get paid for there job then we maybe could do this. But since it is a long shot to consider this then the most harshest way possible would be to take there on life. Now we are not the first people do put this into action. In fact not even close. Back when the first known civilization to exist was still around they had this little saying. "An eye for an eye, a leg for a leg." Now we see this as they take our stuff we send them to jail. No they saw this as they take your couch you take their couch. So therefore whenever somebody killed somebody the murderer was killed himself. Therefore looking back I do believe that the death penalty should be used to punish murderers. It would benefit us greatly.
rangersfootballclub

Pro

i understand what you mean but lets get thinking here.

you say we shouldnt be allowed to " take away the jewel of life " from the person convicted of murder. well i ask you why not ? this person has took away somebodys elses jewel , sometimes they have pretty much mugged them for it and killed them in the most horrible way possible. What i mean by life in jail is that now by doing that , the prinsoner has no rights , he has nothing yet he is still living , and must live everyday like that forever , a lesson to would be murders and little kids with knifes ? i think so.

and fianlly like i said the deaht penalty is not right . what happens if this person is innocent ? if hes in jail for years he has along time to prove his innocence , but what dead man could prove his innconce ? even if soembody else proved it for him , who cares hes dead ... i dont think this country can jusify killing the innocent.
pgoulaimpact

Con

pgoulaimpact forfeited this round.
Posted by pgoulaimpact 8 years ago
pgoulaimpact
im real sorry for having to forfiet i haven't been around a computer.. SORRY
Posted by rangersfootballclub 8 years ago
rangersfootballclub
you just argued against yourself lol ...
Posted by pgoulaimpact 8 years ago
pgoulaimpact
well if someone is wrongly accused then they don't get killed right off the bat they have plenty of time to make appeals and prove their innocence. Or for authority to find new evidence.
Posted by gregthedestroyer 8 years ago
gregthedestroyer
I like this debate. I have to say I agree with both sides in a way. I think that if somebody is sent to jail for life then that is what it should mean. they should not have parole. But I also agree with pgoulaimpact with the taxes. that is a big issue.
Posted by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
I agree with Brian. A criminal is more likely to behave if there is a 'reward' at the end of the tunnel. Also, what if that person is innocent and wrongly accused of the crime?
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
If I was sentenced to life in jail but had the prospect of being released early for good behaviour, I'd keep my head down and my nose clean. On the other hand, if I knew I'd never be released, I'd go Radio Rental and kill any screws and cons that irritated me in any way, as I would know there would be no possibility of parole and therefore nothing to lose.
Vote Placed by pgoulaimpact 8 years ago
pgoulaimpact
rangersfootballclubpgoulaimpactTied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
rangersfootballclubpgoulaimpactTied
Vote Placed by saamanthagrl 8 years ago
saamanthagrl
rangersfootballclubpgoulaimpactTied