sangdelalune
JBlake

Life in prison is creul and unusual punishment.

sangdelalune

Pro

First, I would like to welcome you to this debate. Now, on to the topic. Life means no probation. They are there for LIFE. Cruel means excessive. Unusual means bizarre. It is cruel snd unusual because if a person committed a crime when they were young it would be foolish for them to be in prison for they're whole life. Even if they regretted it, they could not do anything to repent. Their life would be wasted. Plus, it wastes tax money. Why should good people have to pay to keep the bad people alive? If they were going to get life in prison, then why not just kill them? That way, it would save money and deal with the problem.
JBlake

Con

Due to time constraints (15 minutes) I will be brief.

I would first like to thank my opponents for a very interesting debate topic.
I accept all of your definitions.

To begin, people are put into prison to separate them from a public whose rules they (the convicted) refuse to follow. Therefore we must remove them to a place where they can cause no further problems - we call that place prison. Some people's crimes against the public are so extreme (murder, serial killing, repeated rape offense, &ct.) that we can not trust them to properly re-enter society at any time no matter how many times they may claim to be reformed and repentant. My opponent says their life is wasted, and I counter that it is wasted through a fault of their own, not the government or the prison system's.

There are a number of reasons that many places do not execute their prisoners (I will mention only these, since my opponent questioned why we do not execute all life sentences). Some have been adopted because some find it religiously immoral to take anyone's life, even if it is taken by the state. A secular response to execution is to claim that taking a life is the most extreme thing that can be done, simply because we do not know what happens to a person after death. They further argue that no person should have the ability to make such a decision, given the lack of understanding of the consequences for the person being executed.

My opponent's final claim, that it costs too much money to hold a prisoner for life, is true. However, it does not follow that this should be a reason to execute said prisoner. It has been shown that it costs nearly as much to perform an execution (due to the high number of appeals, &ct.), as it does to house this person through the remainder of his known existence on earth.

For these reasons, life imprisonment is not excessive (due to the excessive nature of the perpetrator's transgression on society), nor is it cruel (given the cruelty of their crime, and compared to the cruelty of taking their life).

Good luck to my opponent on her R2.
sangdelalune

Pro

Seeing as I only have two minutes left, I will forfeit this debate. I thank you for your time, but my class is about to end and I have to go. Your arguments were good ones.
JBlake

Con

Thank you for an interesting topic. I would like to debate this further. If you have the time you could draw up a similar debate with less of a time constraint.
sangdelalune

Pro

Sounds good. i will let you know when I can.
JBlake

Con

JBlake forfeited this round.
Posted by brittwaller 8 years ago
brittwaller
I think PRO was wasting class time or something.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
What was the point of setting the time limit to 15 minutes?
Posted by brittwaller 8 years ago
brittwaller
What a tease!! :p
Posted by brittwaller 8 years ago
brittwaller
So the response time is set for 15 minutes? Interesting. A live debate. Fair arguments by both debaters so far. Will follow closely.
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
sangdelaluneJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
sangdelaluneJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
sangdelaluneJBlakeTied