Pascal_bout
ThinkingPunk

Life is Meaningless...

ThinkingPunk

Pascal_bout

Pro

We are raised to pursue our idea of happiness, money. Once we are raised into the 'system' of school, work, and bills we find Love. Love, the only thing we use to divert us from this 'corrupt' goal of attaining money, but instead we live in the moment as humans, when in love. Not caring for anything else but the other person, no worries in the world. that is happiness. Am i wrong?
Well if i am not, then therefore if happiness is our goal and being with who you love is happiness, then if yu are always with that person one of you must loose the other in some point of you're lives. Having your Partners life taken from the mortal world has to be the most horrible thing that can happen to a human being. therefore if death is the ending of all things. then that must mean we as humans will be forgotten one day.
As all other species we do not know about.

-Here is a side note to cover the point of 'Life'.
Life is not eternal. there will be an end. The earth one day will be forgotten. We will one day be forgotten, just as your ancestors are. Our Money we earned throughout our lives will one day be spent. Our Blood is the only reminder of ourselves.
ThinkingPunk

Con

Life can be a bitch sometimes. A lot of people know that, and it can be really hard. Bu that doesn't mean it is devoid of meaning. Before I actually get into this debate, I would like to share something:

I'm 18, like you. But I've been through a lot. Two years ago, my mother died very suddenly in a car accident. Afterwards, I had a very similar notion to the meaning of life that you have right now. I don't know if you have recently gone through anything, and I don't know if you are or are not feeling like this because of emotions or an actual belief. But I would like to say, if a lack of meaning is emotionally charged, than it really does get better. You really do find more people that you will love and will love you.

But, because there is a good chance that your writing style deceives me, and is not emotionally charged, than I hope to have a very good debate with you.

I have thought long and hard about this issue, and have come to a conclusion that I believe will sate you either way.

I have written it down previously in the form of a word document, and am copy-pasting that, so if some of this feels sloppy or unargumentative, it is because of that.

Personal Universalism Theory
(The name is probably already taken or doesn't fit, but that doesn't matter.)

One could make the argument that, because we are so infinitesimally tiny on the grand scale of the universe, there is no purpose. The end is the same, and we will all be forgotten anyway. But, perhaps, the end is not all there is, and we may be able to find meaning not in the end, but in other life.

Life, after all, is unique. Every person experiences only one, and beings tend to cherish it above all else. Life, even at the relatively small scale of us, is wonderful for each person experiencing it. It doesn't matter how much life matters in the end, but rather it matters how good of a life is lived, as each life is personal and extraordinary, despite its scale.

So, I suggest, that the end doesn't matter, but rather, the journey. Everything you will every experience will be subjectively viewed through your eyes and mind and body. Nothing will be experienced outside of it. In this way, then, your life is everything. Your personal everything. Each person has their own personal subjective everything, that comes from their senses and minds and so forth. So, the true meaning of life is actually to influence everything.

When you change another person's pespective, you change their everything. When you make them feel better, you improve their everything. And so on, so forth. So, the meaning of life lies not in pathetic morality, idiotic religion, and is not unattainable. The meaning of life is to affect as many people's everythings as positively as you can. In the end, your subjective view is everything. And so is everyone elses. Make as many people's everything as good as possible, and you have found meaning. Meaning in the influence you have on the lives of others.

Again, it is all scale. In affecting one person, you are both affecting one tiny speck on a speck in a speck of the universe. But you are also affecting absolutely everything, to that person. Worry not about the vast, unviersal, scale, because if you can improve the life of even one person, you have already positively affected everything -- for that person.

Sorry that it is a little unwieldy. It is from my own personal notes and not for argumentation, but I do think that it adequatly provides a healthy and possible meaning for life that is more than possible.
Pascal_bout

Pro

Pascal_bout forfeited this round.
ThinkingPunk

Con

Well, I do hope that my suggestion is good enough both to win this debate and, hopefully, to have helped my opponent in some way.
Pascal_bout

Pro

Pascal_bout forfeited this round.
ThinkingPunk

Con

I have nothing else to say.
Posted by Sfaulkner 2 years ago
Sfaulkner
Life is only meaningless if you make it meaningless.
Posted by ThinkingPunk 2 years ago
ThinkingPunk
@Ragnar I'm trying to make him feel better with mine. I'm not going to just steal the debate, I do hope that my thoughts help him.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
(please no one snipe this debate, Pascal needs someone to talk to, not someone to make him feel any worse)

Sorry for whatever happened to you, but meaningless is defined as "having no purpose or reason," you just listed several things in life that conflict with that. Such as attaining the happiness of love (or money).

The main misconception is "person" singular, instead of plural. You're 18, I promise there will be more than one love to your life, as long as you keep living. To love again would not betray the first, it would rather let their memory live on in you for a much longer period of time, and I'm sure they deserve to at least be remembered.
Vote Placed by saboosa 2 years ago
saboosa
Pascal_boutThinkingPunkTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeited
Vote Placed by Vexorator 2 years ago
Vexorator
Pascal_boutThinkingPunkTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Pascal_boutThinkingPunkTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff