flor
draxxt

Life is a party.

flor

Pro

I believe that life is a party, and should be looked at as one.
all the time!!!!
who doesn't love to party???
draxxt perhaps???
only joking.
please make your argument so i can make a real rebuttal this time.
draxxt

Con

Thank you, again, flor for challenging me to another debate.

I would first like to say there are two perspectives in which to look at:

1) The two definitions (as provided by Merriam-Webster.com) do not correspond:

A)Life as: "the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body"

B) Party as: "a social gathering; also : the entertainment provided for it" (I'm guessing this is the one my opponent was referring to.)

These two words and their definitions hence are in no way synonymous.

2) Life consists of things that are not entirely parties. One of which might include work, school, debate, or otherwise.

Thank you and I await your rebuttal.
-EG
flor

Pro

First, i would like to say that i am talking about life as a whole. life in this case would be the time period that each human has on this earth, to do what they want.

Now, we can look at two definitions for party.
My personal definition: A special event, often a celebration.

and,

My opponents definition: "a social gathering; also : the entertainment provided for it"

My first argument applies my opponents definition.
LIFE IS A SOCIAL GATHERING. Life consists of humans interacting with one another socially. They are gathered in COUNTLESS ways. School, church, households, marriage, work. It is and has been in human nature to GATHER with others. Almost no humans live in COMPLETE isolation. Therefore Life is a social gathering.

Next, will be a bit tougher with my own definition.
I would like to start off by saying that life has MANY opportunities for joy, and celebration. Humans of this generation fail to see this, or get caught up in stress, grief, or become pre occupied with small materialistic things, so that they can no longer see benefits in life.

An optimist looks for opportunity in every difficulty, but
A pessimist looks for difficulty in every opportunity.

For example, many people of this generation focus ONLY on getting enough money to support themselves. While this is of course vital, they lose the joy in doing so because they become so stressed over it all.

The main point of this argument is as follows:
Life is short. humans need to cherish the life that they have.
They need to look at the benefits that are given to them.
THEY NEED TO CELEBRATE. ONCE THEY DO THIS, THEY ARE HAVING A POSITIVE OUTLOOK ON LIFE. THEY ARE HAVING A PARTY. HAVING A POSITIVE OUTLOOK ON LIFE WILL LEAD OTHERS TO DO THE SAME, AND TO ALSO LOOK AT LIFE AS A PARTY, OR A CELEBRATION.
ONCE THIS HAPPENS, EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY.

If everyone simply looked at benefits in life, and celebrated them (partying) then our world would be more happy.

thank you!
Flor
:)
draxxt

Con

I have to say, I am having fun. You might even say a ball... It's a type of par... Nevermind.

But all awkward jokes aside, I must address my opponent's claims.

1) My opponent either refused or neglected hence to argue my first contention merely to say: "My first argument applies my opponents definition.
LIFE IS A SOCIAL GATHERING. Life consists of humans interacting with one another socially. They are gathered in COUNTLESS ways. School, church, households, marriage, work. It is and has been in human nature to GATHER with others. Almost no humans live in COMPLETE isolation. Therefore Life is a social gathering."

While life may CONSIST of certain social gatherings, it is not entirely. I have solitary moments in my home when I can just think, read a book, or type ebates such as this. Am I gathering socially in the solitude and, therefore, PRIVACY of my own home? Granted, I have a couple of bears from the days of yesteryear when life was hard and I would cuddle up and not have to fear the big bad boogeyman anymore... thirteen was an awkward year... Anyway, I would have been alone, not out and about galavanting in the limelight and painting the town red, if you pardon my cliches. The resolution states life is a party and so therefore, we must assume life is synonymous with a party or at least has to do with parties for the duration thereof.

"Next, will be a bit tougher with my own definition.
I would like to start off by saying that life has MANY opportunities for joy, and celebration. Humans of this generation fail to see this, or get caught up in stress, grief, or become preoccupied with small(,) materialistic things, so that they can no longer see benefits in life."

I'm assuming my opponent is speaking in a certainty rather than hypothetically so I can say, with all certainty, that life should not just be happiness. The grief, exposure to sadness and injustice, the ability to feel pain and to live through life even in the hardships. True enough, some people ignore the good in life and only perceive the bad, this, as my opponent has said, is pessimism. I would say that, and you may certainly agree with me, that life is a cornucopia of events, actions, pursuits, dreams, and, yes, even the occaisional party.

But I have no doubt in my mind that life is not a party. As my opponent has said: "For example, many people of this generation focus ONLY on getting enough money to support themselves. While this is of course vital, they lose the joy in doing so because they become so stressed over it all."

These people, clearly, are not having a party and my opponent has conceded this to me.

"Almost no humans live in COMPLETE isolation. Therefore Life is a social gathering."

ALMOST. That is the key word. My opponent has conceded the fact that not all but some humans live in complete isolation. Therefore, we must deduce that those in complete solitude are not at a social gathering.

"The main point of this argument is as follows:
ONCE THIS HAPPENS, EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY."

If everyone was happy, the world would be a very creepy and nonsensical world. When another dies, is it not the healthy thing to grieve the death rather than laugh and go "Que serra serra!!!" Throwing streamers about the casket instead of flowers.

Allowing other emotions, innate emotions that have been given to us from birth, is the healthy thing. Cry when you are sad. Vent when angry. And, if necessary, party when happy. But please, for the love of the Lord Almighty, do not make one of these your life. Do not constantly grieve a loss, do not base a life around anger, and by all means, do not party all your life.

Do the healthy thing, vote CON.

Thanks,
-EG
flor

Pro

haha I am having fun as well.
ok so the first point that my opponent makes, says that while life CAN be a social gathering, it is not in every case. He says he has times when he is alone and solitary. AS DO WE ALL. right now, i'm not crowded among tons of people in my room.... that would be weird.

Though we have our moments of solidarity, we as humans still must interact with each other in order to survive. No human completely isolates themselves completely. They would die. In life, as my opponent has agreed to, we do interact and meet with others. My opponent however, did not refute my point that we are gathered in sooo many ways. And interact through all of them. This is why we even have a language, and soooo many ways of communication.

So why not communicate happily?

my opponent says that it is "unhealthy".

haha.
one of the most false claims on this site. (well, maybe thats an exaggeration...)

anyway, here is why it is false.

from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0409174102):

People who are happier in their daily lives have healthier levels of key body chemicals than those who muster few positive feelings, a new study suggests. This means happier people may have healthier hearts and cardiovascular systems, possibly cutting their risk of diseases like diabetes.

Previous studies have shown that depression is associated with health problems compared to average emotional states. But few studies have looked at the effects of positive moods on health. Now, researchers at University College London, UK, have linked everyday happiness with healthier levels of important body chemicals, such as the stress hormone cortisol.

"This study showed that whether people are happy or less happy in their everyday lives appears to have important effects on the markers of biological function known to be associated with disease," says clinical psychologist Jane Wardle, one of the research team. "Perhaps laughter is the best medicine," she adds.

and from AfterLifeNews:

A happy heart just might be a healthier one as well, new research suggests.

In a study of nearly 3,000 healthy British adults, lead by Dr. Andrew Steptoe of University College London, found that those who reported upbeat moods had lower levels of cortisol -- a "stress" hormone that, when chronically elevated, may contribute to high blood pressure, abdominal obesity and dampened immune function, among other problems.

In the study, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, women who reported more positive emotions had lower blood levels of two proteins that indicate widespread inflammation in the body. Chronic inflammation is believed to contribute to a range of ills over time, including heart disease and cancer.

Researchers have long noted that happier people tend to be in better health than those who are persistently stressed, hostile or pessimistic.

My opponent says "by all means, don't party all your life..."
He is making partying seem like its going out and drinking and getting high.
WE BOTH HAD DEFINITIONS OF PARTY THAT DO NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO THIS.
Above, I have proved tons of medical benefits to happiness. Of course, its ok to cry sometimes. Everyone does it!!! But as i observed in my first argument, life should be LOOKED AT as a party. If people have a positive outlook on life, they are still fully able to cry when a grandparent dies.

and also, my opponent claims it to be "unhealthy" to be even somewhat joyous when a family member or friend dies. These things happen. They are undeniable and we cannot do anything about them. Personally, when I have my funeral, I want people to be joyous. I'm sure they might be somewhat sad, but I would much rather for them to be happy with the wonderful life that I had, and be happy with how i touched them personally.

He proceeds to say, "do the healthy thing- vote con."
Voting con would mean that you DONT think life should be celebrated, and you think that we should just sit in our own sorrows (clinging to our little teddy bears), and not seeing things opptimistically.
I've proven above from several researched studies how CON will give you/ increase your diabetes, Cancer, high blood pressure, etc.

healthy?

I think not!

If you agree, vote pro.
Even more so, if you want to avoid cancer, be happy, celebrate, and stop crying in a corner with your little teddy bear,

then vote pro.

your turn!!! sorry about the teddy bear jokes draxxt haha
draxxt

Con

Thank you for an exciting debate thusfar and good luck in the polls.

"ok so the first point that my opponent makes, says that while life CAN be a social gathering, it is not in every case. He says he has times when he is alone and solitary. AS DO WE ALL. right now, i'm not crowded among tons of people in my room.... that would be weird."

Yes, it would be. But she's already admitted in her first paragraph that I was right and thus conceded to my first contention. She claims life is not always a party/social gathering and therefore, we see that life is NOT in it's entirety, a social gathering.

"Though we have our moments of solidarity, we as humans still must interact with each other in order to survive."

Not so. You can spend your entire conscious life surviving without interacting with people. All you need to do to survive is eat, sleep, drink, produce waste, have a metabolism, pass through time, and all other functions of living.

"No human completely isolates themselves completely."

Just for the record, you said completely twice. And regardless of what mioght possibly be true, what is is what matters.

"They would die. "
No they wouldn't. Review the functions of living above.

"In life, as my opponent has agreed to, we do interact and meet with others. My opponent however, did not refute my point that we are gathered in sooo many ways. And interact through all of them. This is why we even have a language, and soooo many ways of communication."

This doesn't change the fact that simply because we may gather some of the time, we don't gather all of the time which means life isn't a party. Also, I did refute that point in my R2.

"So why not communicate happily?

my opponent says that it is "unhealthy"."

No, I say to always be happy and socially gather would be unhealthy as you aren't experiencing the wonders of exo-spective life.

"haha.
one of the most false claims on this site. (well, maybe thats an exaggeration...)"

Just for the sake of argument: This may be the most false statement on this site "and it's not slander of the highest degree if it really is any slander. if I really wanted to offend to the highest degree, I'd run around butt naked screaming HAHA IM A NATZI ROTFLOLZ" (A quote from my dbaldwin v draxxt debate with sexycracker.)

"People who are happier in their daily lives have healthier levels of key body chemicals than those who muster few positive feelings, a new study suggests. This means happier people may have healthier hearts and cardiovascular systems, possibly cutting their risk of diseases like diabetes."

But if a person cannot perceivable be happy all there life. As I've said, it's unhealthy to be JUST healthy (which by the way is completely off topic. My opponent's resolution is "Life is a party" not "Everyone should be happy all the time.")

"Previous studies have shown that depression is associated with health problems compared to average emotional states. But few studies have looked at the effects of positive moods on health. Now, researchers at University College London, UK, have linked everyday happiness with healthier levels of important body chemicals, such as the stress hormone cortisol."

Depression can also be cause by repressing sad or angry feelings. Again, off topic.

"Researchers have long noted that happier people tend to be in better health than those who are persistently stressed, hostile or pessimistic."
What does this have to do with parties? Parties are not defined as happiness. In fact, I've been to some rather awkward parties in which a drunken sophomore... Nevermind. The point is, parties and happiness are not synonymous. True, you have defined them as "A special event, often a celebration." That is not a similar definition provided in either Merriam-Webster or Dictionary.com. Therefore, we cannot assume that all parties are happy or lead to happiness.

"and also, my opponent claims it to be "unhealthy" to be even somewhat joyous when a family member or friend dies. These things happen."

I never said somewhat, I said at all times, which is the claim you've made. Please, stop making false assumptions and leading the topic astray.

"He proceeds to say, "do the healthy thing- vote con."
Voting con would mean that you DONT think life should be celebrated, and you think that we should just sit in our own sorrows (clinging to our little teddy bears), and not seeing things opptimistically."

No, voting Con would mean that you believe that life isn't all about parties and isn't always a celebration.

"These things happen."

Yes, these things happen. If we are sad, we should express our feelings instead of bottling them up.

"I've proven above from several researched studies how CON will give you/ increase your diabetes, Cancer, high blood pressure, etc."

No, you've shown studies as to how being happy can help you be healthier. I'm not in negation of happiness, I'm in negation of the above resolution. Stay on topic.

I'm sorry, I just had to repeat the quote as it cracked me up.

"Even more so, if you want to avoid cancer, be happy, celebrate, and stop crying in a corner with your little teddy bear,"

No. If you want to avoid cancer, stay away from radiation and overexposure to the sun. Happiness doesn't cure or prevent cancer. And if you're sad, let it out. Teddy bears can empathize on a personal level in some cases.

"If you agree, vote pro."

No because if you agree, you agree to failed logic, lack of consistency, and an off-topic argument.

Let us recap:

1) We have gone over the lack of synonymity between "life" and "party"

2) There is no one event or occurrance in life that will always remain persistant in one's life.

3) Happy and Party are not synonymous

4) Cancer is not caused by depression.

5) Being happy will not prove this resolution true.

For the above reasons and refutations, there is only one logical approach: Vote Con.

Thanks agin for this debate.
-EG
Posted by brie 9 years ago
brie
hahahahaha
Life....them goal in life is to find the meaning of life itself.
Posted by flor 9 years ago
flor
nice nice......
well yeah new mexico is like THE WORST district ever and its just really bad. the NFL has even threatened to shut it down. because we just suck.
hahaha yeah i dont really live in 'aladin' or whatever i put.
hmmm why would i go to boston? oh for harvard!!! i probably might.
Posted by draxxt 9 years ago
draxxt
HI, DI, duo, story, impromptu, OI, OO. All except Extemp. I cannot handle extemp...

And that is so cool!

I got to the second level of our districs and couldn't qualify. I guess all I can say is the reason I lost is in 2 categories

1) I still need much work!

2) We've got the second best district (Rank and points) in the country.

So... Yeah my first year in forensics has been decent. Are you going to Boston next year?
Posted by flor 9 years ago
flor
no problem. you seemed like an interesting debater so yah.
what IEs do you do?
i'm an LDer at heart!!! yay. this is just my first year though so i'm a novice. but i got first in state woo! but as a novice.
we had an extra spot for natquals PF so my best friend and i were asked to try, so we did.... just as a joke...... but we ended up qualifying.

yeah i hate braggers so i'm sorry.
didnt mean to.

I'm sure you can find a partner!!!
eeew i hate congress. it stresses me out. for some weird reason...

oh and i must say that was quite the hilarious sexycracker quote. mahaha i even thought about that when i was writing by argument.
Posted by draxxt 9 years ago
draxxt
Though I've gone to national level tournaments and actually placed well in some regional ones. What about you, what do you do? Thanks again for challenging me.
Posted by draxxt 9 years ago
draxxt
I'm an IE kid. So far, I haven't done much debate, only Congress. I want to get into PF but nobody wants to be my partner...
Posted by flor 9 years ago
flor
hah!!! its posted now bucko!!!!
mwahaha.
do you do debate in real life sir??
Posted by flor 9 years ago
flor
hahahaha no i took a break from lying in bed for like 42 hours straight.... to watch america's next top model..... twas lame. personally i'd rather debate you! but my mom DID make me some loverly rhubarb strawberry pie. twas awesome possum indeed. anyway.
i'll start writing soon.
meh...
Posted by draxxt 9 years ago
draxxt
Oh... Sorry you're sick, get well soon! Oh, and what could be better than debating with me? *awkward silence*
... Okay a lot of things but...

Have fun and I'll eagerly await your rebuttal.
Posted by flor 9 years ago
flor
hahaahaha.
i sorta left my lap top here online while i was off doing better things.
i think i'll just let the cold pain sink in.....
i have like 2 full days to write my AMAZING rebuttal.
and i'm sick in bed with a cold so....
yah.
haha!!!! sorry. mahaha.
Vote Placed by draxxt 8 years ago
draxxt
flordraxxtTied
Vote Placed by austinrsell 8 years ago
austinrsell
flordraxxtTied
Vote Placed by RequireTruth 8 years ago
RequireTruth
flordraxxtTied
Vote Placed by reaperofmen 9 years ago
reaperofmen
flordraxxtTied
Vote Placed by simmyjaye 9 years ago
simmyjaye
flordraxxtTied
Vote Placed by flor 9 years ago
flor
flordraxxtTied
Vote Placed by ptc 9 years ago
ptc
flordraxxtTied
Vote Placed by WeaponE 9 years ago
WeaponE
flordraxxtTied