Life is fair.

Life is fair.
I said it. I"ve said what no one else wants to say. Life is fair. No one likes it because no one is perfect. You"re already protesting. You"re saying "but my parents even admitted it to me, the people who brought me into this world admitted that it"s an awful place and there is no justice!" Well I"m here to tell you that your parents lied to you. Maybe they didn"t have life figured out yet (and who does?) or maybe they just didn"t want to give you the long explanation of why you couldn"t go to so-and-so"s sleep away party. Maybe they just didn"t want to take responsibility for how they royally screwed you over. In any case, they did you a disservice by allowing you to believe all this time that life isn"t fair.

Next protest: "but bad things happen to good people!" This seems like a good argument because it"s true. Bad things happen to people who you like, people you sympathize with and people who do good things for others. But are those people perfect? Of course not. They make mistakes. They act, or fail to act, without proper knowledge of (or respect for) the consequences. Does a few good deeds or the innocence of infancy ensure a picture perfect life, no. Should a few good deeds or innocence ensure you total perfection in every facet of life? Would that be justice? Nope.

So where does that leave us? It leaves us with science. Isaac Newton"s third law of motion: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. More specifically, when one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to that of the first body. You see this in life all the time. When you impact a life, your life is equally impacted. Governments are no more or no less powerful than who and what they govern. And no pain, no gain.

It leaves us with religion.

Exodus Chapter 20
1 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

You might recognize those seven verses as the first three commandments. God is all of the laws of the universe, revealed and concealed, known and unknown, seen and unforeseen. Narrowing your view or worship of God down to just one pursuit (e.g. wealth or vanity or your own view of "justice") is to serve a false god, a limited god, a god incomplete. You might end up very wealthy or attractive or self righteous at some point but the consequences will plague you all your life. Our knowledge of God is limited and always will be but God does not excuse our ignorance, and in fact will punish your great grandchildren for it. Whew, tough. Life is tough; but it is fair.

Do I have all the answers? I humbly admit that I do not. If you think you do than remember another verse from The Good Book: "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." - Proverbs 16:18

I wish you soft landings.

I'll take it. I can scome up with several instances where life/God/whatever is unfair.Is it fair that people are murdered, raped, tortured, that some people have better lives than others, that little girls in Africa and the Middle East have their private parts cut off, that our freedoms are dying, wars based on lies, hate crimes? I will use an unanmed friend as an example: she is autistic, has OCD, PTSD, bipolar rapid cycling, was abused in every way by her father including being molested for the first time at age 8, always made fun of, everyone she ever loves hurts her deeply, was raped at age 22, is a former victim of antigay ideology (she is bisexual, but bis are hated the same way as gays), has had her heart broken so many times, the panic attacks started when she was 16, she is just damn tired of life, all she wants to bdo is feel safe, loved, and happy, but every single day is torture for her as she suffers the result of a lifetime of agonizing rage. You tell me exactly how fair that is that she has to suffer like this? Where is God when she needs him?

ShelyAldis forfeited this round.

Sitara forfeited this round.

ShelyAldis forfeited this round.

Sitara forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by kbub 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Tsk tsk. What a time to forfeit, Pro. Good response, Con.