BeardBoulevard
RowanM

Life is pointless.

BeardBoulevard

Pro

Life means something to you until you die, and, depending on what you leave behind, maybe to beings in the future. But eventually, you will die, they will die, our planet will die, our species will die. And you were here for nothing. So make of life what you will, because it doesn't matter anyway.
RowanM

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate and I'll be playing the devil's advocate here.

Life: the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

Pointless: having little or no sense, use, or purpose.

For the sake of argument I'll present myself as a catholic christian, who believes life is in service to God. Because pro is making the assertion, I would like to ask him to prove (or at least prove beyond the assertion being a mere opinion) that life is pointless.
BeardBoulevard

Pro

-Since it cannot be proven that there is a God or not, we cannot prove that the purpose of life is to serve Him.
-The only purpose we have is to please ourselves while alive. The behaviors described in the definition of life is mostly based on our instincts. We learn, and practice, and try so hard to give ourselves meaning, but have little effect on the universe as a whole.
-Imagine there was a God. He created all the universe. Why would he care about use specifically when there is so much more universe? Besides, he hasn"t done anything to show that he is paying attention is recent history. So if he is not paying attention, we have little more purpose than to please ourselves, which has no effect in the long run. Everything about us, what we learn, what we like, is wiped away at death.
RowanM

Con

My opponent builds his arguments on the premise that God doesn't exist or that he doesn't care about us. Therefore life has no purpose besides taking care of ourselves.
I would like to remind him that there is no proof of God's existence either way. Since pro has the burden of proof, he therefore can't use the non-existence of God as an argument. As of this this day it is still unclear as to how and why our universe began to exist and -though progress is being made- how and why life began to exist on earth. The big bang and inflation theory explain how energy and condensed matter was able to turn into the universe we know today. However, it is still a mystery as to what caused the big bang. This means that up to this day, it is open for interpretation. I believe that God caused the big bang and started a chain reaction which eventually led to planet Earth being formed by materials like iron, nickel etc. This earth would eventually develop its own atmosphere and allowed life to exist on this planet. Micro-organisms turned into bigger organisms, which turned into fish and eventually mammals. Humans came up top.
At a certain point in time humans developed the ability to think about abstract things like religion and culture, which helped them to dominate the earth and bring us to where we are today. It is still a mystery what direction humankind is heading, so it is foolish to assume our lives are all for nothing. An individual life may seem purposeless to some. But collectively, we managed to set foot on the moon and split the atom. There is clearly no limit to what humans can do as a species, and I believe that in time we may discover our true purpose and origins.
BeardBoulevard

Pro

BeardBoulevard forfeited this round.
RowanM

Con

Pro has forfeited.
Posted by Rightreform 8 months ago
Rightreform
Wow, this is a serious issue, maybe I should suggest the suicide hotline 1-800-273-8255.
There are many ways for improving a quality life by improving ones own environment modifications, organization techniques, scheduling techniques, relaxation techniques, emotional regulation techniques, thinking techniques, techniques to understand other people, and communication techniques.
I know it is easy to be afraid of the future, as it is unknown. Yet we will never know unless we venture forward.
Posted by BeardBoulevard 8 months ago
BeardBoulevard
Nope, got it. : )
Hey, that was for round two, looks like I made it. : P
Posted by RowanM 8 months ago
RowanM
You don't have to rush, I'm sure the voters will understand.
Posted by BeardBoulevard 8 months ago
BeardBoulevard
It's giving me 3 hours this time? Well, I can try.
Posted by RowanM 8 months ago
RowanM
np, have fun
Posted by BeardBoulevard 8 months ago
BeardBoulevard
I think I am going to have to miss this round. I apologize, I will post next round. I am about to graduate, and I am busy.
Posted by vi_spex 8 months ago
vi_spex
point of life is surviving, so you dont have to keep dying at the pace of a flies life time
Posted by vi_spex 8 months ago
vi_spex
suicide gathering, ey no females and males togeather, seperate cliffs come on people