Dragonfyre
wampe

Life itself is a paradox

wampe

Dragonfyre

Pro

I figured I'd follow the curve of the most debates and state that round one is the introduction, ideals, etc. I stand on the basis that the life cycle of a human is a predetermined course of events, and since it is a constant cycle, a paradox. I'm interested in seeing what the turnout of this debate will turn out. I wish you luck contender
wampe

Con

I accept this debate and thank you Pro for creating what I think will be an interesting debate.

It is my position in this debate that life itself is not a paradox.

I look forward to hearing Pro's arguments supporting that life itself is a paradox. I also will be looking for Pro's supporting evidence for "the life cycle of a human is a predetermined course of events" and "since it is a constant cycle, a paradox.".
Dragonfyre

Pro

Dragonfyre forfeited this round.
wampe

Con

As Pro has not produced an argument, I will pass it back over.
Dragonfyre

Pro

I'd like to apologize for being unable to post my argument, I did not have access to a computer with the capabilities to post my argument. Anyways, I was mistaken, being that life is a fallacy, rather than a paradox, so my apologies there as well.

Anyways, back to the argument:
The choices you make are determined by the choices you've made in the past, that is a general fact of life. But what about the choices you've made before you made any other choices? These are the choices that have been determined by your parents, your surroundings, your environment.

But what if we took you out of your environment, into new surroundings, without your parents to help determine the choices for you to make? Is there anything? What about the altruism gene? The altruism gene is the theory that states that if any ancestor of yours did a selfless act that your are more likely to do something selfless as well, even if you never knew them. So, are any choices really yours, rather than choices you were genetically coded with?

It is to my understanding that the majority of the choices you will ever make as a person are based on how you were raised (as I had said before), which even though it is you making said choices, it is your guardians' influence that determine how you make the choice. And this trend goes back generation after generation: Your parents had their choices influenced by your grandparents; your grandparents with their parents, and so on.

Despite your individuality as a person, you will still be a product of choice as your ancestors before you.
wampe

Con

No worries Pro, I’m just glad you’re not forfeiting

PRO

CON
I would go as far as “choices we make are influence by past decisions”, or rather the effects of past decisions. For example, I like ordering the club sandwich at McAlister’s because every time I get it I enjoy it. Sometimes I order something else, but when I am wanting to make a “safe” choice, I go for the club. I would definitely disagree that my decision is only based on my past choices and is much more complicated. Things that I know would affect my decision would include, temperature, time of day, my mood, what I feel like spending, what I had for lunch yesterday, what the person in front of me orders and if I smell something good, I might just change my mind.

As far as the choices we make before we make a choices. I’m not sure it is even possible for one to make a decision for another. If it were, I would chose for my 5 week old daughter to sleep longer and only to cry when hungry. Choosing where to live and similar things are the parent’s choices to make, not the child’s. When my parents chose to move from my home city to another, this was a choice that they made not me. Ie. I was not old enough to make a decisions one way or the other. If I was older I could have chosen to run away, hopefully I would have realized that would be a poor decision in the long run.

PRO

Con
If one is removed from our environment and placed into a new one, I see no reason that our decision making process would change. Below is a general process from making decisions. (1)

1. Gather information
  2. Identify the alternatives
  3. Weigh the evidence
  4. Choose from alternatives
  5. Take action
  6. Review the decision

I don’t think that people are saying that genes make decisions for you, rather there may be a genetic disposition for behavior. Ie. Person x has genetic makeup that predisposes them to the flavor of bananas. This gene is not making any decisions for you, it is just a factor in the decision making process. You can choose to not get that banana split.

1. http://www.umassd.edu...

Pro

Con
I disagree with your understanding of how choices are made. It is my opinion that decision making is much more complicated than ones past choices and the choices of ones parents. To drive home the point, if my parents could choose just one thing for me, they would choose for me to be a practicing Catholic. I when to a Catholic school, grew up in a very Catholic home/environment and I even only had Catholic friends as a child. If parents can make decisions for their children, why am I, in their works, a little confused about my faith?

I’ll agree that our environment and past experiences shape us and play a huge factor in our decision making process. But I contend that decision making is more complicated than simply being a product of our past decisions, parental choices and environment.

Side note
I have not seen an example of a fallacy or paradox in Pro arguments.

Dragonfyre

Pro

Dragonfyre forfeited this round.
wampe

Con

In closing, Pro has not given an example of life being a paradox or fallacy.
Posted by ATHOS 2 years ago
ATHOS
life is a paradox simply because what we are experiencing here isn't life, we're experiencing death. We are all dying. From the moment of conception when the sperm meets the egg (fertilization) thus producing an embryo, the process of death is set into motion. We're both "living" and "dying". Paradoxical.
Posted by Dragonfyre 2 years ago
Dragonfyre
isn't that why we're debating it? introduce your ideas, then I'll explain mine
Posted by wampe 2 years ago
wampe
I don't see how a repetitive cycle is a paradox.
Posted by Dragonfyre 2 years ago
Dragonfyre
I'm going to try and describe my thought process here, so I'd like to apologize if you misunderstand. The cycle I'm referring to would be the humans life cycle, specifically birth, life, then reproduction, thus the cycle
Posted by evanallred123 2 years ago
evanallred123
Dragonfyre, when you say that life is a constant cycle, are you saying that people are reincarnated? I would just like a little more specificity.
Vote Placed by ATHOS 2 years ago
ATHOS
DragonfyrewampeTied
Reasons for voting decision: conduct & arguments goes to con. Pro didn't defend the resolution and ff.