Smooosh
theta_pinch

Life on earth will not end in our lifetime......Biatch!!!!!!!

Smooosh

Pro

Life=all life on earth

End=cease to exist completely. Sterilization of the entire earth!!!

My opponent may choose to make an argument in the first round, or only accept in the first round, and get the final argument!!
theta_pinch

Con

I accept this debate and look forward to proving life on earth will end in our lifetime.
Smooosh

Pro

Many people in our society are convinced that we are on the cusp of a global apocalypse. Whether their assumptions are based on scripture or just plain conspiracy theory, they cannot help but find the "clues" everywhere they look, but are they correct about their feelings, or are they giving into irrational fears. Supposedly there's a rougue planet (niribu/planet x) barreling toward earth and NASA is purposely hiding the evidence of it's existence, but if you look at the history of this theory, you may find it odd that it's seems the impact date keeps getting dragged on as every scheduled cataclysm passes without incident. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is an unfounded fear. Just one of many irrational fears that drives this additude of impending doom. I am curious to see how my opponent will prove that we are all about to wittness the apocalypse. So without further delay, I will hand it over to my opponent!!!!
theta_pinch

Con

Before my argument I must first take the liberty of defining 'lifetime'.
According to Merriam Webster lifetime is defined as: "the duration of the existence of a living being (such as a person or an animal) or a thing (such as a star or a subatomic particle)"
Note in particular the word duration which the Cambridge Dictionary defines as "the length of time that something lasts."

Now what does this have to do with the world ending within our lifetime? Well when we consider the definitions presented it becomes clear that lifetime can be defined as the amount of time that we live, instead of the time we are alive. The average human lifespan is slightly over 80 years. Thus I must prove that the world will end within ~80 years.

However! There is a problem. According to General Relativity and extensive experimentation, time passes differently depending on the reference frame. So before this debate can proceed a reference frame must be specified when referring to the ~80 years that I previously defined as our lifetime. Since the Pro did not specify the reference frame I will take liberty to define the reference frame we are measuring a lifetime in as the reference frame inside the event horizon of a Black Hole.

Thanks to the extreme gravity within a black hole, by the time that 80 year life time is up, on Earth billions of years will have passed resulting in the earth having been swallowed by the sun when it expands into the Red Giant stage. At that point all life on earth will be completely destroyed and not even the planet will be left, all within a lifetime as measured in the reference of the event horizon of a blackhole.

I am very interested in seeing how my opponent will prove life on earth will not end within our lifetime given the way I have defined the reference frame in which we are measuring a lifetime.

https://www.merriam-webster.com...
https://dictionary.cambridge.org...
http://www.physlink.com...
Smooosh

Pro

Ooooooo very nice kritiking, but I must point out that I did specify the reference frame. Within OUR lifetime, not A, or ANY lifetime! https://www.merriam-webster.com...
theta_pinch

Con

Au contraire. I already showed that 'lifetime' is an actual quantity of time, eg 80 years. Given that, specifying OUR lifetime just means the quantity of time we are referring to is specifically the quantity of time we are alive. It does not, however, specify the reference frame. Thus using the reference frame within the event horizon of a black hole is still perfectly valid.