TheRussian
vi_spex

Life

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

TheRussian

Con

I'd like to argue that there is nothing "special", nothing inherently unique about life and living organisms. It's just a highly complex system of interacting matter. My opponent will be arguing that there is something special about life that makes it inherently different from the environment around it. I'll probably go as far as arguing that the concept of "life" is flawed and pointless.

Any questions or definitions will be discussed in comments.

I'm sorry if the question/issue doesn't make sense, feel free to ask in comments.
vi_spex

Pro

the human body is the most advanced physical form i know.. but life is nature, nature is at a much more advanced level then machines

lfe is the only connection to reality
TheRussian

Con

"the human body is the most advanced physical form i know.. but life is nature, nature is at a much more advanced level then machines"
I largely agree with everything you said.

"lfe is the only connection to reality"
Connection between reality and what?

You seem to be lacking a central argument, haven't shown anything that makes life unique from the matter around it.

I see no threat to my central claim yet.
vi_spex

Pro

well life is real

and i see no argument for your claim.. your claim is nothing

TheRussian

Con

My claim: Life is matter, so is the environment, so is everything else we normally regard as "tangible". It is all the same, there is nothing special in living things.

"Life is real". Then I challenge you to define it.
vi_spex

Pro

life=true+emotion=true emotion

there is nothing special in the dark

TheRussian

Con

"life=true+emotion"
I don't know what truth has to do with life, but I don't think you can claim that emotion has anything to do with life as it absurd to claim that organisms like bacteria have what we can call "emotions" unless you have quite a phenomenal study up your sleeve.

You still haven't really contested my claim...
vi_spex

Pro

truth is death, life can not exist without death

your claim has no value, you can not win without an argument or position

TheRussian

Con

I agree that my position is a bit vague and I apologize for that. However, you still haven't shown that life is anything more than the matter that it's made of, and that it's in any real way unique from the "non-living" stuff that surrounds it.
vi_spex

Pro

not a bit vague. if you have no position how could you possibly win?

so far you have made a claim, so a question like, why is life not special? goes to your position

my position is automaticly life is special, so thats a defeater to your claim already

why is matter not special? you dont like food? special foods? sex? peeing a smiley in the snow?

what is so special about nothing?

ok life is special, life is true emotion.. and being dead there is nothing special about life or at all.. so whatever is special, is life

so what is so special about non special if there is all to be special, as life?

these are just pointers.. its like you want me to fight an invisible man and you havnt told me where he i cant find him nor has there been any signs of there being an invisible man to fight..
Posted by Amandap459 1 month ago
Amandap459
I can argue better than Pro. Pro's words doesnt convey a clear message as opposed to instigator. If you want a real argument instigator come challenge me. Though I think life isn't special as well, I love playing devils advocate.
Also, I'm new to debate.org so I'm not sure how setting up a debate works. Just know I'm willing to debate with you properly
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago
vi_spex
and nothing dosnt matter
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago
vi_spex
thats because you dont have a position
Posted by TheRussian 1 month ago
TheRussian
yes it is
Posted by TheRussian 1 month ago
TheRussian
Could you rephrase the question? I'm not sure I understand
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago
vi_spex
life is matter..
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago
vi_spex
whats the something that is special about nothing?
Posted by TheRussian 1 month ago
TheRussian
My position is, as I said, that life is just matter just like everything else around it. It's just a more complex system, nothing inherently unique from a rock or a car.
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago
vi_spex
you dont have a position
Posted by TheRussian 1 month ago
TheRussian
Although I did say my central claim in round 3 rather explicitly didn't I?