Freshiequest
eddietastic

Light, Fluffy Snow is better than Wet, Heavy Snow

Freshiequest

Freshiequest

Pro

When the average person imagines a beautiful snowfall they picture light, fluffy flakes gently falling from the sky and coming to rest on the bare ground much like powdered sugar would cover a cake. They picture themselves going outside with their arms outstretched and mouths wide open, catching the graceful snowflakes on their tongues.

They DO NOT picture a heavy wet snow cascading down from the sky, soaking their clothing and making travel impossible.

Giving the imagery presented above it is easy to see that light, fluffy snow is better than wet, heavy snow. It is more enjoyable, easier to deal with, and more fun to be outside in. It is also much more pleasurable sitting inside in front of a fire watching these light fluffy flakes than sitting inside and watching almost rain like snow soaking anything it comes in contact with.
eddietastic

Con

this resolution light,fluffy snow is better than wet, heavy snow is obviously false for the following three reasons being that this person has obviously never gone skiing before, fluffy snow is a hazard to people, and it is much harder to pack a snowball and do many of the fun things that we do today with light and fluffy snow.

1. skiing
being an avid skiier myself i know the difference between skiing in light snow and skiing in wet snow because when one skis in light snow it is a pain. for example, the fluffy snow is famous for getting in the miscellaneous clothing parts of people while they ski. for example, because of the light snow i usually go home with wet socks and ski boots. furthermore, when people are skiing they usually enjoy stopping when they are out of control. with light and fluffy snow it is really hard to ski because you are unable to stop. using the slightly harder and more heavy wet snow, stopping is much easier.

2. fluffy snow is a hazard
fluffy snow is a hazard because when people are walking in the trails after a snowfall, they might find themselves burried in snow because they are unable to gauge what the depth of the snow is. furthermore, they might not be able to pull themselves out and die from overexposure. wet snow is much better because it usually is able to take the weight of a person for a certain amount of time. another reason why fluffy snow is a hazard is because it turns into ice much more faster than the wet and heavy snow believe it or not. i live in Canada so i am aware of this and the snow melts much faster.

3.playing
playing with snow is every child's dream no matter where they come from. when they build their snowballs and snowmen light fluffy and dry snow is really hard to build sculptures with. for example, when i was young i would love to make snowballs and throw them at people, and i still do, however when there is light and dry snow i am always sad because i am unable to do such a thing because the snow does not pack together very well. furthermore, this snow makes a child frustrated because they have so much snow to use but it doesnt work at all

therefore, this res must and will stand for these three reasons
Freshiequest

Pro

While normally I hate to get over aggressive in a debate Con's response has forced me to, shall we call it, the "dark side"

1. You state that I have "obviously never gone skiing before" and call yourself an avid skier yet, you say that wet, heavy snow is better than light, fluffy snow for skiing. How you can make that conclusion as an avid skier is beyond me. Before I respond to that horrible insult to skiing I'll briefly go over my qualifications.

First of all, I do ski and have been skiing for the past 19 years.

-From age 2-11 I skied approximately 15-20 days per year.
-From the ages of 11 to 15 I raced competitively in the Far West and Tahoe Leagues of California and Nevada. At the age of 15 I won first place overall in my league for the season.
-From the ages of 15 to 18 I competed in Freestyle Skiing primarily in USASA and regional competitions. I placed many times in all events but my best events were halfpipe and skiercross.
-At age 19 I was a race and freestyle skiing coach for local mountain in charge of about 20 kids.
-From 19-current I've been a ski instructor and part time race coach when time permits.

-At my peak I averaged about 70 days a season for 7 seasons
-Now I average about 30 days per season.
-To date I have close to 1000 days on the mountain.

Given the qualifications noted above I would say I am more than a "avid skier" and that your conclusions about the type of snow that skiers prefer are completely FALSE.
Any "avid" skier would know that light, fluffy snow is preferred over wet, heavy snow. Light, fluffy snow is the easiest and most pleasurable snow to ski in. Do you ever wonder why people prefer "powder" to ski in and not what we call "sierra cement" (wet, heavy snow)? Skiers dream of days where 2 feet of light, fluffy snow falls overnight so they can go out the next morning and experience luscious face shots on every turn.

-Light snow is not the reason you go home with wet socks and ski boots, wet heavy snow is as it has more moisture content.
-Light snow is MUCH easier to stop in that wet, heavy snow. In fact, it is much safer to stop in light, fluffy snow than it is to stop in wet, heavy snow. The majority of self-sustained skiing injuries occur when people catch an edge in wet, heavy snow. Furthermore, A good skier should always be in control, in fact one of the seven "mountain safety" rules is as such.

2. Wet, heavy snow is more of a hazard than light, fluffy snow. I will agree that deep, fluffy snow can be deceiving but, you cannot ignore that fact that wet, heavy snow accounts for the majority of traffic accidents on roadways. Furthermore, wet, heavy snow turns to ice MUCH faster than light, fluffy snow because of it's added water content. Light, fluffy snow actually does not turn into ice as long as the snow itself doesn't melt.

3. Have you ever tried to make a snow angel in a foot of wet, heavy snow. The second you sit down you are soaking wet, it's like lying down in a puddle. Light, fluffy snow is a little bit harder to pack into a snowball but it is possible none the less. Given these facts, light, fluffy snow still reigns over wet, heavy snow in playability.
eddietastic

Con

my opponent has stated in his first rebuttal of my point that it is easier for him to ski in light and fluffy snow, however it is not true. he has obviously been an accomplished and gifted skier so he knows what is easier for him to ski in however being one of the less talented skiers me and my friends have not enjoyed the light fluffy and dry snow. first of all it is indeed harder to stop in because when one is going down a slope at their breakneck speed it is usually harder to stop in
the light snow because of the lack of weight. it is easier to stop in the wet snow because unlike the dry light snow it is heavier and consequently easier to stop in. furthermore, the light fluffy snow is unliked by many skiers because it does get everywhere instead of the wet and heavier snow which stays on the ground. furthermore, id like to ask my opponent a question regarding skiing and it is if they enjoy skiing in artificial man-made snow ? furthermore, i would also like to ask him if it is harder to stop in light snow or wet more heavy snow.
my second point is that light snow does cause more hazards because as my opponent agrees with me it is difficult gauge how deep it actually is furthermore, light snow can also melt much more quickly then wet snow and consequently turn into ice much more quickly. for example, most of the snow which melting is the light fluffy snow because of the added air between the snow molecules which adds warmth to the surrounding snow. this is true because of common sense and science because the more air between the molecules the more they move resulting in heat and melting of the snow. furthermore, the wet heavier snow is much easier to spread salt in them resulting in a less of a chance for them to turn into ice. the wet snow absorbs the salt much easier than the dry snow. another reason why dry and light snow is much more dangerous is the fact that once there is high wind it picks up much easier than heavier snow and as a result it is able to blind a person and make them unable to breath with the high amount of snow.
my last point is that the wet snow is much easier to play with because it packs together much more easier, even my opponent said that the wet snow was easier to pack into snowballs than the dry snow. and most children being the people they are are impatient and do not enjoy packing together light fluffy snowballs and in return throw them just to see them disintegrate in midair. furthermore, the wet snow does not impact you that much if you are like any other semi intelligent person and decides to wear a coat and snow pants of the winter and when you are playing with snow.

it is for these reasons that this res light fluffy snow is better than wet, heavy snow must and will fall
Freshiequest

Pro

"my opponent has stated in his first rebuttal of my point that it is easier for him to ski in light and fluffy snow, however it is not true."
-If I said it was easier for me to ski in light, fluffy snow doesn't that generally make it true unless you are stalking me, watching my every turn?

"furthermore, i would also like to ask him if it is harder to stop in light snow or wet more heavy snow."
-Light snow is easier to stop in. Plain and simple. If it wasn't easier to stop in I would have taken up the con side to this debate.

"light snow can also melt much more quickly then wet snow and consequently turn into ice much more quickly"
-Wet snow already has a higher water content than light, fluffy (aka dry) snow. This means that it is already closer to it's melting point and will melt faster than light, fluffy snow. It may appear that light fluffy snow melts faster because it shrinks more but, this is due to the fact that its water content is much less. As the sun hits light, fluffy snow it turns into wet, heavy snow; thus proving my point.

"light snow is much more dangerous...blind a person and make them unable to breath with the high amount of snow"
-I'll agree that light snow can create whiteout conditions more easily in heavy winds, but I have never seen snow make a person unable to breath because it was so thick. Snow can't prevent you from breathing unless you are buried under it. Furthermore, more dangerous whiteout conditions occur when wet, heavy snow is falling on roadways than when light, fluffy snow falls on roadways.

-Moist snow is great for making snowballs, but wet, heavy snow makes your gloves wet and hurts when you are hit by it. It's almost like taking a bunch of water, slightly freezing it, and putting it into a water balloon. It just hurts.

Given the evidence above it is easy to see that light, fluffy snow is better than wet, heavy snow.

Thank you for accepting this debate. I enjoyed it immensely. I look forward to reading more of your Debate.org debates.
eddietastic

Con

"If I said it was easier for me to ski in light, fluffy snow doesn't that generally make it true unless you are stalking me, watching my every turn?"
i meant to say that because my opponent is obviously a great skier because of his many different skiing accomplishments, he does not know how much more less experienced skiers love wet and heavier snow. for example as i said in my first arguments wet snow is much easier to stop in compared to light fluffy snow because of the lack of weight it can stop. i dont know about my opponent but im not very good at stopping just yet and i like it if i can stop when i want to and not a few moments after because then it might be too late. the reason that this is true is common sense, if something if heavier it is easier to stop if you put your weight on it . its just like would you rather lean on a barrier made of straw or one made of wood, dont make the stupid decision.

light snow does in fact melt faster than wet snow because it makes the snow warmer that much faster. believe me i live in canada and i get snow a lot. furthermore, when salt is sprinkled along the roads on snow the wet snow takes in the salt much faster than the light and dry snow so consequently the wet snow melts much slower. it melts much faster because there are spaces between the snow particles that act as small insulation.

i also meant that because of high winds picking up the light dry snow much easier than the wet snow many people have been blinded because of the snow attacking their vision. another example of how wet snow is safer is the fact that when driving the dry snow takes much longer to come down then the wet snow and as a result may cause the windshield to be covered in white resulting in the lack of sight when driving. furthemore, when one is walking in a snow storm they can be covered in snow even though it is rare except for in antartica where there is a very small amount of moisture in the snow so it is able to fly around and blind and sufficate people much easier.

lastly when kids are having they dont really care about being wet or whatnot or else a lot of them would not do many of the things which they enjoy doing. for example playing in the rain or playing in mud or any other childhood antics which bring a smile to everyone's face. furthermore, what is the point of throwing a snow ball if the person cant feel it its like saying that we should have guns for protection that dont hurt people ????? it just doesnt make sense

oh and lastly my opponent and i have almost forgotten to define this debate so i shall do it neutrally and fairly, we define the light fluffy snow, as dry snow that is light and fluffy, we define wet snow as snow with more moisture.

thanks for starting this debate and im not sure if i broke any rules because this is my first debate if there are any i broke can you please comment on my debate.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
How could Pro have possibly overlooked the Argument from Shoveling? If the Argument from Shoveling was not first proposed by St. Augustine, it should have been. There are far more shovelers than skiers, so if voted upon by the total population that interacts with snow, fluffy would win easily. Note that there are both heart attacks and extra street cleaning costs associated with wet snow.
Posted by PoeJoe 6 years ago
PoeJoe
PRO definitely gets my "spelling and grammar" vote.
Posted by Freshiequest 6 years ago
Freshiequest
Hey Eddietastic,

It was a pleasure debating you. As far as I'm concerned, you didn't break any rules. Debate.org is a fun place to debate, not every debate has to be super serious.
Posted by Wayne 6 years ago
Wayne
looks like this is eddietastic's first debate!

good luck to all, this should be an interesting debate =]
Vote Placed by water321 6 years ago
water321
FreshiequesteddietasticTied
Vote Placed by Wayne 6 years ago
Wayne
FreshiequesteddietasticTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
FreshiequesteddietasticTied
Vote Placed by knick-knack 6 years ago
knick-knack
FreshiequesteddietasticTied
Vote Placed by jaipelai 6 years ago
jaipelai
FreshiequesteddietasticTied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 6 years ago
PoeJoe
FreshiequesteddietasticTied
Vote Placed by eddietastic 6 years ago
eddietastic
FreshiequesteddietasticTied