OpinionatedMan
MasturDbtor

Light Yagami is more intelligent than L

OpinionatedMan

OpinionatedMan

Pro

I am proposing that Light Yagami from the anime/manga series Death Note is more intelligent than the character L.

Just to let voters know this clearly; do not vote based on who you find more intelligent. Vote based on this debate alone. If you think Light is more intelligent but I debate bad do not vote me and vice versa.

I define 'Intelligent' as intelligence and I define intelligence as the ability to deal with cognitive complexity.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Begin justifying why Light or L is more intelligent, Rebuttals should be kept to a minimum.
Round 3: Rebuttals and further debate
Round 4: Rebuttals and conclusive debate.
MasturDbtor

Con

Based on my opponent's definition L is more intelligent.

If Light were better able to use cognitive complexity he would've been more cunning in the use of his newly found power, and would've considered more complex systems of interaction within the society itself rather than just writing in the names of which ever villains he saw on tv.

L was able to deal with cognitive complexity well enough to pinpoint that Light was in Japan. This shows better intelligence for L.

The only reason Light beat L(before being defeated by Near) is that Light had access to supernatural forces that L did not. His ability to manipulate the shinigami into writing L's name into the notebook was also important, but the ability to manipulate people(or shinigami's) emotions does not suggest a better ability to deal with cognitive complexity, as this is the sort of ability that is developed and performed intuitively without cognitively thinking about complex patterns of information. Light had great social cunning, but L was more intelligent.
OpinionatedMan

Pro

Perhaps my layout was not clearly stated. I said Round 1 is acceptance of the debate only in round 2 do we justify why Light or L is more intelligent. Nonetheless, I can excuse you for it since you do bring up an interesting viewpoint on the matter.

First I shall explain why, by my definition, Light Yagami is almost unquestionably more intelligent. Cognitive and complexity are two separate words so perhaps I should break the definition down further in order to make it clear exactly what I am trying to convey in terms of the characteristic trait associated with intelligence. 'Cognitive' is defined on the highly regarded Dictionary.com [specific definition source:http://dictionary.reference.com... "of or pertaining to the mental processes of perception, memory, judgment, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional processes." and complexity [http://dictionary.reference.com...] is merely being complex and complex [http://dictionary.reference.com...] is "to be characterized by a very complicated or involved arrangement of parts, units,". Now, I agree that when we take away the side of emotions and manipulation it seems as if L is the definite winner. However, I am going to prove to you from several evidential incidents during the series that Light displays far more intelligence than L in both his feats and his avoidance of others' attempts to destroy him. I shall also prove to you how even without the power, Light is smart enough to outsmart Kira (I am referring to Kira as separate to Light because we can assume that when Light possesses the death note he is not the pure Light but has an added advantage) before L and how the moment he touches the death note paper on the book and all his memories return he, al the way before he lost the power and memory had planned so far ahead in time that he knew that the Light Yagami prior to being Kira always wore a watch.

The first instance of Light's genius was in episode 8 where he creates a false bottom in his desk drawer to hide the Death Note, and then make a pencil (or pen the anime wasn't clear) the only key to use, something I'm sure even L would not have suspected. If it were L, seeing how messy L can be and how unhygienic he lives, he would probably have left it amongst his other books. Or hidden it extravagantly considering the amount of money he has access to. Light used the little he had to its fullest potential in terms of hiding the Death Note, he wasn't particularly the richest guy in town, police do not earn that large an income especially not compared to mastermind L the greatest detective alive due to opportunity in life, not because Light would have made a less efficient one). So what I am highlighting here is how there was a huge income imbalance and power rift between L and Light at the beginning. Light gradually found his way to bridge the gap between the power L had over him and he had over L but L was the one who failed to maintain such a power rift and also did not even consider the possibility of a false bottom.

The second intelligence incident of Light as contrasted with L is that Light is not attached or 'dragged down' by a philosophical endeavour. He wants to kill all criminals but doesn't only kill criminals if there are others in his way. L is a very immature individual when it comes to moral reasoning and understanding to ignore emotional attachments and think with true cognitive complexity. L would never kill someone who wasn't legally intended to be killed, nor would he even consider the possibility of using someone and turning them against both themselves and their entire organisation. L is unable to effectively plan, he is only able to decipher others' plans! Light can both predict L with great accuracy, as shown when he knows that L would imprison him whilst he had pre-planned to give up ownership of the death note to an impulsive individual that would be relatively easy to find. L on the other hand could never predict Light's next move. L could assume that Kira would kill criminals but who, when, how? L didn't have a clue. He was ignorant, even after blatantly obvious signs and clues from Light himself (such as the message regarding Death Gods liking apples) that anything supernatural could be the mechanism by which Kira kills. L was ignorant and his ignorance and resistance to a different way of thinking are exactly what caused his downfall. Light could read L like a book, he knew what L would 'like to hear come out of Light's mouth' and he know what L would 'suspect Light to be Kira if he said'. For example when L organises his Father to hold a gun to Light and Misa (Light cleverly used Misa, may I add, L did not even try to use Misa even when he knew all about the Shinigamis) Light knew that L would assume that if Kira had a name and a face Kira could kill. Perhaps, if Light could have killed that way he would but what is important is he couldn't kill that way. He knew the L would not expect a physical object to also be involved in the killing process so Light passed the 'Kira test' in that he did not threaten to kill, nor kill, his Father and predicted that L would never suspect a physical object to be involved. It might have been luck but there is more evidence that Light can predict L than L can even slightly predict Light.

The third point was raised at the beginning of the second but I shall elaborate on it. The point I raised is L's ethical limitation's, illogical, ignorant and very hindering to his progress on the Kira hunt. Light not only caused an FBI member himself to kill the entire FBI in an extremely elaborately planned manner but also caught L completely off-guard. L seems to think that everyone thinks like he does. He even tells the police to work alone all of a sudden since he has no cognitive recognition of the advantage of the team as opposed to him alone. In fact, if it wasn't for the lucky fact that Aizawa still felt loyal to the fighting Kira cause, the impulsive Kira wouldn't have been caught so soon.

The final point to consider is that L never came close to finding Kira. In fact he ended up identifying Light as his friend. Light never was fooled to like Ryuk as a friend, and he in fact was far more subtle a traitor than Light was to L. Light can read people like books and can read book, as shown by his exam results, very efficiently. Light also can plan just as well as he can decipher plans, as proven by when he plans for his loss of memory of owning the death note and almost knows exactly how the previous Light would act. He can analyse himself very critically even though he had almost completely transformed into a new person.

In conclusion, Light is more intelligent than L in that he can form plans far superior to L but can decipher plans to a somewhat equal level to L. He can predict almost anyone's actions, even his former self and can immediately adapt to having a sudden rush of memories as shown in the helicopter when he remembers he is the original Kira.
MasturDbtor

Con

MasturDbtor forfeited this round.
OpinionatedMan

Pro

Since he forfeited I have no points to rebut nor do I have any more points to raise.
MasturDbtor

Con

MasturDbtor forfeited this round.
OpinionatedMan

Pro

OpinionatedMan forfeited this round.
MasturDbtor

Con

MasturDbtor forfeited this round.
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
The national TV thing was unbelievable. He also figured out that Light was a college student living in Kanto, Japan, in 3 episodes. Kira could have been anyone in the world, but he narrowed down his age and location that quickly.

That being said, Light is definently a beast imo. He basically confirmed that he wasnt Kira three different times, and all his plans worked out except the last one. But even then, that was actually Mikami's fault for killing that one girl, not Light's. He should have won in the end.
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Yeah but some of L's ideas were really incredible, Like the Fake L and national TV. I was really suprised.
Posted by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
doesnt light kick l's butt in the end? obviously he outsmarted him so he is more intelligent.
Posted by famer 5 years ago
famer
Favourited this debate! I HAVE to watch this! ^.^
Big fan of Death Note myself :)
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
No thats alright, I dont think I should do debates for now cause I already have alote on my hand...
Posted by iPwnuNOW 5 years ago
iPwnuNOW
Light knows how to manipulate people so yeah he is more intelligent
Posted by OpinionatedMan 5 years ago
OpinionatedMan
If you like I can cancel this debate and debate on the side of L
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Nah I agree with you. Plus Ive had enough debating for now...
Posted by OpinionatedMan 5 years ago
OpinionatedMan
If you believe L is more intelligent then accept it at your round one debate :)
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Nice debate, big fan of Death Note. :D
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
OpinionatedManMasturDbtorTied