crushermegaman
RyuuKyuzo

Light Yagami is what the world needs

RyuuKyuzo

crushermegaman

Pro

Light Yagami should be god of the new world.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

Since the BOP rests with my opponent and he hasn't made an argument for his position yet, I'm assuming that this round is just for acceptance.

I accept and I look forward to a good debate.
crushermegaman

Pro

Just saying that Light Yagami should be god of the new world, justice is well deserved to criminals who get away with things or do bad in general. Since you accepted thy challenge do you must grant me good reasons why he should not. Sorry if I'm quite new to this debating and maybe just need some inspiration on how this all works, but It's quite obvious we have a argument, but anyway......Type away sire.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

I thank my opponent for his timely response.

My opponent contends that the BOP lies with me and not him. This is false. My opponent is the one putting forth the claim that Yagami should be the leader (or God) of the new world and it is therefore his responsibility to prove this. Unless my opponent can give adequate justification for why Light Yagami is the best candidate for the power of the 'death note' and therefore the best candidate for "God", this debate stands in favour of con.

However, to get this debate going I will provide what is basically the only argument needed to completely discredit Light Yagami from being worthy of the role as "God", the words of the co-creator of the character himself, Tsugami Ohba:

"Ohba described Light's life as "ruined" once he obtained the Death Note, and that Light became a victim of the Death Note "in many ways," Ohba described Light as initially having good intentions despite being "very conceited".Ohba also describes Light as having a "warped... desire to be godlike," bearing love for his family, and intending to transform the world into "a better place." Death Note 13: How to Read also states that Light, "uncompromising" when achieving his ideals, "sullied" himself by using the Death Note and that his actions "may have been the result of the purity within him" prior to obtaining the Death Note". (1)

Notice how Ohba describes Light as being "pure" prior to receiving the deathnote. Meaning since Light obtained the deathnote, he has been corrupted, or "warped" as Ohba said it himself.

It's clear that the character "Light Yagami" was made intentionally and meticulously to be the absolute worst person possible to receive the deathnote. He is a genius, but his genius allows him to perform mental gymnastics around his moral compass to better suit his own needs as evidence by him justifying his father's death as a "necessary sacrifice" despite the fact that his father's death was only made necessary by Light's desire to not be caught so he could continue killing people he finds 'unworthy' of life. It's also worth noting that Light's final request to his father before he (his father) dies is for him to kill Mello, one of the people trying to capture and bring down Light Yagami (episode 19, "Father"). (2) This further shows Light's selfish and unsympathetic nature.

Finally, I would like to site the character description of Light Yagami provided by the Deathnote wikia page:

"Through use of the Death Note, Light quickly begins to develop a cruel and malevolent nature. He becomes completely devoid of love, compassion and mercy. He views himself as the only rightful savior of mankind and that all his actions are justified, no matter how inhuman they might be. He is shown to even be willing to sacrifice his own family to obtain his goals." (3)

Given that both the creator of the character AND the fan base are virtually in complete agreement that Light Yagami is a cruel and corrupted individual, it is clear that he is not a good choice for leading the world whatsoever.

Before I conclude, keep in mind that unless Pro's rebuttal both discredits my argument and justifies his position, he has not fulfilled the BOP and therefore loses the debate.

I look forward to your response.
crushermegaman

Pro

"BOP"? Still confusing...oh well..

To be honest, I haven't read that much since I was going through a coupon magazine looking for a good Chinese buffet. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

Anyway...I understand that Light had many flaws and yes the Co-Creator wanted the whole story to be based on no one can play god. But from my PoV Light would still be a great leader...let me have a go at this.

You say that many of the fan base say that he is cruel and what not, but there is also people who think he was doing everything for the right reasons. ALTHOUGH none of that was even what I wanted to bring in the debate.

I more or less wanted to debate on rather or not he should be god of the world, if you can explain why he shouldn't use his keen senses and intelligence to to rid criminals than go ahead, unless you like that sort of thing.

Even though he died, the worlds criminal population by the end of the show dropped majorly. Of course I'm saying what I know, I'm not going savaging through the internet like a fool looking for citations for anyone.

So even if he were to die as being god in our world, the criminals would still retain a slight thought of, "What If"? I mean obviously when millions of people were being killed daily. He even having a whole organization of followers who also killed criminals was quite good/bad at the same time.

ALSO, he should be god of the new world because HE HAS GOOD HAIR! You are a good Master DEBATER sir, but don't deny the hair.

All I wan't is a solid statement on why he shouldn't be god to accomplish the goal of creating a justified world? He does bad things with good intentions. DO you support the criminals?
RyuuKyuzo

Con

Once again I commend my opponent on his timely response. To clarify, "BOP" means "burden of proof".

My opponent's argument is essentially that of consequentialism. Crime went down, therefore Light's actions are justified. My opponent refuses to back this statement (crime went down) with a source, but I can vouch for it's validity as I am fairly familiar with the series.

There are several problems with this approach.

1. Imperfect Knowledge
Light Yagami is not omniscient. He can only base his judgements on what little information he is privy to, meaning mistakes can and most likely will be made often. This risk alone is enough to deter most people from supporting such a system.

2. Light is Hypocritical
His goal is to cleanse the world of criminals, but his only means of doing this is to kill them via his deathnote. This means he isn't really solving the problem of murdering, he's just monopolizing the service. Sure, he thinks his killing is justified, but then again so does virtually every murderer, especially the infamous and murderous political leaders we so ardently loathe such as Hitler, Stalin, Mao, etc. Ultimately, murder rates don't really drop in the series, Light merely takes over the bulk of murders.

3. End may not Justify the Means
Once again, Light is not omniscient. There is no guarantee that his methods would actually work in real life. It is absolutely possible that the fear of imminent death at any time will result in pandemonic rioting rather than fearful obedience. Furthermore, it's also possible that Light's methods may simply result in murderers being more clever about keeping their names a secret (Light needs both the name and the mental image of the person to kill them), making his methods worse than ineffectual as catching these criminals is now harder for the police as well.

My opponent then argues that Light has great hair. I cannot deny this, his hair is impeccable. However This argument is ultimately a non-sequitur as "good hair" =/= "good leader".

My opponents final argument is a logical fallacy known as "false dichotomy". My opponent states that, "All I wan't is a solid statement on why he shouldn't be god to accomplish the goal of creating a justified world? He does bad things with good intentions. DO you support the criminals?" -- insinuating that not agreeing with Light's methods is the same as supporting criminals. This is not the case. There are alternative methods for dealing with criminals other than mass homicide such as the current justice system which allows judgement to be given by jury of the defendants peers rather than one homicidal teenager with a shoddy moral compass. Our system isn't perfect, but it's better than the alternative my opponent is arguing.

To reiterate, Light's lack of perfect knowledge, along with his warped and selfish disposition outlined in my original argument, shows that the world would not only not benefit from Light's tyrannical reign, but the world would actually be worse off than it would be without him at all, especially in the light of already existing justice systems.

I will now end my argument with a quote. The implications of this quote are obvious:

"Death solves all problems — no man, no problem."

- Joseph Stalin, Generalissimus of the Soviet Union who saw to the deaths of roughly 40 million people during his time in power.
crushermegaman

Pro

Those who don't follow Kira are the ones who are truly evil. Follow Kira.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

My opponent has failed to discredit my points from round 3, nor does he provide justification for his statement made in round 4.

My arguments stand.
crushermegaman

Pro

Your arguments means nothing to me, because you could never understand. *writes name in book* lolol XD
RyuuKyuzo

Con

Well, that pretty much sums up this debate. Pro has failed to both discredit my arguments and meet the BOP.

Vote con. =)
Posted by crushermegaman 5 years ago
crushermegaman
Makes sense.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 5 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
This was my first DDO debate, but from looking around at a few other debates I picked up on some of the local lingo.

Burden of proof (BOP) means that it is your burden to make arguments for your case while all I have to do is refute them.
Posted by crushermegaman 5 years ago
crushermegaman
Dude I'm still confused on the BOP? I was like what the hell is he talking about. How many of these debates have you done thus far?
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 5 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
Thanks crushermegaman. I have a blackbelt in Google-fu and a Ph.D. in Googlenomics ;)
Posted by crushermegaman 5 years ago
crushermegaman
I thought that was pretty fun man, I was play wanting to play around a bit. Good job with all your knowledge man, but that hair thing will forever crack me up!
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 5 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
Voting is now open. Vote away guys =3
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 5 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
crushermegamanRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were more substantial, and Pro failed to uphold his burden of proof.
Vote Placed by Korashk 5 years ago
Korashk
crushermegamanRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: This wasn't even a contest, all Pro did was assert claims and never addressed Con's arguments. He also failed to meet his BOP, as Con correctly claimed.