panthercub21
flyingtuna420

Limiting freedom of expression

panthercub21

Pro

This is more of a discussion than an argument per se. So, is there a limit to freedom of expression in America? Should there be one? If so, where should the limit be? If there should be no limit, why not? How would this limitless expression affect others, and the freedoms of other people to live how they choose?
Speaking as a Jew, I have been told many times that I am going to hell (which I find great amusement in personally). Should people be allowed to damn others for their beliefs? How far should they be allowed to go? When does something become a hate crime? Should the KKK be legal?
Once I can get a handle on your opinions, we can further discuss your quote from voltaire (sp?) about not agreeing with someone but defending their right to state disagreeable things to the death.
flyingtuna420

Con

My views on the subject are rather simple.

No there should be no limit to freedom of expression, providing you do not cause harm to people or property. With hate groups like the kkk, they absolutely have a right to hold their own views they can hate all the blacks and jews they want. That is their right just as it is my right to hate them.

Something becomes a hate crime when harm is done to people or property specifically because of their ethnicity, sex of sexual orientation.

My point with voltaire is that even if I think what a person is saying is horrible and I find it reprehensible I have no right to say that they can not say it.

the government can not make Ideas illegal.
panthercub21

Pro

By "not causing harm", do you mean emotional or physcological harm as well? (As in harming others with words)

When you say the that the government shouldn't make ideas illegal, does that mean that mean that you are also against the separation of church and state, since that is technically saying that certain ideas are outlawed in certain places? If so, are you then in favor of legislation that requires prayer in schools?

Also, you don't believe that the government should sensor TV and radio for curse words?

I like the quote, I just want to see how far you go with it.
flyingtuna420

Con

I am in favor of the separation of church and state, I am very much against requiring prayer in school, I do not believe that there should be time out of an already short school day for prayer. but I also believe that if some one wants to shout from the rafters how great god is, them they can do so. it is perfectly legal. Just as it is perfectly legal for people to ignore them. or argue back or even heckle.

as for curse words absolutely not, but people should have to deal with a possible public backlash. for example if a network wants to put curses in a kids show then it should not be illegal and censored but they would have to deal with very angry parents.
It just simply is not the governments place to regulate what our ideas and beliefs are.
panthercub21

Pro

panthercub21 forfeited this round.
flyingtuna420

Con

My opponent has forfeited their round, because they have run out of time, I look forward to hearing their next argument.
Vote Placed by JonJon 9 years ago
JonJon
panthercub21flyingtuna420Tied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
panthercub21flyingtuna420Tied
Vote Placed by flyingtuna420 9 years ago
flyingtuna420
panthercub21flyingtuna420Tied