maxh
solo

Linux is better than Windows

Started: 1/3/2008 Category: Technology

maxh

Pro

Linux has several advantages. It is more secure, offers more choice, and is open source. It is more secure because it is UNIX-based. UNIX was designed with multiuser security in mind. Linux also offers more choice. For example, see the numerous desktop environments and distributions. The fact it is open source allows for further customization.
solo

Con

I'm not going to dispute these very good points you make, but I will make my argument that Linux is different from Windows, not necessarily better.

I will however allow their respective sales figures determine which is "better", as sales figures speak for themselves and people, in general, accept that as a reasonable means to determine the superiority of one entity over another.

I will also allow their respective popularity and the daily use of each system also speak as to which is "better".
maxh

Pro

>> I will make my argument that Linux is different from Windows, not necessarily better.
Please do so, then!

>> allow their respective sales figures determine which is "better"
Remember that Linux is (usually) free. So dollar amount sales figures reflect nothing. Your next argument is use.

>> I will also allow their respective popularity and the daily use of each system also speak as to which is "better".
Microsoft is a monopoly, which does not necessarily make their product better.
solo

Con

<>

1*. Linux is different from Windows, not necessarily better. There. Done!

<>

2. You admit Windows produces "better" profits.

<>

3. With this statement, you're admitting that Windows is more popular and more widely used on a daily basis.

So, in two out of three points, you've indicated that Windows is "better" and Linux. Now I will list just a few reasons that support why Linux is NOT better than Windows.

1. Linux isn't user-friendly.

2. When problems arise in Linux, IT experience is often require to resolve the problem. You almost always have to have a high degree of understanding of the Linux program to trouble-shoot.

3. When problems arise in Linux, you can't just Google the problem and find a fast solution.

With the way that technology is evolving, Linux may be better than Windows SOMEDAY. But that day isn't today, nor is it tomorrow. Thank you.
maxh

Pro

1. Good, you've made a statement. Now argue for it.

2. When I say Linux is better than Windows, I'm referring to the obvious point of comparison- product quality. That's why I said "Linux is better than Windows", not "Linux has better profit margins than Windows".

3. And this is important how? Besides, Windows is only more used in the consumer market. The majority of servers run Linux.

~~~

1. What is this, 1998? Linux may not have been particularly user-friendly then, but a lot has happened in ten years. Have you tried Ubuntu [http://www.ubuntu.com...]? You don't even have to install it to test it out. Although not everything is guaranteed to work as-is, you can get help. There are actually several problems with the user-friendlyness of Windows. For example, putting the "shut down" command under "Start". It doesn't seem difficult to someone who is used to Windows, but if you give someone without computer experience a Windows system and a Linux system (both ready for use), they're more likely to use Linux.

2a. Not anymore. You may need lots of IT experience to fully understand how the system works, but the smae applies to Windows.

2b. You may need a high degree of experience to troubleshoot on your own, but thats what support forums are for. You can just tell people your problem, and they'll tell you how to give them enough information to fix the problem.

3. Wrong. I just searched for the error "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal" (I've never had that, but it apparently happens). 2nd Google result is someone who had the problem and got it fixed. And this is without the too-common fix for Windows problems-- "format and reinstall", which is seen as something that has to be done all the time in Windows, just like rebooting often.

So far, too many of your points have not been relevant to my argument that Linux is better than Windows, or they have been wrong. Should I expect some better attempts at arguments now that I will not have a chance refute them?
solo

Con

<<1. Good, you've made a statement. Now argue for it.>>

I'm sorry that you missed them. Allow me to re-post them:

"Now I will list just a few reasons that support why Linux is NOT better than Windows.

1. Linux isn't user-friendly.

3. When problems arise in Linux, you can't just Google the problem and find a fast solution."

I hope you don't miss it again this time.

<<2. When I say Linux is better than Windows, I'm referring to the obvious point of comparison- product quality. That's why I said "Linux is better than Windows", not "Linux has better profit margins than Windows".>>

And I'm to read your mind? You should say what you mean and mean what you say in the future to avoid confusion. My points still stand. Windows is superior to Linux in the ways that matter and count.

<<3. And this is important how? Besides, Windows is only more used in the consumer market. The majority of servers run Linux.>>

Popular opinion is what determines what is best. It is how we elect officials to government. It is how we rate movies and sports. The more people that favor one thing over another determine what is best. It is the way of the world.

~~~

<<1. What is this, 1998? Linux may not have been particularly user-friendly then, but a lot has happened in ten years. Have you tried Ubuntu [http://www.ubuntu.com......]?>>

Irrelevant to this debate. This is about Linux and Windows. You're confusing yourself and getting off topic.

<<2a. Not anymore. You may need lots of IT experience to fully understand how the system works, but the smae applies to Windows.>>

I disagree, but assuming you are correct, there are help-lines that offer tech support. Technicians can walk you through the necessary steps, over the phone, to correct your problem. Linux offers no such service.

<<2b. You may need a high degree of experience to troubleshoot on your own, but thats what support forums are for. You can just tell people your problem, and they'll tell you how to give them enough information to fix the problem.>>

Yes, but with a superior product like Windows, the forums already have a solution to the problem more often than not. Linux requires people to investigate the problem and get back to you at their leisure. That's if they can even figure your problem out in the first place.

<>

Actually, my points have been very relevant to my argument and it is you who has been wrong. Very much so.

<>

I'm not sure if what you expect after making a comment like this. Should people take pity on you and give you their votes because you lack debating ablility? I don't know what to make of this, so I'll just allow the voters to decide.

Thank you for the debate!
Posted by Sunnyx86 3 years ago
Sunnyx86
Yes Linux is the best!
Posted by MurdersLastCrow 7 years ago
MurdersLastCrow
If I had a mobile phone, I would vote for Pro. You have to have a lot of experience with both of these platforms to understand the issues. I get the impression that many of the voters did not read the arguments presented.

I must admit though, it would have been a good idea to state quality of the software and its usefulness were better in Linux than Windows. The argument wasn't as clear as it could have been.

I still don't understand how having a wider market share or monopoly or popularity have anything to do with being better. You are only arguing that Windows has more advertising. No matter how many people use it, it doesn't discount open source.
Posted by Mr.ROdr1duez 9 years ago
Mr.ROdr1duez
Solo what ever your name is i would like to talk to u...how about it if u have a myspace or something mine is myspace.com/rockstarman11 ... or if u are able to compose a e-mail please take your time it's rodriguez_11 @live.com or rockstarman11 @yahoo.com please take you time if u wish...interesting im from Brooklyn, Ny,NY
Posted by maxh 9 years ago
maxh
I hope you do try Linux. I'd recommend you use the Ubuntu distribution, as it is designed to be especially easy for new Linux users (which is why I brought it up in the debate). And Linux forums often do have a solution already-- that's where I found the test case problem.

Also, your turn to start ISC debate.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
Easy, people do it all the time. (i.e. "My religion is better than yours.") I took this debate for the challenge of it and hope it is judged for what it is. In truth, I've never used Linux and if I did, I'd probably find it superior to Windows, as I think Windows is a piece of crap. HA!
Posted by lilbugleboy09 9 years ago
lilbugleboy09
It doesn't sound like solo has ever tried Linux...I really don't see how you can take place in a this is better than that debate without experiencing both sides.
Vote Placed by X_mitchell 6 years ago
X_mitchell
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by sqr47 7 years ago
sqr47
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by cheesecake42 7 years ago
cheesecake42
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by KacieMeredith 7 years ago
KacieMeredith
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by EinShtoin 7 years ago
EinShtoin
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by numa 7 years ago
numa
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by Chihuahuadogz 7 years ago
Chihuahuadogz
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by solo 8 years ago
solo
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by HCPwns95 9 years ago
HCPwns95
maxhsoloTied
Vote Placed by Grandma 9 years ago
Grandma
maxhsoloTied