noooooooo
beem0r

Linux is better than mac

Con Tied Pro
Started: 1/24/2008 Category: Technology

noooooooo

Con

My only opening argument is that mac is not free their for is beter quality

I have evvery right to make a new argument in my next speech. i choose to wait

n
beem0r

Pro

Being free of cost does not make something better. In fact, all other things being the same, that makes it worse. A higher cost is bad for the consumer, and we're arguing from the viewpoint of the consumer.

Keep in mind, also, that Linux is a wide variety of operating systems.

For instance, some people are simply not computer-savvy. There are Linux distributions catered specifically to these people's needs. On the other hand, many other Linux distributions cater specifically to the computer-savvy among us. No matter what your computing needs, Linux likely has something for you.

I'll leave it at that for now, since it's 4 rounds and my opponent must still make his case.
noooooooo

Con

i am sorry for this, i did not intend to say mac, but osx the primal operating system for mac is better then linux for mac. but i do not have very long to answer but i will go over my next arguements.

1. Linux Is hard to operate and hard to install
2. More programs for osx
3. osx is used by more people
4. osx is better quality for picture work
5. Their is so many types of linuxes its hard to find programs for your certain one
beem0r

Pro

beem0r forfeited this round.
noooooooo

Con

noooooooo forfeited this round.
beem0r

Pro

I'll now respond to each of my opponent's arguments.

>>1. Linux Is hard to operate and hard to install<<

As I previously stated, there are different distributions of Linux that cater to the needs of different types of users. Some are made for the non-computer-geek, with an interface just as easy and/or familiar to operate as that of Windows.

Also, perhaps it's been a while since you tried installing Linux, but most popular distributions are very simple to install. Just like Windows or probably even OSX, they walk the installer through each step.

>>2. More programs for osx<<

False. Quite false. While it's true that many mainstream applications don't install on Linux, even less of them work on OSX. In both cases, a Windows emulator is usually needed. Also, hobbyist programmers almost never make programs for OSX. These are the programs that are usually free, too.

I challenge the Con to back up his claim that OSX has a better array of available programs than Linux.

3. osx is used by more people

For December 2007, Mac was 4.0% of people, Linux was 3.5%
However, it's not that I wish to point out. Let's look at Windows Vista and Windows XP for Dec '07.
Vista: 6.5%
WinXP: 73.4%

WOW! XP must be WAY better than ANY other operating system!
Wrong. Usage does not make something better or worse.
Therefore, that point is void, meaningless.

>>4. osx is better quality for picture work<<

WHAT? I can understand how you could come upon that conclusion based on gossip, but there's nothing about OSX that makes it better for 'picture work.' It as the same display capabilities as Linux.

Please back up your assertion, then I might lend it some credence.

>>5. Their is so many types of linuxes its hard to find programs for your certain one<<

Let's say I download Ubuntu Linux. _I DON'T HAVE TO USE UBUNTU SPECIFIC PROGRAMS_. You don't need programs for your specific Linux. Your point is therefore void.

And now some offense:

OSX only works on Maxs - and only on G3's and up. Linux works on, well, just about anything. This is a great boon for Linux, since it's often much better for computer builders or buyers to buy traditional PC's. The prices are often much better for the same amount of power, since they're more widely made.

OSX only supports up to 2 processors, while Linux supports up to 16. While this may seem trivial, it is not so trivial for some, especially the people with ultra-high end systems, you know, the ones more likely to be doing that 'picture work.' As in 3d model development, etc. Once again, OSX limits your hardware options.

OSX is slower than Linux.
http://sekhon.berkeley.edu...
Has benchmarks and other information. While the gap used to be quite large, it has been reduced. However, Linux remains faster than OSX.

OSX costs money - not only for the operating system itself, but also for the special hardware you need in order to run it. Linux is free, and works on a wide variety of platforms.

That should suffice.
noooooooo

Con

I would like to start off by complementing the aff on his answers.
and also to state that i do run ubuntu linux.
Ok To start off With

>>Linux is Easy to install<<

My opponent claims that Linux is easy to install

Lets use Ubuntu Linux for an example

To use ubuntu linux you either have to install it or get it in the mail. or BUY it.

To get it from mail it takes about 3 months
And to download it you have to put it in your d: drive or somthing and extract it then reset your computer and press f8 then..... Its not easy at all, for normal people like my mom.
Where as OSX Comes with the system pre-installed their for is easier to use.

>>2. More programs for osx<<
False. Quite false. While it's
true that many mainstream applica
tions don't install on Linux, even
less of them work on OSX. In both
cases, a Windows emulator is usual
ly needed. Also, hobbyist programm
ers almost never make programs for
OSX. These are the programs that
are usually free, too.I challenge
the Con to back up his claim that
OSX has a better array of availab
le programs than Linux.

This is not an argument and the aff knows it, Their are so many more programs for mac then windows, most games know come today also come in mac such as age of empires, world of warcraft. none of those games come for linux and WINE is hard to understand. some people dont even know how to open the console in linux. Most easy emulaters cost money for linux like a monthy bill. Some more programs for osx not for linux microsoft office,Adobe photo shop, VIRTUAL PET ROCK, and more.

i rest the rest of my case on this, whats the point of linux if it doesnt do anything

~~now for some defence~~

Note i cannot provide a source nor can i see yours for the linux is faster than mac arguement because my school computer blocks like every single website in the world. But anyways I dont care if linux is faster for the computer Genus we are talking about the avverage joe here

ahh gtg....maybe ill finish this in the comments...
beem0r

Pro

1. "Hard to install?"

My opponent's first claim is that Linux is hard to install simply because you actually have to install it.

HOWEVER... there are computers that come with Linux pre-installed. My opponent's entire point on this is that "OSX Comes with the system pre-installed their for is easier to use." Ergo, this is void, because just as OSX comes pre-installed on some computers, so does Linux.

2. "Less programs?"

My opponent has simply asserted that mac has more programs than Windows or Linux, without giving any sources. Yes, there are some games that run natively on Mac as well as Windows. There are also many games with Linux ports. Neither have "Most" mainstream windows programs, since developers aren't usually willing to port their programs.

First, to support my side, I would ask you to do a google search of "OS X programs" or and "Linux Programs" and see which has more results.
However, this is not conclusive. Here, I'll give you a quote from a Mac fanboy's page (http://lowendmac.com...):

"Yes, despite the hoo-hah about free meaning open, the fact remains that Linux has many more no-cost useable small application programs, such as MP3 players, calendars, PIMs, and so on, than any other OS."

The only realm in which Apple beats Linux on programs is in the content creation area. Here I mean video, image, and 3-d model editing. However, this has no bearing on the average user, since the average user does not create content.

And when it comes to games, Linux has just as much support as OS X. This is because neither use DirectX, so it's very difficult to port most games, and not worth it for the companies due to the small markets each of them have.

And for those normal users who do stuff like edit images, there's a great FREE image editor for Linux (GIMP). Those average users who use Photoshop simply download it illegally, since it costs quite a large sum of money. There are also free movie editors and 3-d model editors, and while they might not be as good as their costly cousins, they're much more worth it.

And now to attack your 'defense.'

Your school blocking the site I linked does not give you the ability to disregard it. You should have waited until you got home. My source is valid, and Linux isn't just faster for computer geniuses, it's also faster for the average Joe (who, incidentally, doesn't use any of the things Mac is actually good at, i.e. content creation).

Linux is a faster OS, Linux is free, Linux has a lot more free programs and supports just as many mainstream games as OS X. Linux does not require specific hardware - it actually runs on the average Joe's computer. For the average Joe, who you even said yourself this debate is about, Linux is definitely a wiser choice for an OS than OS X.
Posted by Fartbubble 2 years ago
Fartbubble
Don't Linux and Mac OS both use UNIX?
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Hmmm, looks like a challenge - let's have a go a supporting good old OS X...

1) I don't think it's possible to be easier to install an OS more easily than OS X
The only complications are options which any OS would have to deal with.

2) Number of programs isn't particularly relevant. Consistency of the programs is.
Apple have been pushing consistency of interface for over two decades.
The other OS's have been (slowly) catching on - and imitating OS X.
Why is it Ubuntu is so similar? Even their desktop background is an almost identical brown version of OS X's blue swish.
It's the sincerest form of flattery ;-)

3) Which OS has more users isn't terribly relevant, but the change in numbers IS.
http://www.informationweek.com...
Why would OS X be growing so quickly when there is a free competitor?
Maybe the Mac/OS X has something going for it.

4) OS X is particularly good with images. Why? Because Core Image is built in [optimised hardware-accelerated image routines].
This saves third-party applications the trouble of reinventing commonly used routines - and so makes it more likely that they will be used by programs when useful.
Of course, one can download GIMP for the Mac as well.

5) Content creation. Now this is where the Mac shines. The "Average Joe" can do a lot with a Mac, and in my experience in user services they do. GarageBand comes with the Mac - very easy music creation.

6) Hardware-Software synergy. Heard of the iPod? A very popular gadget, designed to work with your Mac via iTunes. Is there a unique Linux equivalent?
Is there even really any respectable competition?

7) Fewer hardware-related issues. You're operating on an Apple machine, so the OS knows what to expect.

Writing to you from an 8-core Apple machine (OS X does seem to support more than 2 processors ;-)

Cheers!
Posted by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
Uhhh. Con got trampled. Sad debate.
Posted by Defenestrator 9 years ago
Defenestrator
The instigator failed to meet the burden of proof in my opinion.
Posted by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
Sorry bout the forfeit, had a busy weekend. Feel free to simply extend your current points, expand on them, and/or make more of them in round three.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Given that there is a small amount of content within this debate, I doubt this forfeit will be much of an impact.
Vote Placed by soldierboy 9 years ago
soldierboy
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by JUDGE 9 years ago
JUDGE
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by THEmanlyDEBATER3 9 years ago
THEmanlyDEBATER3
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by dominasian 9 years ago
dominasian
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Sanchez 9 years ago
Sanchez
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Grandma 9 years ago
Grandma
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by bigbass3000 9 years ago
bigbass3000
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by noooooooo 9 years ago
noooooooo
noooooooobeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Ithuwakaga 9 years ago
Ithuwakaga
noooooooobeem0rTied