Lions are better, sexier and superior to wolves overall (canine vs feline)

Ok now. The pro is for lions.

Simply it is like this. Who is better? Who is sexier? Who is superior? The wolf. How to deny this? Simple, you can't. If one thinks they can, I shall offer this for you to accept. You can define (myst be scientifically accurate) and also YOU have the burden of proof, I have the burden of denial only.

I thank my opponent for instigating this, very interesting debate topic. I will now define the terms.

Before I move on to definitions, my opponent claims that I alone have the BOP, but this is clearly incorrect. The BOP here is shared, my opponent must prove that Wolves are better, sexier, and superior to lions and I must prove that Lions are better, sexier, and superior to wolves. Clearly, the BOP is shared.

Better - of superior quality or excellence, in this case, which animal is superior to the other factoring in all relevant factors
Superior - of higher grade, or quality
Sexier - more sexually interesting or exciting to humans
Lions - a large, usually tawny cat, Panthera Leo, native to Africa and Southern Asia, having a tufted tail and in the male a large mane
Wolves - any of large carnivorous mammals of the genus Canis, of the dog family Canidae, especially C. Lupus
Overall - covering or including everything

As this debate can cover a wide range of topics, I suggest we limit the comparisons between the two species to only which is sexier and which is superior (as in more likely to survive eg. hunting habits, sleeping grounds, behavior etc.). However, I request that "superior" be limited to a certian degree e.g. superior at hunting, as we can compare almost any aspect e.g. the colour of their hair, yellow is superior to grey. My opponent will have the honor of saying what category superior must fall in.

I look forward to my opponent's opening arguments and a VERY interesting debate!

Ok actually he is right I have BOP ok sorry.

I'll introduce wolves.

First the sexual appeal, I shall explain what female humans associate with sexy (males associate things like hairdo and boobs. How can I relate this to a wolf?) and why wolves are sexy (I shall not be focusing on why they are MORE sexy than lions for this round). I shall begin what females find sexy in males and how wolves use almost identical factors to determine who the alpha male is. Then I shall move on to what humans generally associate with sexual things in a person and why wolves, abstractly, represent this. I have a source [1] and am basing most of my argument on this. The thing is other sources said things like 'a good smile' or 'smells good'. Neither wolves nor lions can relate to that kind of sexy. The source I am using explains sexiness at a sort of core base.

Women stated fitness, manners, grooming of hair, stamina and sexual creativity.

As for manners, wolves have a strict code of order and behaviour within their 'societies' or packs[2]. Leaders are known as Alpha (Male and Female). The dominance is communicated by posture and vocally. This show of force rarely leads to serious injuries. The Lowest ranking wolf is known as an Omega (Male or Female). The Omega wolf serves an important purpose by absorbing the packs aggression thereby maintaining balance within the pack. This submissive position is displayed by means of body language. No wolf ever will fight another unless there is a DIRECT challenge for alpha male status. Meaning that unlike with many pack-styled animals, the alpha wolf NEVER EVER seeks to intimidate or even does something like hurt his brothers in the pack without a fight being started by a beta male (higher than the omega and lower than the alpha), even a scratch or a bite isn't seen. Wolves are very different to dogs, the adults never play fight. Fighting is only EVER seen either to challenge alpha male or between species, or play-fighting amongst pups. (I don't have a source that states this but I know form several years being obsessed with the animal, feel free to display play fighting amongst wolves).

Dance ability is irrelevant to either animal in this debate.

Wolves are known to put pride in their hair, often shaking involuntarily, whether or not wet, to shake off dust. Their hair is immaculate as in this picture: I promise not a painting but a picture! The hair is just so well kept!

Stamina is no question to wolves. Wolves have an extra web between their toes for snow walking. They can travel great distances covering up to 200km in 48 hours. Under threat wolves will purge their stomach contents to make their bodies lighter for flight. When wolves are put into abnormal situations – small enclosures or when physically abused or threatened, they display aggressive behaviour and often become violent to protect themselves.[2]

Sexual creativity is definitely present amongst wolves. Wolves actually begin an increase in sexual hormone production around October, but obvious breeding behaviors begin to show in December as a general increase in dominance among the hierarchy. Both alpha-male and alpha-female step up their dominance frequency and severity toward all submissive members in an effort to reaffirm their breeding rights. This increase is a major reason why the Sawtooth Pack has experienced most hierarchy changes during winter. As the season progresses, the alpha-female will then begin to solicit attention from the alpha-male, or other males. She does this by performing behaviors that appear to be playful. She will approach the alpha-male and paw at his back or head, place her head across his back, or just simply stand or walk next to him, usually touching. In the beginning, the alpha-male usually returns a snap or growl in response to her advances. Other females may do the same behavior toward the alpha or other males, but are usually disciplined if caught by the alpha-female. Then, the females of the pack begin their estrus cycle, usually within a few days of one another. Once this occurs, the males of the pack begin to pay attention to the female advances. The alpha-female then increases her "flirtatious" advances toward the alpha-male, plus performs the ultimate sexual solicitation behavior of pushing her rump against the alpha-male's rump or side and curling her tail to the side (exposing her genitalia). This posture only occurs during peak breeding season and an excellent indicator of the next stage of the season, actual mating. Once the alpha-male catches on to her indications, he will then begin to reciprocate the play-like behaviors of placing his head over her back and sparring with her while both are standing on their hind legs (an action that resembles dancing).[3]

I would like superiority to be mainly on the ability to get food. Both lions and wolves hunt in packs. However, the organisation of wolf packs is simply transcendent.

A wolf hunt can be divided into five stages: -

1) Locating prey: The wolves travel in search of prey through their power of scent, chance encounter, and tracking. Wolves typically locate their prey by scent, though they must usually be directly downwind of it. When a breeze carrying the prey's scent is located, the wolves stand alert, and point their eyes, ears and nose towards their target. In open areas, wolves may precede the hunt with group ceremonies involving standing nose-to-nose and wagging their tails.[4]

2) The stalk: The wolves attempt to conceal themselves as they approach.[5] As the gap between the wolves and their prey closes, the wolves quicken their pace, wag their tails, and peer intently, getting as close to their quarry as possible without making it flee.[6]

3) The encounter: Once the prey detects the wolves, it can either approach the wolves, stand its ground, or flee. Large prey, such as moose, elk, and muskoxen, usually stand their ground. Should this occur, the wolves hold back, as they require the stimulus of a running animal to proceed with an attack.[7] If the targeted animal stands its ground, the wolves either ignore it, or try to intimidate it into running.[8]

4) The rush: If the prey attempts to flee, the wolves immediately pursue it. This is the most critical stage of the hunt, as wolves may never catch up with prey running at top speed.[9] If their prey is travelling in a group, the wolves either attempt to break up the herd, or isolate one or two animals from it.[10]

5) The chase: A continuation of the rush, the wolves attempt to catch up with their prey and kill it.[11] When chasing small prey, wolves will attempt to catch up with their prey as soon as possible, while with larger animals, the chase is prolonged, in order to wear the selected prey out. Wolves usually give up chases after 1–2 km (0.62–1.3 mi), though one wolf was recorded to chase a deer for 21 km (13 mi).[12] Both Russian and North American wolves have been observed to drive prey onto crusted ice, precipices, ravines, slopes and steep banks to slow them down.[13]

[4] Mech 1981, pp. 196–199
[5] Graves 2007, p. 43
[6] Mech 1981, pp. 199–200
[7] Mech 1981, pp. 200–201
[8] Mech & Boitani 2003, pp. 119–121
[9] Mech 1981, pp. 201–202
[10] Graves 2007, p. 43
[11] Mech 1981, pp. 202–203
[12] Mech & Boitani 2003, pp. 119–121
[13] Graves 2007, p. 45

ishallannoyyo forfeited this round.

Vote con.

I forfeited because of school starting in the comments.

Vote Con.

time to remake this debate.

vote con.

Starting school tomorrow. Excited.

Joking, hehe.

Class was good.

Mike Boogey, out!
Posted by adontimasu 4 years ago
Just letting you know RM, both of you shared BOP. The resolution implies that Con will be arguing in support of wolves.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
Don't worry, we've been taught properly.

Due to school starting for me in 3 days, I will have to FF two of my 4 debates, unfortunately I have chosen this one to be one of my FF's. Apologies to my opponent.
Posted by Manbearpanda 4 years ago
Ishallannoyyo, that's fine, so long as the resolutions are formed competently by one of your teachers and the definitions are OED definitions. If not, then you're not being taught to debate properly.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
The point is, where we debate nobody does semantics. I didn't even know what the word meant until I joined this site. The definitions are laid out, all are textbook dictionary definitions, and we debate (in teams of 2)
Posted by Manbearpanda 4 years ago
Ishallannoyyo, that's the point. One has to form one's resolution and definitions properly, so that a proper debate can be had. If one doesn't, then any competent debater will take advantage of the malformed resolution and/or definition(s) and win the debate using semantics. This is why critical thinking is vital.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
No one uses semantics because that isn't debate, we debate as is panda.
Posted by Manbearpanda 4 years ago
I am disappointed by your lack of banning prowess. Enjoy the emails.
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
Posted by Manbearpanda 4 years ago
Ishallannoyyo, do they teach you much about critical thinking in your debate club? It's very important to word all resolutions and definitions properly. If one doesn't, then a good debater can often irrefutably affirm or negate the resolution in no more than a few sentences, usually by using semantics.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
I suppose your right, the debate I do in my debate club is both Con and Pro have a BOP, no matter what the resolution.

RM, if you don't want a BOP it's ok.
Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded.
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: PRO conceded