dontdebateme
Factual_Intelligence

Literature is less important than it is made out to be in school

dontdebateme

dontdebateme

Pro

English Literature is taught already in primary school. But is it really that important to be able to analyse poetry, Shakespeare, and prose? While it is certainly important for writers and critics, I believe it should not be considered as important as it is now - it is compulsory to do in most schools.
Factual_Intelligence

Con

Literacy goes much further than analysis. Literature is a term used to describe written or spoken material. Broadly speaking, "literature" is used to describe anything from creative writing to more technical or scientific works, but the term is most commonly used to refer to works of the creative imagination, including works of poetry, drama, fiction, and non-fiction.

Therefore, the methods of writing or "literature" fortifies the meaning of itself by educating us not only "analysis" but creative writing which alters the process and methods of which your mind creates new information induced by a chosen topic. Literature is not something to be taken lightly, most definitely should schools introduce literacy from a young age onwards through your life. Analysis is merely a single aspect of literacy usually taught at a later age when your mind starts creating it's own theories regarding life's mysteries. I don't think you understand the definition of literacy which threw you off of this debate.

Please describe to me out of the new terms that you have leaned, which ones are impractical to modern society?
dontdebateme

Pro

What you said is very true and I"m glad that you brought this point up. Undoubtedly, it is of utmost importance to educate children how literature is used to manipulate the reader"s beliefs about a certain topic and people should be aware of this. Rhetoric is widely used by writers to enforce their ideas and beliefs. So it is important to understand contemporary writers" ideas.
But what about all those classics that are required to be studied for English Literature qualifications? Is literature "behaving" the same now as it was in Shakespeare"s day? I think you decided to stretch the meaning of literature to all written works so you could have some substance in your argument.
I think one can compare English Literature to Greek Mythology. Greek Mythology, as far as I can see, hasn"t got as great a position in education as it used to have in previous decades. Is this not because it is less important now in a modern society than it used to be? If so, surely classic literature is the same.
Furthermore, the analysis aspect is almost the only aspect of GCSE English Literature (in the UK anyway).So is it not true to say that those in charge of education have thrown away the important part of studying literature and kept the less important part? Formulating theories about life"s issues surely belongs in the philosophy department of education.
Factual_Intelligence

Con

"I think you decided to stretch the meaning of literature to all written works so you could have some substance in your argument." --You

I did not just come up with the meaning of literature, I have literally given you the definition of what literature is... If you think the definition of literature is "stretched" then feel free to phone up every dictionary company in the world and argue what the definition should be..."Greek mythology" is a short lesson held at a later age just to provide you with information regarding the past so that as evolution grows, the past is never forgotten and will fortify the future with all of our pasts issues. Subpar pieces of information is kept at a light level of education which lasts merely a short period of time being taught, the fundamentals of literacy is very important to everyday life which should most definitely be taught from a young age to many future years to come. Saying that you don't like literacy because a couple of lessons are boring to you doesn't mean anything. Schools wouldn't waste your time with stupidity so that you would suffer past unimportance.

This debate is basically over, there is no genius in he world who could claim that literacy is less important than we think. I have just explained to you why everything in literacy is being taught, I don't know what else you can argue against me?
dontdebateme

Pro

Okay, I didn't mean to offend you by that above statement. What I meant was that when I said literature I was discussing prose and classics as opposed to other types of writing. I believe what you said is totally correct, though I am still uncertain regarding the importance of analysing older classics. Incidentally, which country/state do you live in? I think there may be a misunderstanding due to different curriculums - the curriculum I am doing in the UK is as I have described it. This debate can continue regarding our opinions on how the teaching of literature should be shaped: what types of literature schools should focus on and in what ways.

However, I resent you saying that I am only arguing this because I am bored in lessons. Besides being false, this isn't exactly a good way of going about a debate. Patience is a virtue in debating and it is important to listen to what the other party has to say, however ridiculous it appears to be. People's opinions have to be respected. So I hope we can continue this debate and leave it having gained something from it.
Factual_Intelligence

Con

Alright, I just want to apologize to anyone reading this. I am going through a very rough time and I can't think of anything else other than things going on in my life. :( I think my arguments are valid enough for me to just leave it at that. I really wish I could continue this debate but I don't have it in me, life has brought me down and I just want to apologize for my absence :(

I forfeit
dontdebateme

Pro

dontdebateme forfeited this round.
Factual_Intelligence

Con

Factual_Intelligence forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
dontdebatemeFactual_IntelligenceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded the debate in the second-to-last round. Thus, Pro wins.