FanboyMctroll
Curly_Fryz

Living in the City vs living in the Country (rural setting)

Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

FanboyMctroll

Pro

I am going to debate for living in the country as opposed to a city. Some of my points will include, all the space in the country, way lower crime, no noise or pollution. Everybody knows everyone, people are relaxed and nicer in the country.

Let me know why you would want to live in a cramped 500 sq ft condo in a big city with noise, crime and crowds and traffic jams, no thank you
Curly_Fryz

Con

I'd like to see how you think living out in the country is better than the suburbs. Good luck.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

In the country I have all the space I need, I can have loud bonfire parties, I can park 30 cars all around my house because I have the space, I can grow my own food because I have fields. I still have all the comforts of the city, or suburbs like Internet, phone, tv cable and the big one privacy!! If I want to run around naked in the field I can because nobody will see me and complain or call the cops.

The suburbs suck because, houses are next to each other, you have to watch the noise level because some neighbor will call the cops, you have a limit of parking spaces, parking on the street will get you a ticket, bylaws to follow like having your lawn not over certain height, no bonfires in the suburbs, the cinders might catch your neighbors house on fire and he will call the fire department and you will get a $500 fine for burning in the burbs. No privacy, hope you have good blinds because all the neighbors will be gawking when they walk their dog past your house. And the big issue we can't forget, leaving for work in the morning and being stuck in a heard of traffic at the first light from your subdivision because every other Tom, Dick and Harry are on their way to work also, so it essentially takes you 20 minutes just to get to the highway which is 2 minutes away from your house.
Curly_Fryz

Con

1. "The suburbs suck because, houses are next to each other, you have to watch the noise level because some neighbor will call the cops." That's not really true. I don't know what kind of neighbors you have, but when you're being noisy, their first reaction isn't going to be "I'm gonna call the cops." Most of the time, they'll just leave you alone. And if they are being disturbed by the noise level, they might just tell you to turn it down a bit. But the only chances of this happening are at night. In the afternoon, you an have as much fun as you want. There's nobody trying to sleep, so nobody's going to care.
2. "You have a limit of parking spaces." Not really. Depending on the size of your garage and your driveway. Most people can fit two cars in the garage and two in the driveway if they had the money. Considering you aren't exactly "rich enough" to buy more than 4 cars, it shouldn't be a problem.
3. "Parking on the street will get you a ticket." Parking on the street will not get you a ticket. I don't know where you heard this, but it's definitely not true. You'll only get a ticket if you park in front of a fire hydrant, if you're blocking someone's driveway, or if there's one of those special reasons for bus pick up and drop off near schools or by the street. Other than that, you can park wherever you want.
4. "No bonfires in the suburbs, the cinders might catch your neighbors house on fire and he will call the fire department and you will get a $500 fine for burning in the burbs." Again, I don't know where you got this from. You can have bonfires if you want. Nobody cares if you have a bonfire in your yard. The cinders cant catch your neighbors' house on fire unless you make the fire a foot away from their house. The sparks from the fire die out about 2 seconds after they leave the base of the fire, and a spark or an ember wouldn't be enough to set a brick house on fire anyways.
5. "Leaving for work in the morning and being stuck in a heard of traffic at the first light from your subdivision because every other Tom, Dick and Harry are on their way to work also, so it essentially takes you 20 minutes just to get to the highway which is 2 minutes away from your house." If you want to avoid a traffic jam, just leave your house earlier. You leave your house late, get stuck in traffic, and expect to get to work on time. Just leave your house early and you'll have all the time in the world to get to work. Even if you do get stuck in traffic, you'll have lots of time to spare. Then again, the likelihood of getting stuck in traffic isn't very high anyways.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

Here is the problem with our debate, geography, it all depends where you live if you are comparing suburbs of a 50,000 people town or a 5 million city. I happen to live in a city of 3.5 million people and living in the suburbs. Now, laws, by-laws vary also depending on the country, state, city.

The points I brought up are for suburbs of a city of 3.5 million people, space is very limited and all the points relate to myself living there. I have had cops show up in the afternoon because my music was too loud, I have had the fire department show up at my neighbors because he had a fire in the back and the by-law states no fires unless you are cooking something. There is no parking on the street over 5 hours or you get a ticket, houses have a single driveway so you can't fit a second car. Traffic is 24 hours a day, like L.A. and for these reasons I say living in the country is better.

I grew up in the country and moved to the city because of a job but I'm planning on returning to the country eventually because of the points I made about living in the country. Hey, I can run naked if I want in the country and the people are way nicer and more genuine in the country as opposed to the rat race, everyone for themselves in the city.
Curly_Fryz

Con

I'd like to ask what city you're referring to. I've never seen a city that has such strict laws and regulations. Not only that, but I don't understand why anyone would call the police in for such an absurd reason. If anything, you should have named this debate "Is living in MY city better than living in the country?" Because that would've changed a lot. Not every city is like that. Different cities have different people and different rules. Just because you don't like living in that city doesn't mean wouldn't enjoy living in any other cities.
"There is no parking on the street over 5 hours or you get a ticket." Unless you live near a hospital, school, police department, etc, that rule wouldn't apply. If you live somewhere farther away from places like that, you can park there as long as you want. I always see people with parked cars outside of their houses 24/7 in the city. There are only parking meters and limits on time in front of those designated places.
"If I want to run around naked in the field I can because nobody will see me and complain or call the cops."
"Hey, I can run naked if I want in the country-" I'm not sure why you keep bringing up this point. Maybe the reason you actually want to move to the country is so you can run around naked. But hey, that's none of my business.
"The people are way nicer and more genuine in the country as opposed to the rat race, everyone for themselves in the city." Again, this is a biased opinion. Not all people in the city are mean, grouchy, terrible people. There are a lot of nice people in the city. Like I said before, it just depends on what city you live in and what the conditions are in that area.
Posted by Curly_Fryz 2 weeks ago
Curly_Fryz
No people, no rules, no hospitals nearby, no people to call an ambulance for you if you happen to break a leg and cant walk to the phone. You could try investing in Life Alert(lol), but even then, the hospitals are far away from the country. Along with everything else that could help you. House sets on fire, your house'll be burnt down by the time they get there. Not only that, but there are no fire hydrants in the country, so you're practically screwed in that situation.
(Also to sort of answer your last question, I have a relative that has 9 cats. They're allowed to since they have enough money to take care of all of them, and they care for all of them, etc. But I obviously stay as far away from that house because of allergies. Lol)
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 weeks ago
FanboyMctroll
Curly_Fryz, I don't know what sub division you live in but most subdivisions have by-laws against animals, my subdivision they were proposing having chickens in back yards but the vote was denied by city council, therefore no chickens, no pigs, and definitely no cows as most back yards are 50' x 70'. There is also a by-law that limits residents to 3 cats or dogs at most, therefore there is no unlimited amount of animals you can have.

Most cities, suburbs have specific by-laws that govern against these types of things, I have a bylaw that states, we are not allowed to hang clothes on clothes lines outside, (pretty stupid bylaw, so much for going green, they want you to use your drying and use energy) Somebody complained that they didn't want to see peoples underwear hanging outside so now we have the bylaw.

I don't know where you live but most suburbs have many by-laws and regulations because people live close together and someone always feels the need to bitch about something. And this is why I prefer to live in the country, no people, no rules, free man/woman!!!
Posted by Curly_Fryz 3 weeks ago
Curly_Fryz
@Chaiterlyn Well if you want to put it that way, technically in the suburbs you can own as many animals as you can house and TAKE CARE OF. By that I mean that if you have a big enough yard and a big enough wallet, you can get quite a few. Not only that, but you need to be able to care for them, know how to raise them, etc. Its another reason why they don't allow some people to have them since they don't have the proper training and experience. That would be a big problem out in the country since its a way longer distance to the vet, and to every other establishment for that matter.
Posted by Chaiterlyn 3 weeks ago
Chaiterlyn
I believe living in the country is better. There is as you said, more space, less people, more opportunities to do things without having the cops called on you, and many other things. Another thing is you get animals! In the country you can have as many animals as you can possibly want and afford, while in town you are limited in what animals you can own.
Posted by jo154676 3 weeks ago
jo154676
Suburbs and city are 2 different things lol