OpenMindedPerson1155
Actions_Speak

Logic beats Morality

OpenMindedPerson1155 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

OpenMindedPerson1155

Pro

Through this, I would like to express my opinion on why morality is an incompetent basis in making everyday decisions. First of; logic means reasoning conducted with strict principles of validity, therefore logic is unbiased. While morality may be ruled by right or wrong, not everybody has the same opinion on what is correct and what is not.
Actions_Speak

Con

I accept the debate, for definitions I wanted to keep it simply so from the same site and done early.
Logic[1]: a particular method of reasoning or argumentation
Morality[2]: conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.

[1]: http://www.dictionary.com...
[2]: http://www.dictionary.com...
OpenMindedPerson1155

Pro

Mankind was given the gift to think for themselves, through this gift we have advanced far beyond any other creature's capable of. It is because of the ability to make decisions that mankind has prospered thus far. But I believe, in order for man to continue moving forward, he must set aside morals and depend on logic and rationality in making decisions. Because, as I have stated before; Morality is biased and can be clouded by emotions. Logic on the other hand, carefully considers variables and thoroughly analyzes the problem in order to come up with the best possible solution. Though in some cases it may not seem ethical, such is a trivial matter when one talks about the greater good.
For Example:
When you are in a situation where you are given a choice to either spare the life of a loved one or the lives of a few random people.
Using morals, one would have a hard time choosing between the two, but most often times you would choose to save your loved one correct?
Actions_Speak

Con

I'd like to say my opponent has made some excellent points, I believe what my opponent is referencing is the moral sphere which looks something like this.

It illustrates the way life prioritizes life. It guides us and all sentient life on our evolutionary path to the present day. in which extremely intelligent life thrives. Simply put these values were shared by all sentient life, and are obvious from the actions of sentient life. If this is what we deem as morality which I happily accept for this debate then it's apparent that morality has enabled us to be sentient, or in other words Morality has enabled us logic. Helping prove my point, not that morality is necessarilly superior to logic but that they inevitably go hand-in-hand. Seeing as The debate is Logic beats morality my opponent has thrown the burden of proof on himself/herself to show this. To further my point as extremely intelligent beings we now have the choice to ignore the Moral Sphere and prioritize whatever we wish which to serve us in the future (ie:preserving our environment). In fact, I have seen quite the rant from a vegan in which she prioritizes the biosphere over her fellow human beings, in which she presented some fair points althought in my opinion she presented them angrily and poorly. [1]

Morality offers a safeguard and provides guidance for dilemma's in which situation logic would otherwise fail the individual. Logic and Morality go hand-in-hand and I have come to the understand that logic can never outright defeat morality. I credit my reading of The Moral Arc, an excellent read which reminds me of my deceased grandfather who served as a police officer in life. It mentions a beautiful example with the Prisoner's Dilemma. My preference of this particular dilemma, besides showing an example where logic fails an individual is because it's easy to understand

1. If you confess but the other prisoner does not you go free and he gets three years.
2. If the other prisoner confesses and you do not, you get three years and he goes free.
3. If you both confess, you each get two years.
4. If you both remain silent, you each get one year.
(Credit for this example goes out to Michael Shermer and his book the Moral Arc) [2]

In this example using common logic (The Moral Sphere) the two prisoners would be doomed to betray each other for self-preservation however this would backfire. The result is both prisoners Garnering a total of four years in Jail, where as if the prsoners believe in a morality as simple as "gang mentality" neither will betray the other resulting in a total of two years in jail.

[1] https://www.youtube.com...
[2] https://www.barnesandnoble.com...
Posted by canis 3 weeks ago
canis
No its not false..
Posted by Ragnar 3 weeks ago
Ragnar
@canis, thank you for the example of false logic.
Posted by canis 3 weeks ago
canis
Everything has its own logic as a relative. it was logic for person A to kill person B..Otherwise he would not have done it...logic..
Posted by Ragnar 3 weeks ago
Ragnar
Speaking as the most likely judge... Based on the rules outlined in the guide (they can all be supported with morality and logic, as the two things never need to be in opposition), the base definitions are accepted.

Definitions: https://docs.google.com...

And a template which may give inspiration: http://goo.gl...
Posted by vi_spex 3 weeks ago
vi_spex
heroin feels good i guess..
Posted by WOLF.J 3 weeks ago
WOLF.J
In an ideal world yes, but in all arguments, emotions and individual morals trump logic, otherwise logic is better.