cmcbride
Ameliamk1

Logically speaking, can the mind/consciousness be explained purely in terms of the physical?

cmcbride

Pro

I am for the idea that the mind is just the brain. I am to challenge that the mind is non-physical. In other words, I am for the notion that the experience of mental states such as desire, happiness and pain can be fully explained purely in terms of the physical. Some believe that mental states, such as desire, and the effects that the mental states have in decision making (for example, if I have the mental state of desire to eat ice cream, I will make the conscious choice to eat ice cream) do not have an explanation that can be uncovered in the realm of physical science. In contrast, I will argue that examples such as the ice cream example can be explained in terms of physical science.
Ameliamk1

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate over a very complex and difficult topic. I would like to clarify a few points and qualify my side of the debate before I allow my opponent his opening arguments.

I will be contending in this debate that there are aspects of the human brain not just that science cannot explain, but that science will never be able to explain. No matter how solid our understanding of neurons and receptors, certain findings and facts will never be properly accounted for by simply determining the correct combination of atoms.

I would note that I am an atheist, meaning I will do my utmost to avoid the "God-of-the-Gaps" argument. Furthermore, It means I do not believe in the existence of any specific non-physical realm, and will not rely on Religion or meta-physics in any sense.

With that said, I look forward to an engaging discussion, and my opponent's opening arguments. Good luck!
cmcbride

Pro

cmcbride forfeited this round.
Ameliamk1

Con

My opponent has forfeited his opening round, and thus conduct. However, if he still wishes to hold the debate, I welcome him to post his opening statements next round, and have his arguments still considered.
cmcbride

Pro

cmcbride forfeited this round.
Ameliamk1

Con

Ameliamk1 forfeited this round.
cmcbride

Pro

cmcbride forfeited this round.
Ameliamk1

Con

Ameliamk1 forfeited this round.
cmcbride

Pro

cmcbride forfeited this round.
Ameliamk1

Con

Ameliamk1 forfeited this round.
Posted by BakaliarosJrJr 1 year ago
BakaliarosJrJr
vi-spex, if you disaggre, challenge cmcbride. Cmcbride, i completly summerize your statement and i have thought it is obvious, although most (everyday) people that a told that, disagreed.
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
Indeed, if one is an atheist, nothing non-material exists and determinism is the only view.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
lol. It's obviously the first time you meet vi_spex. That's as clear as it gets.
Posted by cmcbride 1 year ago
cmcbride
@vi_spex Would you care to expand? Thanks.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
mind is unrelated to brain by function