Nik
doubled6

London is the best capital city in the world.

Nik

Pro

By best city in the world, I do not mean, most economically important. I view london the best city in the world from a cultural standpoint. If you live in london you begin to realise that what ever you want, london has to offer. The blend of victorian housing and ultra modern sky scrapers and office towers, means London has an image that is unique. The cultural diversity, though not liked by all londoners, creates a charm, that I think is also unique to this fantastic city! Please challenge my ideas, I want the person who challenges me to be equally passionate of their CAPITAL city. I naturaly expand on my argument when somebody challenges me!
doubled6

Con

I will make clear that my opponents opinion of London is fueled by nothing more than nationalism. This is most underscored by his statement, "I want the person who challenges me to be equally passionate of their CAPITAL city." I'm afraid I cannot live up to my opponents request, but don't fret. I will not require passion for my capital city, Washington, or limit myself to it to prove my point that: London is not the best capital city in the world.

In his statement, "I view London [as] the best city in the world from a cultural standpoint." Leads me to believe that my opponent has much yet to view. Take Jerusalem for instance. "Holy land" to three religions, Jerusalem, is inarguably more culturally and ethnically diverse than London-- having Arabic is the largest ethnic group of 42 percent as opposed to London's dominating 70 percent White [1][2]. I don't intend the reader to interpret diversity as the only gauge of cultural strength; I will leave that to Jerusalem's extensive history of war due to its own cultural significance. I know what your thinking, "I agree Jerusalem is culturally stronger, but I specifically said CAPITAL city." Let it be known that London itself is not the official capital city of the U.K. but rather the de facto capital since the monarchy[3]. Jerusalem having the same status, due to political tensions in the region, is a valid contender. Anytime.

My opponent all but surrenders to the fact that London is not the economic leader. Ranked sixth in the world, behind the capitals: Tokyo and Paris[4]. The numbers are clear.

What of my capital city Washington? Politically it is the strongest city in the world. With the most embassies and diplomats in the world, Washington is home to the largest, in volume and magnitude, decisions made on earth.

Lacking leadership politically, economically, and culturally, one would question how my opponent reached his conclusion in the first place. But looking past the numbers, London is in fact a First-Tier city, powerful in its own right; one might be fooled into considering it's dominance. Especially to those within its respective country.

[1]-http://www.cbs.gov.il...
[2]-http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk...
[3]-http://www.theworldinphotos.info...
[4]-http://www.itweek.co.uk...=
Nik

Pro

It is undeniably true that I am patriotic to my capital city. And that a few of the arguments posed by my opponent are undeniably true to a certain extent. Such as, that Washington Dc is more politically important than London. However It shall demonstrated that many of the views posed by my opponent are not true at all, and that shall be his Achilles heel as I shall put forward no untruths and prove that London is The best capital in the world, even with its weaknesses!
First and foremost my opponent makes the mistake in assuming my Nationalism has blinded me, and that my argument is fuelled simply by nationalism, let me tell you that this is not true what so ever and that many prominent Americans have also thought London to be The best capital in the world, let me quote from Bill Bryson's notes on a small Island "I can never understand why Londoners fail to see that they live in the most wonderful city in the world, It is far more beautiful and interesting than Paris" I don't think you can accuse this man of Nationalism!
Another mistake my opponent makes is saying that Jerusalem is more cultural not only due to its significance to three major religions, but for other reasons as well, as proved by the many wars it has had to suffer under. Can the opponent please specify which cultural aspects of Jerusalem APART from it religious significance, have caused it to suffer so many wars, as I am genuinely Intrigued to know!
Another question to my opponent is that, what do you mean lacking leadership politically? I assume you mean our prime minister Gordon Brown, in which case I would have to agree with you, however this debate is not on the politics of the UK but of London, in which case I think that our newly elected Major Boris Johnson is on the contrary a very strong political leader.
But I will stop questioning my opponents argument and expand further on why I think London is the best capital city in the world.
What defines London above all other capitals in the world is not that it's the best in one particular aspect of what makes cities great , But that it has many, many different aspects that make cities great. Let me explain:
New York, (since we no longer are talking about capital cities apparently) a huge bustling metropolis, economically one of the, if not the most important city in the world, art museums, Broadway. Truly a fantastic city, But does it have the history of London? Is the crime lower than London, does it have the beauty of London? Are the taxi drivers as friendly as London's? I would have to say conclusively no to all of these things.
In a recent international survey published by the Independent (I'm very sorry to say I could not find a link to this, but I assure you, I am not lying, and please feel free to research yourselves) London was voted Capital of the world 2008 even though it only ranked first in one of the criteria. This is key to understanding the brilliance of London. Yes the property prices are outrageously high, yes there is an increase in gang violence, and yes there is much to be improved on. But the point is, that even though it's not the best in everything, it's great in such a wide spectrum of things. What other city in the world are the strangers as friendly, the Taxi drivers as helpful, the Underground as useful, The parks as beautiful, The nightlife as brilliant, The culture as diverse, The history as ancient and the streets as clean?, Many perhaps, but all in one city? Most certainly not!
And what other city in the world marks the roads to tell you which way to look before you cross? Only London could be that thoughtful! The ball is in your court......
doubled6

Con

Initially I would like the reader to ignore my opponents quote, "I can never understand why Londoners fail to see that they live in the most wonderful city in the world, It is far more beautiful and interesting than Paris." Statements such as this could be attributed at any number of cities. It says nothing about the real value of London, however it actually contradicts my opponents main argument; it must be challenging to have such courteous taxi drivers when the majority of them believe to be in an inferior city!

I would also like the reader to dismiss my opponents suggestion that I have elevated the argument past capital cities. I have only used capital cities in my argument and therefore, his whole third paragraph must be reneged.

Concerning Jerusalem, my opponent states, "… please specify which cultural aspects of Jerusalem APART from it religious significance, …" In this my opponent shows his unwitting; culture is not easily group into discrete groups but actually a continuous array of interacting aspects of the society at large. This underscored by my opponent himself in his insistence that the reader not miss the word 'apart'. By agreeing with my analysis of culture; you are acknowledging that my opponent's view of culture is flawed. You must dismiss any argument he makes based on said views. Religion has dominated art, music, theater, etc... Jerusalem is home to Temple Mount, the Western Wall, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the Dome of the Rock and al-Aqsa Mosque[wiki]. I hope these mega-structures, know worldwide to hundreds of millions, do not discourage him from talking about his big clock. I would go further to illustrate the diversity of art due to religion or Paris as an artistic powerhouse alone, but that is not required.

My opponent has said nothing of value to merit London, other than his own experiences with nice people. Reader, there are many people with many nice stories about the cities they lived and visit. There are many pleasant stories, but there is only one greatest capital in the world. London it is not.
Nik

Pro

Thank you my opponent for offering me an detailed insight to the many flaws my debating style has, I assure you I will correct them in the future. And live in no fear that your impressive list of fantastic monuments will deter me from me from mentioning my 'big clock' because oh, what a mighty fine clock it is, not to mention the spectacular Big Ben behind it, or the masterful parliament beneath its feet, nor the spectacular Westminster Cathedral, infact the whole westminster palace is quite spectacular, and while I mention cathedrals, St Pauls is also too fine to miss of this weak list of mine. Perhaps I should mention the tower of london? And that the British Crown Jewels stored within are considered to be the most valuable and one of the largest jewellery collections in existence? Perhaps to this little list I could simply mention Greenwich? Its not that its historically significant or anything, I just thought I would mention it. Now since not all the audience will be convinced that Significant world heritage sites defines what is the worlds best capital city. Let me put forward why Jerusalem certainly is not the worlds best capital city. It has been the focal point, for which the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people have been suffered. A reason (not the only) for why the middle east hates the west, a furthermore a focal point for terrorist activity. A place for where hundreds of years hundreds of thousands perhaps millions (dont quote me on that one!)have died for the sake of some holy land. That is why it is an IMPORTANT city, Not the best. And since my opponent has not put forward any other capital cities to best my own. I can say no more. I can only hope the primarily American audience of this website, even if they vote for con, one day visits London and see for yourselves why it is my favourite capital city.

Thank you
doubled6

Con

My opponent has failed to provide evidence that London is the greatest capital. By exploring the strengths of many other capital cities I have shown that it is more likely that London is not the greatest capital. Although, I'm not opposed to vacationing in London.:P
Posted by YoungHoole 8 years ago
YoungHoole
I love London! It is so rich in history and culture. :D
Posted by Nik 8 years ago
Nik
Tough job convincing mostly americans to vote for london, but at least i go 15 votes!
Posted by Nik 8 years ago
Nik
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
Dont do anything differently on MY account.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
Okay, I'm posing something different.

But really, there is just too much spam debates on this beloved site. Personally, it bothers me. I don't want this site to become like most other sites on the interwebs. I dunno...

And I <em>do</em> occasionally explain why I vote a certain way if it's a close call. I'll try to do better Harlan.
Posted by SuperSexySmart 8 years ago
SuperSexySmart
i went against PoeJoe once already... but lets not get into the fact that i wont do it again {{veiw our argument && you'll see why lol, kool dude though >.<}}

Anyways...i have many family members from london, i myself have been there && ahhh its a great place but i wont really say its the best capital in the world... And i also think that New York && London are kinda the same as in what Pro was saying
Hope u understand Me
__LATERSS___
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
Poejoe, won't you ever provide something else than, I wont vote for this, or this is spam. They are all usually thought through comments, but it's the ONLY thing you comment.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
I'll refrain from voting in this one. It was very meh. Not very much was really said.
Posted by Nik 8 years ago
Nik
And i meant JOHNSON not JHONSON! what is wrong with me today??
Posted by Nik 8 years ago
Nik
Sorry for the typo, i meant Mayor Boris Jhonson not Major
Vote Placed by zakstarstriker 8 years ago
zakstarstriker
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by grecherme 8 years ago
grecherme
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 8 years ago
Labrat228
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by Nik 8 years ago
Nik
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by Biowza 8 years ago
Biowza
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by akshaygoel 8 years ago
akshaygoel
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by Jonngotti 8 years ago
Jonngotti
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by Josh 8 years ago
Josh
Nikdoubled6Tied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Nikdoubled6Tied