UnendingRevision
Laserfighter12

Long Summer Breaks for Elementary and Middle School students Should be Eliminated

UnendingRevision

UnendingRevision

Pro

The 3-month long summer vacation that is common in public schools across America should be reduced for the benefit of the students. Shorter, more frequent breaks, should replace the system that we currently have in place. The only exception would be 11th-12th grade students who should have those months off and be provided the resources and guidance to find summer jobs, thereby easing their transition into adulthood.
Laserfighter12

Con

Kids need to have time taken off from school because kids might be stressed if they don't have time to spend with family and friends.
UnendingRevision

Pro

I am not arguing that students don't get time off. Rather, I am suggesting that they have breaks every 10-12 weeks. These breaks could last between 1-3 weeks each. This would give them sufficient time to recover from the stress of school and spend time with friends and family. However, the duration would be short enough that they wouldn't experience the serious effects that a 12 week vacation has on a student's education. An analysis of 39 studies concerning summer breaks showed that students lost "one month on a grade-level equivalent scale". This effect is most prominent in Math, which is a vital subject area, especially in the world we live in today.

"The Effects of Summer Vacation on Achievement Test Scores: A Narrative and Meta-Analytic Review" Cooper, Harris; Nye, Barbara; Charlton, Kelly; Lindsay, James; Greathouse, Scott. Review of Educational Research, Fall 1996, 66, 3, Proquest pg. 227
Laserfighter12

Con

Laserfighter12 forfeited this round.
UnendingRevision

Pro

As a teacher myself, I am sure many educators would oppose this plan. Teachers enjoy their time off as much as their students. However, we must overcome the selfish desires that we have for vacation time since it is harming the children in the long run.
Certain charter schools have experimented with longer school days and fewer breaks in between. One of the most notable charter schools are the KIPP schools, which have invaded poor and under performing neighborhoods and had a significant positive effect on their students. Test scores are up in almost every school and the rate of graduation and future college attendance are dramatically affected by their new model.
Laserfighter12

Con

Laserfighter12 forfeited this round.
Posted by Kane3 2 years ago
Kane3
UnendingRevision: Sorry for not responding for so long, I've not used this website much and couldn't find where this argument was. Lol. I'm glad you think my arguments are actually any good. :)
Posted by UnendingRevision 2 years ago
UnendingRevision
Undoubtedly, students think about time they will soon have off. However, I don't think it consumes their thought process as much as you imply. If that was the case, it would mean we should send them to school on Saturdays and Sundays as well. We have weekends off (students from school and most people from work), because we recognize that that time off helps their brains recuperate from the stresses of the school/work week.
These breaks would have a similar rejuvenating effect without the documented and proven educational declines that our current 3-month long summer breaks create.

P.S. I should have debated you Kane. You've got a much better argument and have more persistence than the other guy.
Posted by Kane3 2 years ago
Kane3
UnendingRevision: I would argue that students may not be able to retain information as easily because they are having too many breaks scattered around the year. You'd probably spend more time focusing on the upcoming break rather than being fully committed to your work. Therefore, the teachers might set homework for them to revise the things they have learnt to prevent loss of the knowledge throughout the break, but that doesn't guarantee that all of them will do it. Yes they might start to slack off in the knowledge that a long holiday awaits them, but having a lot of shorter ones might have the same effect, just more frequently.
Posted by UnendingRevision 2 years ago
UnendingRevision
Kane: I would argue that students slack off so much because their semesters and breaks are so long. When you've been at school for 15 weeks straight, sure a student might slow down knowing that the long holiday awaits them. However, with frequent breaks and shorter (and more frequent) school terms, you're less likely to see students slacking off.
Posted by Kane3 2 years ago
Kane3
Oh no, I disagree. Children in school will always know when a break is coming up and start to slack when the holiday becomes closer and closer. Scattering lots of breaks around the school year might not help, as the child will constantly think "Oh, I may as well not bother because I'm going to be off for x-days anyway in a few days." However, if you leave it all until the end of the year, they have nothing to slack off for and therefore might do better.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
UnendingRevisionLaserfighter12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture