KennyMcCormick
dog7

Lorde is the best idol singer for children

Started: 7/10/2015 Category: Music

KennyMcCormick

Pro

She is the best, because she doesn’t sing about drugs, sex, or partying a lot, She sings about the real world.
dog7

Con

I disagree. When you say Lorde does not sing about drugs or partying, just take a listen to her most popular song and you'll easily find that is not the case. "But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom
Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room (Royals)" This one stanza includes drug use in the first part of it and partying in the second part of it. I would definitely not want to hear any kid repeat that stanza. Also, she has publicly dissed many celebrities, setting another bad example for kids.
KennyMcCormick

Pro

She said: "But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom, Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room. WE DON"T CARE, were driving cadillacs in our dream."
She wanted to say that now everybody sing about the popstar"s money, their hotel rooms or their love life. But we don"t care about it, we don"t want to know it.
I think she is the best, because she doesn"t parading herself like a whore. She is something different. Pop-music artists always flash tits and crotch and the most kids are actually smart enough to be sick of it.
dog7

Con

Even though Lorde may not sing about drugs as frequently as other artists, you still can't argue that her album was titled Pure Heroin. Moving away from that, Lorde has shamefully criticized dozens of hardworking artists like Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez and has only apologized to a couple. Taylor Swift is an incredible artist, person, and role model, but Lorde clearly said that "she isn't a good role model for woman." For her to criticize another peer like that reveals she isn't a humble person because she thinks she is doing her job better than they are. She also promotes bullying to the kids listening to her. While Lorde acquires many positive traits, I would not consider her as a good role model for our world's youth.
KennyMcCormick

Pro

Her album name is Pure Heroine, not Pure Heroin. (You can check it here: https://en.wikipedia.org...) Heroine means the female hero, not the drug.
You said that she critized a lot of models, artists, singers. Yes, it"s true. But she only critized people, who are parading themself like a slut, and they showed the worst example for children. (I"m not saying that Selena Gomez isn't hard working or talented. I used to love her and I was a big fan of her until she began to behave like a bitch.) Or she critized them, because they always sing about how rich they are, or about their luxury. And that"s why I say that she is a very good ideal. Children usually can"t find differences between the good and the bad things so if nobody critizes the artists like Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus, they may follow them. (In this case I mean the behaviour like a whore is the bad thing.)
But let"s go back to the album. If you saw her album cover, you can see that it is very minimalist. Why? Because she wanted to avoid the image that is similar to the other popstars (I mean the kitschy, luxurious image). She wanted to show that she is an ordinary girl. That"s why she always sings about thought-provoking and real things. In her songs, she critized other artists. She is brave, isn"t she? She must be very brave and self-confident if she can quirk to the biggest popstars. And at the end, I think her voice is also really cool. :)
It seems to me that Lorde is very respectable, because she represents something in all of us. A truth that wants to be heard.

This is my last round, so thank you for debate with me. :)
dog7

Con

I agree with almost all of your last points, and I admit I misread the title of the album. Oops! You have convinced me that Lorde is a good role model for kids, but that still wasn't the goal of the debate. The goal was to claim that she was the BEST idol singer for children. Many other singers could deserve that title much more than her, like Kelly Clarkson. She has shown us countless times that women don't need to be a size 2 to be beautiful or likeable, and all you need is confidence. She displayed that when she shut down a body shaming critic with class saying "Oh, and she's said something nasty about me? That"s because she doesn"t know me. I"m awesome! It doesn"t bother me. It"s a free world. Say what you will."(Bumble.com) If this kind of confidence could rub off on her young fans, it could definitely help them deal with bullies/haters and help them appreciate themselves better. She has also penned many hits that give inspiration to kids. "Stronger" talks about turning the "bad" moments in your life and turning them into strength, "Dark Side" is about admitting and revealing imperfections and showing how "nobody's a picture perfect," and "Breakaway" is about flying away from your comfort zone or the norm to reach for the stars and accomplish your dreams. Kelley also has donated to 25 different causes, (looktothestars.org) and she really is just a great person on and off the stage. I searched through the internet to find one thing bad about her, and I simply couldn't. She is a VERY good role model.
To sum up what I've been trying to say, Lorde is a good role model compared to most singers these days. She doesn't sing about drugs, sex, or show off her body inappropriately at all. However, she has talked bad about countless celebrities, some of which were "bad", but some of which were "good." This doesn't make her a bad role model, but it doesn't make her the best like you claimed. This is noticeable when comparing her to Kelley Clarkson, whom I consider a much better role model than Lorde. Unlike Lorde, she has never bad-mouthed anyone, even the people that said "Jesus, what happened to Kelly Clarkson? Did she eat all of her backing singers?"(Bumble.com) She has also donated to 22 charities v.s Lorde's one, (looktothestars.org) and her songs and personality are definitely things that you want a kid to be inspired by. Lorde's a great person and I love her songs, but she's not the absolute best idol singer.

Thanks creating the debate, Good luck!
Posted by Baraggan22 1 year ago
Baraggan22
She says "EVERY SONG IS LIKE..." to which she is implying that all songs sung out there nowadays have to do with drinking and drugs. If you are going to try to base a point soley around that aspect, disclude the part that negates the entire purpose of your arguement Con. As for the other 7 billion people on the planet, do you really think that all of them are famous. If you were to go out on the street and say, " Do you know who so and so is." And the reply is yes, then you do this with a few more people and get the same reply, that person is probably famous. That is the whole point of this conversation. It isn't said in the title, but it is suppose to be inferred. But, the rest is all on Pro with an opinionated discussion such as this. One more thing there are more people like this such as Adele.
Posted by Emilrose 1 year ago
Emilrose
Wtf is an "idol singer"?
Posted by Donderpants 1 year ago
Donderpants
@mfigurski80
To be fair, how many of those 7 billion are idol singers?
Posted by mfigurski80 1 year ago
mfigurski80
She is the best of all? Out of 7 billion people, she is the best idol singer for children? Heavily doubt that.