person_16
Gao

"Love" is a State of Mind

person_16

Pro

Love is constantly being referred to as an emotion. I find this to be incorrect. Love is a state of mind that involves emotions, but is not an emotion in itself. I will go into depth of my theory once the debate gets rolling.

Not to sound picky, but I'd much rather hold this debate with an open-minded individual. So if you are going to approach this debate with, "You're stupid for thinking that because blah blah blah...you idiot," don't hold your breath expecting me to tolerate or respond to that, because chances are I won't.

I'm not joking about my above statement.

BTW, I chose the category for this debate to be "Education" because I didn't know what else to select it as and because I think that both sides can learn something from this.
Gao

Con

You say that Love is not an emotion but a 'state of mind', i fear i must disagree on this. Although All Emotions seem to create each other Love as Joy or Loathe is felt in one's soul like any other Emotion. one cannot understand Love though they may Dissect it
person_16

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate! I've been thinking about this and if I were able to persuade someone with my reasoning, at least one person, I'd be satisfied.

Reason why I believe Love to be a state of mind rather than an emotion is because emotions vary so much on one's surroundings and are too easily felt.

If Love were an emotion, like happiness, we'd be walking around falling in love with people left and right. But seeing as how one unconsciously chooses with whom they fall in love with (example; how a girl would develope a crush on a handsome guy rather than an unattractive one or "likes" their same gender), it must be a state of mind.

Say you meet someone. You spend time with them, get to know them, and you slowly realize that you enjoy being around this person. In your mind, you think that you like this person, and that's when the feelings for them kick in. Until after you begin thinking of their compatibilty with yourself will you begin feeling things like empathy, caring, happiness, aka love for said person. You could also meet someone and only know them for a brief amount of time. They could make you laugh and stuff, but you don't fall in Love with them just because they temporarily make you happy.

What also supported this theory of mine is how people have different opinions of what Love is, just like how everyone doesn't share the same thoughts. Simple things like emotions, happiness and anger, etc., can be described in about the same way by everyone. Love is too complex to be watered down to an emotion.
Gao

Con

Bravo! however I must still disagree with your view on emotion. true if Love was as simple as Joy or Anger, the entire World would be falling in and out of love as quickly as a change of clothes. No Love is not simple, but very complex and as you say varies among diffrent people. You say that everyone feels the same toward happiness? nay i know that i get happinss Snakes while my brother gets joy from his pet dogs very diffrent yet the same joy. love is unique and yet it is the same emotion. For example Joy is a good feeling thus emotion. anger feels Hot,sorrow feels cold, love feels warm. it is sad that Feelings have been made so primitive but i hope that you understand that love is indeed an emotion ah here is my chart:
Joy Anger Sadness stage EMOTIONS!
Love Loathe Fear State EMOTIONS!
Pain Hate Depression Effect EMOTIONS!
there are stages for the stage emotions
mental states for the state emotions
and lasting effects from the Effect emotions
person_16

Pro

Everyone has something that makes them happy, whether its different from another. Like eating escargo makes me happy and it makes my friend gag. But everyone knows for sure what makes them happy and everyone knows what makes them sad or angry. Because they are basic, identifiable emotions. But they never really know who they will fall in love with until they meet someone and decide, "Hey, I love this person."

There's also the matter of loving someone like a family member, a mother or father, brother or sister, etc. If a person grows up in a loving household, he or she grows to love their family in return if they have no reason to hate them. Or if you lived in the unfortunate circumstances I grew up with, the way you think of your parents changes. I didn't know my dad, and I didn't live with my mother long (thank God) but the more I learn of them, the more I hate them. Like how you hate that total jerk in your class that throws stuff at you or your friend for no reason. That's just an example if you don't go to school anymore.

While Love really does seem very similar to an emotion, I still firmly believe that it is a state of mind, something you have control over, that can be affected by your emotions if you choose.

I believe that the mistake of thinking that love is an emotion and getting lost in it like you would an emotion is what makes a heart-break so much harder than it has to be or how people "fall in love" too soon. Maybe that's just the way I am. Maybe I always keep people at arms length and too afraid to take a risk. I have not yet fallen in love with anybody because I don't really care if I do or not. If I meet someone I really like and and decide that I may be love with that person, good for me. But that's not really a priority of mine.

Thanks again for this debate. I can't wait for your response and read some people's comments!
Gao

Con

And thank you for such a wonderful Argument! Yes it does seem that you must find some one you love and also that love seems to 'grow' in a relationship.
And yes it is easy to feel that Love is evaluated by ones mind. but I am here to explain why love is an emotion, let's look at the opposite of love, loathe a perfect opposite of everything love is do you not know things you dislike thus avoid them, also you run to things you do like the thing you like you love the dislikes become loathe. I believe I mentioned before that Love is a State Emotion an emotion that depends on one's state.
I used to love my brother Kuzan more than any one else. then he killed himself. do I resent him though I resent suicide? nay my love did decrease but emotions cannot be broken. the mind can. how can Love be a state of mind when the mind can so easily be broken and love cannot? on note I speak of True Love not Lusts or Flames or Crushes pure LOVE in every emotional aspect of the word.

thx;P
Posted by person_16 9 years ago
person_16
I know this is a little off topic, but can anyone tell me if it is possible to change your debate.org penname? I've looked every which way and still have no idea if it's possible. I think I'm getting bored with "person 16," but I don't know for sure...if there's no way to change my penname, then I'll just be content with it but if there is I'm considering changing it.

What do you guys think?
Posted by Gao 9 years ago
Gao
yaknow i think the real problem i've come to find is we shouldn't try to define emotion we try to lable them as this or that but honestly, emotions are so deep that we couldn't fathom what are and arn't emotions! i did love the debate and must say that in the book i'm writing all of your theories shall find a place. but from what you've said i guess there is no emotion only mental feelings personafied into what we lable as emotions.
Posted by verbivore 9 years ago
verbivore
Emotion can be defined as a conscious mental reaction subjectively experienced as strong feeling usually directed toward a specific object and typically accompanied by physiological and behavioral changes in the body. I think "infatuation", which often is mislabeled as love but yet can at times transcend into the real thing, could be mistaken as emotion because we "feel" so strongly about the other person or if we are really honest because that other person makes us "feel" so good. (a whole other debate...is love selfish?) However, real love (rare and too complex to explain here, if even possible), though it can evoke such feeling, is actually a conscious act. For if you truly love someone, you are driven to sacrifice for this person, sometimes at your own loss.
Posted by Lysis17 9 years ago
Lysis17
Love evokes strong emotions so it is natural for us to tend to label it an emotion. It is so complex though as it does not take on a definite form. Like water it tends to take different forms depending on it's container.

I always found it strange that sometimes people can't control who they fall in love with. If love was a concious choice then why would people fall in love with those that society tells them not to..different races,classes,large age differences,same sex, etc. Seems the greatest love stories of all time were those that were forbidden. Why would one choose to love another if it is more apt to bring heartache?
Posted by person_16 9 years ago
person_16
Hmm...interesting. What you're saying sounds a lot like what I said in round 1, "Love is a state of mind that involves emotions, but is not an emotion in itself," only in your own words. But thank you for your opinion. That's why I started this debate; to receive feedback or opinions of my theory and see if there are people that would agree or disagree with me.
Posted by MidnightDaze 9 years ago
MidnightDaze
im gonna agree with both of you, and disagree with both of you. Every emotion is a state of mind conflicting with a persons view to a counter reaction. Example, If you meet someone, begin to get used to them and enjoy their company, eventually you'll learn to depend on the person and notice when their not around, then even further along the line you'll grow to love them.

Emotions grow off other emotions, thoughts, feelings, reactions, problems, interpretations, likes, dislikes, etc. We grow how we are raised and react how we are taught. Therefore... person_16, i believe love is an emotion, simply created...from a state of mind.
Vote Placed by lastronin 9 years ago
lastronin
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by Deku90 9 years ago
Deku90
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by shalanthemagnif 9 years ago
shalanthemagnif
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by Black.Nite17 9 years ago
Black.Nite17
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by llama_girl 9 years ago
llama_girl
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by Gao 9 years ago
Gao
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by verbivore 9 years ago
verbivore
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by armychick 9 years ago
armychick
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by Lenfent 9 years ago
Lenfent
person_16GaoTied
Vote Placed by reachingformore 9 years ago
reachingformore
person_16GaoTied