TropaBino
Timothhy

Love is merely an action.

Timothhy has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

TropaBino

Con

This is a 4 round Debate.

In mainstream Christianity love is just an action. You hear things like: "You must love everyone, but you don't have to like them." When people say this, they are implying that Jesus is only asking you to do good things for someone and that you don't need to like them.

----------

I believe this is wrong teaching. In my opinion God is literally asking us to have an emotional connection with everyone. That emotional connection would be the greatest emotion, Love.
When a mother loves her child, she doesn't just do good things for him/her and likes him/her, she actually profoundly loves the child.

I haven't really presented any arguments, I just wanted to give an opening statement and let the Pro/For begin.

----------

Anyone that does not agree is free to debate. I will have great pleasure in doing so and I am open to persuasion.

P.S.
This debate is directed only to Christians, because we would be in the same place and would be thinking in the same terms.

Timothhy

Pro

Love is a hormonal reaction to an opposite sex showing interest for each other. This makes each sex constantly think about each other and many confuse it with love, this is the same case with personalities. Our "souls" are really just years of evolution of different generations altering their actions for survival.
TropaBino

Con

Ok. So is it an action or an emotion?
E.g. I love that person. I loved that person.

What i am asking you is do we need to like the person to love them.

I can see you are not christian, so i'm not sure if this debate is for you. Because I am talking about something very specific to the christian faith. Not love as secular people would use it.
Basically I am talking about this: Jesus tells us to love everybody. is this do loving actions to everybody or have emotional connections with everybody.

I did say this in round one.
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
I agree with you. The people who say love them but don't like them need to take a closer look at the Bible.
Posted by TropaBino 1 year ago
TropaBino
Rjupudi18; absolutely right.

divergent_ambon; Go ahead then, you can start your arguments on the first round.
Posted by divergent_ambon 1 year ago
divergent_ambon
Love to debate you on a topic of the Bible from a progressive, skeptical perspective, TropaBino.
Posted by Rjupudi18 1 year ago
Rjupudi18
I absolutely agree. Unlike people, God looks not only at our actions but also our hearts and minds. Love is not action. Actions are the embodiments of feeling. Love is no exception. Jesus said the two greatest commandments were to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and love your neighbor as yourself. He didn't say "pretend to love your neighbor by doing good deeds to them but it doesn't matter if you really love them or not". We can't love people until we truly love God and when we understand His unconditional love and mercy, we can spread that love to others!
Posted by TropaBino 1 year ago
TropaBino
1 Corinthians 13:4-8

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
What is love anyway ? I love most things...
Posted by iOfTheThou 1 year ago
iOfTheThou
I agree